256MB ATi Radeon 9800 Graphics

Old September 4th 04, 08:08 PM
Matthew 'Sharky' Partridge

Default 256MB ATi Radeon 9800 Graphics

I'm thinking of buying the following from Tiny (for £899)

Pentium 4 3.0GHz HT Processor
1024MB DDR RAM
256MB ATi Radeon 9800 Graphics

1) Any issues with any of the hardware - how is the graphics card rated
2) Will this system play most software (eg Doom 3, Max Payne 2)
3) How 'futureproof' is this?
Old September 6th 04, 01:16 AM
Bennos

Man, get it! Then go out and get Doom 3 quick.

I just upgraded to a 9800Pro (only the 128Mb model) for Doom 3 and it made a
huge difference from my 9200SE. I have a P4 3.0GHz with 512Mb RAM. It plays
Doom 3 pretty good but I reckon that doubling my RAM would improve little
things like the 'very occassional' stutters and crashes.

"Matthew 'Sharky' Partridge" wrote in
message om...

Old September 6th 04, 01:55 PM
James

Tiny/Time computers are a pain.

It comes with an "optimised" modem that will only work with their ISP
until you regter with them.
They don't provide the windows software, and if you pay extra you can
get a set of restore disks.
Office is only a trial so you will have to buy it or use your old
copy.
Tech support costs a feckin fortune even if the smallest thing goes
wrong.

Apart from that it's a good spec. I've just had to help out a few
friends with these machines, and am sure i had more hair before i
started.

"Bennos" wrote in message ...
Man, get it! Then go out and get Doom 3 quick.

I just upgraded to a 9800Pro (only the 128Mb model) for Doom 3 and it made a
huge difference from my 9200SE. I have a P4 3.0GHz with 512Mb RAM. It plays
Doom 3 pretty good but I reckon that doubling my RAM would improve little
things like the 'very occassional' stutters and crashes.

"Matthew 'Sharky' Partridge" wrote in
message om...
I'm thinking of buying the following from Tiny (for ¢G899)

Old September 10th 04, 02:08 AM
DWGriffin

Bennos, just wondering if your P4 is the prescott core, and if so,
what kind of cpu temps are you getting? My 2.8E idles over 55
sometimes 60+ Celcius