200 GB IDE hard disk read as 128GB

Old July 22nd 04, 07:46 AM
Tian

Default 200 GB IDE hard disk read as 128GB

I have recently purchased a Maxtor 200 GB size IDE (ATA133) with an
external hard disk enclosure, and attach it to a notebook via fire
wire (IEEE1394) connection. To overcome the capacity barriers, I have
enabled 48-bit LBA by installing SP1 and "Maxtor Big Drive Enabler" in
my Win XP. However, after all this, the system is still only able to
recognize 128GB instead of 200GB (using Disk Management). I tried
partitioning it, but also did not able to regain the lost capacity. It
seems like the steps I have taken is only for connecting to main board
via IDE connection, but not when connected as external drive via fire
wire. Does anyone have a similar experience or solution for this
predicament? Thanks in advance.
Old July 22nd 04, 08:20 PM
Rob

First off, don't ever use FDISK from Win98 on a drive you plan to use
in XP.

Second, XP with SP1 will let you use all of the drive, beyond 128
gigs, only after you install SP1. Unless you install XP from a XP disk
with SP1 "slipstreamed" in it already, that is.

You most likely need to use Disk Manager to add a second partition, to
access that other 70 gigs of space. To launch disk manager,
right-click My Computer, choose Manage. Then in the Computer
Management MMC, find Disk Manager, and select the drive. It should
show the extra 70 gigs of unpartitioned space.

The only way to make that extra space available on your primary
parition, is to use Partition Magic (or another partitioning program
that works with NTFS) and stretch it to fill the unpartitioned space.

(Michael P Gabriel) wrote in message m...
(Tian) wrote in message . com...
I have recently purchased a Maxtor 200 GB size IDE (ATA133) with an
external hard disk enclosure, and attach it to a notebook via fire
wire (IEEE1394) connection. To overcome the capacity barriers, I have
enabled 48-bit LBA by installing SP1 and "Maxtor Big Drive Enabler" in
my Win XP. However, after all this, the system is still only able to
recognize 128GB instead of 200GB (using Disk Management). I tried
partitioning it, but also did not able to regain the lost capacity. It
seems like the steps I have taken is only for connecting to main board
via IDE connection, but not when connected as external drive via fire
wire. Does anyone have a similar experience or solution for this
predicament? Thanks in advance.

Hi! With a Western Digital 80G drive, I spent two weeks

struggling. I tried FDISK, and several Western Digital Diagnosis
utilities.....still could find only 40 instead of 80. I returned it
to W.D.

Have you tried to format it with Fdisk? You'll find Fdisk on the
WIN98/Win98SE diak. It asks if you wnt to adjust so you an read large
drives. Also look in your BIOS for a possible setting. Nothing worked
for me, but you might save some time trying a few things before you
return it. Sorry, I'm not familiar with MAxtor.
I also let SUSE LINUX read it...found only 40.