300W PC Power Supply - AT vs. ATX form

Old June 3rd 04, 02:13 PM
Fred Zimmerman

Default 300W PC Power Supply - AT vs. ATX form

My local computer shop guy told me that I need a 300W AT form Power
supply for my AMD (Asus Mboard) mini-tower PC.

When I went to 2 or 3 websites selling PC power supplies, they all
list 300W supplies as ATX form.

What is the difference, and can I use an ATX instead of an AT form
supply.

Thanks.

F.Z.
Old June 3rd 04, 08:38 PM
Aaron

(Fred Zimmerman) wrote in message . com...
My local computer shop guy told me that I need a 300W AT form Power
supply for my AMD (Asus Mboard) mini-tower PC.

When I went to 2 or 3 websites selling PC power supplies, they all
list 300W supplies as ATX form.

What is the difference, and can I use an ATX instead of an AT form
supply.

Thanks.

F.Z.

I'm not sure on this, but the main difference is with the motherboard
plug. An AT has two plugs that go to the motherboard, and you want to
plug those next to each other so that the black wires are in the
middle. If you don't, you have problem. But, now adays, the going
standard is ATX (should be what you have, if your motherboard at all
recent). ATX has a twenty-something plug, which only fits one way.
As far as I know, power supplies only come one way or the other. But
now that I think about it, I am to young (17) to have ever seen an AT
power supply for sale, at least since I have been knowledgeable about
computers. It is possible that there is an adapter that would go
between the two, but I have my doubts about that being able to work.

Actually, I don't think it is possible. ATX connector has a "power
supply on" pin that detects if there is a motherboard plugged in to
the power supply, and won't let the juice flow until it know that.
Here is an ATX pinout information page:

http://xtronics.com/reference/atx_pinout.htm

And here is one for AT:

http://www.epanorama.net/documents/p...connector.html

Here is a page full of AT/ATX power supply information:

http://www.epanorama.net/links/psu_computer.html

Hope you get things figured out,

Aaron
Old June 4th 04, 01:51 AM