HDTV Output Capability on X800 PRO or 9800??

Old July 11th 04, 06:56 PM
J Wilson

Default HDTV Output Capability on X800 PRO or 9800??

Does anyone know if there is the capability to connect this card to
an HDTV via the RGB ( YPbPr) input on HDTV sets.

I thought I read somewhere that there is even software with the X800
to configure this properly.

Thanks

Joe
Old July 11th 04, 07:51 PM
Jeff B

J Wilson wrote:

Does anyone know if there is the capability to connect this card to
an HDTV via the RGB ( YPbPr) input on HDTV sets.

I thought I read somewhere that there is even software with the X800
to configure this properly.

Thanks

Joe

I had a x800pro for
a short while (sent it back). I used the VGA output to drive my
Samsung DLP set, worked great for playing HDTV files.

I'm pretty sure an adaptor is shipped with the x800 cards (ATI) to
convert from 15 pin VGA to component RGB.

Old July 11th 04, 08:29 PM
J Wilson

Thanks!

Just Curious though as to why you sent it back.

Joe

Old July 11th 04, 09:16 PM
J. Clarke

J Wilson wrote:

Does anyone know if there is the capability to connect this card to
an HDTV via the RGB ( YPbPr) input on HDTV sets.

I thought I read somewhere that there is even software with the X800
to configure this properly.

Any of the ATI boards from 8500 on have been able to display on an HDTV
using component inputs. I believe that earlier models can as well, the
8500 is the earliest that I'm sure of.

In some cases the necessary adapter comes with the board, in others you have
to order it off the ATI web site. The boards will detect the adapter and
if it is detected then configuration is done the same way as for any other
display, with appropriate settings appearing "automagically".

Thanks

Joe

--
--John
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)
Old July 12th 04, 03:43 PM
Jeff B

J Wilson wrote:
Thanks!

Just Curious though as to why you sent it back.

Joe

Worked fine, OCed to 537/550 GPU/mem.
I sent it back because I ordered a x800xt PE, so I had no need
for the pro. At he time I ordered the pro, the xt wasn't out.

Jeff B

Old July 13th 04, 10:48 AM
Chris Liberti

All you have to do is get a VGA to component transcoder and use powerstrip
to set the custom resolution you need for HDTV (do not use the ATI Dongle,
it will not let you up-convert DVD)

Old July 13th 04, 05:04 PM
Tsunami

While strolling carefully through the minefield that is Usenet, on
Tue, 13 Jul 2004 09:48:23 GMT, "Chris Liberti"
wrote:

All you have to do is get a VGA to component transcoder and use powerstrip
to set the custom resolution you need for HDTV (do not use the ATI Dongle,
it will not let you up-convert DVD)

Is that true component output (i.e. separate channels for RGB) and is
it significantly better quality than the S-VHS output from my Radeon?
--
Tsunami
"the geek shall inherit the earth"

Old July 13th 04, 06:11 PM
J. Clarke

wrote:

All you have to do is get a VGA to component transcoder and use powerstrip
to set the custom resolution you need for HDTV (do not use the ATI Dongle,
it will not let you up-convert DVD)

Is that true component output (i.e. separate channels for RGB) and is
it significantly better quality than the S-VHS output from my Radeon?

If it's a "true component transcoder" then it is.

Old July 18th 04, 10:17 PM
Wblane

Would it be possible to ditch a standard, computer CRT and just use a HDTV as
your primary monitor? Are HDTV's multi-synch or fixed frequency? Can they
display text modes as well as 640x480 and 1024x768? How much would a 25" HDTV
cost?

Please respond by email as well as posting because I'm really interested in
this particular topic (i.e. replacing my CRT w/some sort of HDTC [maybe a
25"]).

Old July 21st 04, 01:39 AM
J. Clarke

Wblane wrote:

Would it be possible to ditch a standard, computer CRT and just use a HDTV
as your primary monitor? Are HDTV's multi-synch or fixed frequency? Can
they display text modes as well as 640x480 and 1024x768? How much would a
25" HDTV cost?

Please respond by email as well as posting because I'm really interested
in this particular topic (i.e. replacing my CRT w/some sort of HDTC [maybe
a 25"]).

If it's the right TV, but quite honestly a 25" HD is not going to be much of
an improvement over a 21" monitor unless you really want the 16:9 aspect
ratio.

As to the rest of your questions, it's a "definite maybe"--you have to read
the specs on the particular set you're looking at. Some are full-fledged
PC monitors that also have HD tuners. Others are very limited. As to how
much a 25" HDTV would cost, did you at least _try_ to Froogle '25" HDTV'?