seagate drrive sector issue

Old November 23rd 09, 07:22 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
uche

Default seagate drrive sector issue

Guys I will obtain one of these drives:
http://www.seagate.com/docs/pdf/data...rracuda_es.pdf

The spec shuet, under organization. says it is able to run in 520B
sector mode in SAS. Do you know of any controller I can buy that will
run in a mode that is not 512 B sector, 520 or 520 B preferrably.
Also, I called seagate and i was told that once the user tells the os
to change its cluster size to another other than 512, then
reformatting will be impossible .. does that make any sense ??
Old November 23rd 09, 07:55 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Arno[_3_]

uche wrote:
Guys I will obtain one of these drives:
http://www.seagate.com/docs/pdf/data...rracuda_es.pdf

The spec shuet, under organization. says it is able to run in 520B
sector mode in SAS. Do you know of any controller I can buy that will
run in a mode that is not 512 B sector, 520 or 520 B preferrably.
Also, I called seagate and i was told that once the user tells the os
to change its cluster size to another other than 512, then
reformatting will be impossible .. does that make any sense ??

Sounds to me the 520 B mode is simulated using 512 B sectors...

Incidentially, reformatting as in filesystem creation should be
entirely unaffected. Maybe you cannot go back to the base 512B
sectors. I frankly see no reason why, maybe marketing.

Arno

--
Arno Wagner, Dr. sc. techn., Dipl. Inform., CISSP -- Email:
----