Updating an XP box

Old December 11th 18, 03:03 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Paul[_28_]

Default PCIe , Was: Updating an XP box

Bill wrote:

I think there is an option in the BIOS concerning how well that you want
your memory to be "checked" when the system is booted. The entire
purpose of that option is to be able to shorten the boot time. You
probably know more about this than I do...

Bill

It's actually an OS boot delay.

I ran a boot trace on it, and there is a CPU limited activity
for about 20 seconds, with no disk access or named routines
showing in the trace.

I haven't run a boot trace on the 32 bit boot up to compare.

People have probably heard of this.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Addres..._randomization

But I don't think this activity is related to that, as ASLR
should just be for program launches.

My BIOS RAM test is turned off.

*******

The reason I was even testing a 32-bit OS, is I was making
a 32-bit Macrium Emergency Boot CD. If you boot with Macrium, I
discovered I can run 32-bit HDTune from there. (Run the HDTune
off the Program Files of the hard drive C: .) This allows
benchmarking without OS maintenance screwing up the trace.
The installed 32-bit OS was just a staging area for that
test. I wasn't doing the install as an everyday driver
or something.

Paul
Old December 11th 18, 09:41 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Flasherly[_2_]

Default Updating an XP box

On Tue, 11 Dec 2018 06:56:19 -0600, pheasant16
wrote:

If I have trouble bringing it back, know where to come for advice.

Something, in the meantime, to useful in preparation with getting a
start. They may be old for fundamentals, but fundamentals can still
at times figure for broader application.

https://www.hiren.info/pages/bootcd