Star Lite Linux laptop

Old September 23rd 20, 07:05 AM posted to comp.os.linux.hardware,alt.comp.hardware
Tiger Taurus

Default Star Lite Linux laptop

On 2020-09-18 10:06 p.m., VanguardLH wrote:
Tiger Taurus wrote:

Has anyone tried one of these? Any good?
https://starlabs.systems/pages/lite-mk-iii

https://www.google.com/search?q=star...top%20 review

1st hit:
https://liliputing.com/2020/07/star-...26-and-up.html
"... laptop with budget specs."

Thanks, though you'll note that the question wasn't "are there any
reviews of this product on the web?"

I was asking if anyone who reads this group has had personal experience
with it. Rather sassy of you to imply that I don't know how to use a
search engine.
--
https://gab.com/tigertaurus
https://liberdon.com/@tigertaurus
Old September 23rd 20, 10:30 AM posted to comp.os.linux.hardware,alt.comp.hardware
Stephane Tougard

["Followup-To:" header set to comp.os.linux.hardware.]
On 2020-09-23, Tiger Taurus wrote:
Has anyone tried one of these? Any good?
https://starlabs.systems/pages/lite-mk-iii

I was asking if anyone who reads this group has had personal experience
with it. Rather sassy of you to imply that I don't know how to use a
search engine.

I did not even know the brand, just watching the web site and already I
can see that the keyboard sucks at very best. I would not say much on
the screen, I notice that they don't say how many nits it gives, which
is not a very good sign.

Capacities are impressive for the price, I would not trust this kind of
hardware on the long run. I prefer to pay expensive and get the quality,
I work only with Thinkpad so far but I'm still waiting for an
alternative (through the keyboard of the last X1 sucks).

Beside that, I guess nobody has tried one of those because they are on
Pre-order only. But I'm curious to get some feedback as well.

Old September 24th 20, 08:44 AM posted to comp.os.linux.hardware,alt.comp.hardware
VanguardLH[_2_]

On 2020-09-18 10:06 p.m., VanguardLH wrote:
Tiger Taurus wrote:

Has anyone tried one of these? Any good?
https://starlabs.systems/pages/lite-mk-iii

https://www.google.com/search?q=star...top%20 review

1st hit:
https://liliputing.com/2020/07/star-...26-and-up.html
"... laptop with budget specs."

Thanks, though you'll note that the question wasn't "are there any
reviews of this product on the web?"

I was asking if anyone who reads this group has had personal experience
with it. Rather sassy of you to imply that I don't know how to use a
search engine.

I knew you'd come back with that response.

Look at your original inquiry. You did NOT ask if anyone here has used
the computer. You asked has ANYONE tried one of these. I answered what
you actually asked. There was what you meant to say, and there is what
you actually said.
Old September 25th 20, 10:23 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
[email protected]

Look at your original inquiry. You did NOT ask if anyone here has used
the computer. You asked has ANYONE tried one of these. I answered what
you actually asked. There was what you meant to say, and there is what
you actually said.

Now you are the one that seems to be confusing the issue....How in Heavan's name can someone use
without trying it first.

Just remember flame burn the victims as well as the starter sometimes.

Old September 25th 20, 07:36 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Paul[_28_]

wrote:
Look at your original inquiry. You did NOT ask if anyone here has used
the computer. You asked has ANYONE tried one of these. I answered what
you actually asked. There was what you meant to say, and there is what
you actually said.

Now you are the one that seems to be confusing the issue....How in Heavan's name can someone use
without trying it first.

Just remember flame burn the victims as well as the starter sometimes.

This whole thread, as a spamming effort, speaks poorly of the company in question.

Paul
Old September 28th 20, 07:28 PM posted to comp.os.linux.hardware,alt.comp.hardware
VanguardLH[_2_]

Stephane Tougard wrote:

["Followup-To:" header set to comp.os.linux.hardware.]

Ignored since I read it in alt.comp.hardware. Original Newsgroups
header restored.

Tiger Taurus wrote:

Has anyone tried one of these? Any good?
https://starlabs.systems/pages/lite-mk-iii

Beside that, I guess nobody has tried one of those because they are on
Pre-order only. But I'm curious to get some feedback as well.

web.archive.org lists the first instance of this web page was recorded
back on June 22, 2020, and it was on pre-order back then (for $421). 3
months later it is still available only via pre-order. If you want to
see their production schedule, see:

https://support.starlabs.systems/status

Guess delivery depends on when you enlisted in their pre-order sales.
From "Mk IV's are on their way to us" hints that someone else is making
their laptops and they just slap their sticker to brand them as theirs.
From https://starlabs.systems/pages/about-us, I got a grin from the
comments on "pub" and "pints". They say they started with Clevo
(https://www.clevo.com.tw/) as their supplier, but have tooled up to
make their laptops themselves. Okay, they why does their product status
mention they are still waiting for shipments?

Back then, they listed Pentium Silver N5030 as the CPU. Now they're
listing the Pentium Silver N5000 as the CPU. The differences between
then and now, and for the SAME model, a

Then Now
Price: $421 $431
Processor: N5030 CPU N5000 CPU
Faster: 34% @ 3.1GHz 29% @ 2.7GHz (burst, not sustained)
Charger: 65W 60W (different units)
Open warranty: Not mentioned Yes
Preinstalled OS:5 listed 6 listed (MX Linux added)

They claim "faster", "lighter", and other superlatives but never
actually expose against what they are comparing. Faster than what?
Lighter than what? They're even crappier Mk I or II models? They don't
say. They have asterisked some specs, but no matching note for the
asterisked comments. Guess you're supposed to visit their Compare page,
where they compare against their notebook with a larger screen (13")
hence the obvious reason why the MK III is lighter (11"). The Compare
page was available for their current product page. web.archive.org
didn't have their Compare page archived back on Jun-22-2020. There are
other comparisons they deliberately omitted, like the MK III has a 480p
camera versus the 720p in their 13" model.

The MK III has the same 7-hour battery up-time as the 13" comparison
model; however, another reason besides the smaller screen for their
claim of weight reduction is that the comparison model has a bigger
battery for use with the bigger screen. So, the MK III gives you a
smaller screen and smaller battery to reduce weight but with a 2"
smaller screen and definitely less robust CPU.

Have to wonder how they can claim their MK III is faster than their 13"
model. The MK III has a 1.1GHz quad-core N5000, 2.7GHz burst, 4MB cache
versus their 13" which has a 2.1GHz dual-core i3, 4.1GHz burst, 4MB
cache. Two extra cores will look good in benchmarking, not in actual
use. The same 2400MHz DDR memory is listed for both yet they claim
their MK III has 33% faster memory. In their product description, they
omit noting the MK III uses the UHD 605 integrated controller versus the
UHD 620 in the 13" comparison model. A comparison of them is noted at
https://tinyurl.com/y6j4r8cs. I also saw reviews noting the MK III had
problems rendering web pages at Facebook which many users expect to
visit.

The MK III reminds me of my first smartphone. That was before I knew
much about smarphones and based my purchase on brand (Samsung),
marketing, misleading model numbering, and price. Boy, was I sorry I
got that one. Way too slow. For example, I was at the dentist office,
wanted to check my schedule, and after 2 minutes gave up waiting for my
phone to come up and told them to just go ahead and make the
appointment. The MK III looks like a very low entry level netbook, but
perhaps sufficient for low-level Linux demands. The OP never revealed
how he expects to use a laptop and only Linux.
Old September 29th 20, 12:10 AM posted to comp.os.linux.hardware,alt.comp.hardware
VanguardLH[_2_]

On 2020-09-18 10:06 p.m., VanguardLH wrote:
Tiger Taurus wrote:

Has anyone tried one of these? Any good?
https://starlabs.systems/pages/lite-mk-iii

https://www.google.com/search?q=star...top%20 review

1st hit:
https://liliputing.com/2020/07/star-...26-and-up.html
"... laptop with budget specs."

Thanks, though you'll note that the question wasn't "are there any
reviews of this product on the web?"

I was asking if anyone who reads this group has had personal experience
with it. Rather sassy of you to imply that I don't know how to use a
search engine.

I knew you'd come back with that response.

Look at your original inquiry. You did NOT ask if anyone here has used
the computer. You asked has ANYONE tried one of these. I answered what
you actually asked. There was what you meant to say, and there is what
you actually said.

Here's a guy that has personal experience with the Star Labs MK III:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-aIyQ_XiFYg

Alas, nope, he doesn't visit here, either.
Old September 29th 20, 03:40 PM posted to comp.os.linux.hardware,alt.comp.hardware
Andrew[_9_]

VanguardLH wrote:

On 2020-09-18 10:06 p.m., VanguardLH wrote:
Tiger Taurus wrote:

[...]

Interesting video.
- he was not happy with the USB port allocations (1 x usb-c and 2 x
usb-a instead of vice-versa)
- he was unhappy with the Micro-SD slot
- the speakers are placed *really* badly
- he was not happy that the only available keyboard was UK, not even US.
- he thought it insane that the Intel IME was enabled in the bios.

There was more to the video of course, but those are the complaints that
I remembered. Apart from those issues he liked the beast a lot, and it
could handle multiple distributions.

Linux-based Windows 12 Lite is '3x faster than Windows 10' and'immune from ransomware' Anonymous Remailer (austria) Homebuilt PC's 18 February 14th 20 05:06 PM
Linux Laptop [email protected] Dell Computers 1 August 4th 07 10:06 PM
Linux on Laptop jtsnow Homebuilt PC's 8 February 1st 05 12:42 AM
Linux on Laptop? jtsnow Dell Computers 3 January 29th 05 06:35 PM
Athlon 64 Laptop for Linux Alan Walpool AMD x86-64 Processors 7 August 28th 04 09:49 AM