What PC hardware diagnostic stress-testing freeware can you recommend?

Old September 21st 20, 11:29 PM posted to alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.comp.microsoft.windows,alt.comp.hardware
Mike Easter

Default What PC hardware diagnostic stress-testing freeware can yourecommend?

Arlen Holder wrote:
Mike Easter wrote:

Likewise, I think using it for your daily driver is a disadvantage in
the diagnosis business. The tweaked OS has two many unknowns.

It hasn't BSOD'd in a few days, running 24/7, where I thought you'd be
interested in a "WhySoSlow" Analysis, after 24 hours of use as the dd:

The only anomaly I see is the mouse every once in a while is glitchy,
in that it doesn't move for a microsecond and then recovers, which happens
relatively frequently (about once an hour or so on average or so).

What kind of mouse? USB or PS/2 - optical or ball

But I don't know of any tool, yet, that monitors mouse "glitchiness".
o Do you?

No.

RAM: 16127 MB total

I tho't you were previously using 32G.

While the test was idle, your CPU usage ranged from 18.7% to 60.8%.

What kind of 'idle' is that? (that is 20-60% cpu?)

During the test hard pagefaults ranged from 0.0 to 9.1 pagefaults per second.
The values reported are considered excellent.
More info..http://www.resplendence.com/whysoslow_help_hardpagefaults

I read that page. I don't understand why there should be the kind of
pagefaults it is reporting (9/sec) if you have 16G of ram.

https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/...ts/ba-p/373120
The Basics of Page Faults

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Page_fault
Illegal accesses and invalid page faults, as invalid conditions, can result in a segmentation fault or bus error, resulting in programming termination (crash) or core dump, depending on the operating system environment.

Major page faults on conventional computers using hard disk drives for storage can have a significant impact on performance, math operations then the page fault would make the operation about 40,000 times slower.

--
Mike Easter
Old September 22nd 20, 04:58 AM posted to alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.comp.microsoft.windows,alt.comp.hardware
Arlen Holder

On Mon, 21 Sep 2020 15:29:24 -0700, Mike Easter wrote:

What kind of mouse? USB or PS/2 - optical or ball

Hi Mike,
Thanks for asking, where I was hoping to pick folks' brains to locate
specific debugging software to stress test the mouse and its drivers.

The mouse is a USB optical mouse, which is so worn that whatever
manufacturer was printed on the outside is long gone, but the "Mouse
Properties" in the control panel says the manufacturer is Microsoft
and that it's an "HID-compliant mouse".
o Win+R control main.cpl Hardware Properties
But it's easier to just remember this instead:
o Win+R control mouse
[I strive to do everything from the Win+R menu that I can.]

Looking at the same info in the Device Manager for the mouse:
Win+R devmgmt.msc
I noticed I have it set to be able to wake the computer but for the
computer not to turn it off in low power situations, which is fine.

The Sieber USB Device Tree Viewer tells me something completely different
though, as it says the "idVendor" is Lenovo, and the iProduct Language
is "Lenovo USB Optical Mouse", which I didn't expect since the Device
Manager said it's Microsoft. Oh oh. Logitech also shows up, so maybe the
USB tree view is "remembering" old devices since the app has been running
for days on end. Let me kill & restart it after clearing out all the USB
entries by running the Sieber "Device Cleanup" tool.

Nope. All three, Microsoft, Lenovo, and Logitech show up in the Sieber USB
Device Tree Viewer for that port. Go figure.

But I don't know of any tool, yet, that monitors mouse "glitchiness".
o Do you?

No.

Well, what I'll do is swap in another mouse, but all my mice are old, so
maybe it's time to buy a new one.

RAM: 16127 MB total

I tho't you were previously using 32G.

Naah. You thought that when you saw the MemTest86 results.

I saw that you said that it was 32, oh, more than a week ago, but I didn't
correct you 'cuz it didn't matter and we were working on tougher problems,
like solving how to set up the Hirens Boot CD over USB for BIOS instead of
for UEFI.

It's been 16GB all along.

While the test was idle, your CPU usage ranged from 18.7% to 60.8%.

What kind of 'idle' is that? (that is 20-60% cpu?)

Well, I dunno. I was just using the PC normally. For me, normal is not
gaming, nor do I run simulations, nor CAD design, etc.

That was the whole point of the 24 hour test of "WhySoSlow", which was to
check the PC in normal conductions. For sure, I could have run any number
of CPU and GPU and RAM stress testers during that time frame which would
have maxed out everything, but the point was normal use.

Normal use for me is email, reading the news, editing some photos, editing
some MS Word documents, installing some software, etc. You know, normal
stuff.

During the test hard pagefaults ranged from 0.0 to 9.1 pagefaults per second.
The values reported are considered excellent.
More info..http://www.resplendence.com/whysoslow_help_hardpagefaults

I read that page. I don't understand why there should be the kind of
pagefaults it is reporting (9/sec) if you have 16G of ram.

I don't understand the pagefaults either.
Why is it dumping stuff out of RAM if it has plenty of RAM?

I also don't understand the kernel responsiveness either bearing in mind
usually the first BSOD is related to a kernel error of some sort:
o https://i.postimg.cc/9Q4m7tfM/bsod01.jpg [UNEXPECTED KERNEL MODE TRAP]
o https://i.postimg.cc/DyNFnJcK/bsod02.jpg [KERNEL SECURITY CHECK FAILURE]
o https://i.postimg.cc/zGRNBzdH/bsod03.jpg [Preparing Automatic Repair]
o https://i.postimg.cc/9McHJGcy/bsod04.jpg [Diagnosing your PC]
o https://i.postimg.cc/qq5fJSyG/bsod05.jpg [Automatic Repair?]
o https://i.postimg.cc/JnFKGLYt/bsod06.jpg [Automatic Repair failed]
o https://i.postimg.cc/gk3FFSr3/bsod07.jpg [Reset your PC]
o https://i.postimg.cc/Pq30z0Fn/bsod08.jpg [Booting, ferris dots]
o https://i.postimg.cc/JnSgSZLT/bsod09.jpg [Lock screen success]
o https://i.postimg.cc/XYnhMnR0/bsod10.jpg [MEMORY MANAGEMENT]
o https://i.postimg.cc/zGpQ89NH/bsod11.jpg [POST STOPS BEFORE FINISHING]
o https://i.postimg.cc/1XxCvSG2/bsod12.jpg [Booting, ferris dots]
o https://i.postimg.cc/T2mHpyG6/bsod13.jpg [KERNEL SECURITY CHECK FAILURE]
o https://i.postimg.cc/g2cMSNhz/bsod14.jpg [Booting, ferris dots]
o https://i.postimg.cc/5t6s1ypD/bsod15.jpg [SYSTEM SERVICE EXCEPTION]
o https://i.postimg.cc/T1X0r9GX/bsod16.jpg [KERNEL SECURITY CHECK FAILURE]
o https://i.postimg.cc/2yFwTZ8L/bsod17.jpg [Lock screen success]
o https://i.postimg.cc/8khtTqBk/bsod18.jpg [UNEXPECTED KERNEL MODE TRAP]

https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/...ts/ba-p/373120
The Basics of Page Faults

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Page_fault
Illegal accesses and invalid page faults, as invalid conditions, can result in a segmentation fault or bus error, resulting in programming termination (crash) or core dump, depending on the operating system environment.

Major page faults on conventional computers using hard disk drives for storage can have a significant impact on performance, math operations then the page fault would make the operation about 40,000 times slower.

Hmmmmmm... I need to learn more about these page faults.
Old September 22nd 20, 05:19 AM posted to alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.comp.microsoft.windows,alt.comp.hardware
Arlen Holder

On Tue, 22 Sep 2020 03:58:07 -0000 (UTC), Arlen Holder wrote:

[...]

So I plug in a mouse that says it's a "GE" mouse (who knew that GE made
mice?), and I clear out the old USB devices in the registry and I restart
the Sieber USB Tree View, and now it doesn't say Lenovo or Microsoft
anymore for that mouse.

It doesn't say GE or General Electric either.
o It just says "USB Optical Mouse"

The Device Manager says "Microsoft Mouse" so I think that's what it must
say for all mice, AFAICT.

Funny thing is I pressed "View all Events" in teh device manager for the
mouse and it said "Add snap-in" whatever that is, and then after a minute
of that "Adding snap-in to console" stuff, it brought up the event viewer.
o https://i.postimg.cc/mDCjtT7K/mousediag01.jpg

But the events were just the plugin and plugout that I just did.
o What's this "Snap-in" stuff anyway?
https://kb.iu.edu/d/ajlv
Win+R mmc File Add/Remove Snap-in
(Jesus, there are a lot!)

Anyway, in the twenty or so minutes using this second mouse it hasn't hung
up so I suspect time will tell, but maybe that one particular mouse if
flaky (although it's got a good connection as Sieber would have told me if
it had disconnected momentarily).

Anyway, I think I need a new mouse.