A question about boxes.

Old September 1st 09, 04:58 PM posted to uk.comp.vendors
Trust No OneŽ

Default A question about boxes.

I notice that whatever the size of my order, the box that it ships in from
Ebuyer always matches its dimensions perfectly.

Somehow I doubt that they keep a vast set of boxes in storage of all
possible sizes

My guess is that Ebuyer and other larger etailers use some type of machine
that works out the size of the box based on the contents of the order and
manufactures it to size.

Is this how things work?

--
Peter X-Files fan

Old September 1st 09, 07:04 PM posted to uk.comp.vendors
Rob Morley

On Tue, 1 Sep 2009 16:58:51 +0100
"Trust No OneŽ" wrote:

I notice that whatever the size of my order, the box that it ships in
from Ebuyer always matches its dimensions perfectly.

Somehow I doubt that they keep a vast set of boxes in storage of all
possible sizes

My guess is that Ebuyer and other larger etailers use some type of
machine that works out the size of the box based on the contents of
the order and manufactures it to size.

Is this how things work?

I was going to say "think of all the left-over bits of cardboard they'd
have to deal with" but I suppose they might save enough in shipping,
and get enough back from recycling, that it would be worthwhile.

Old September 6th 09, 11:26 AM posted to uk.comp.vendors
Jeff Simpson[_2_]

On 1 Sep, 19:04, Rob Morley wrote:
On Tue, 1 Sep 2009 16:58:51 +0100
"Trust No OneŽ" wrote:

I notice that whatever the size of my order, the box that it ships in
from Ebuyer always matches its dimensions perfectly.

Somehow I doubt that they keep a vast set of boxes in storage of all
possible sizes

My guess is that Ebuyer and other larger etailers use some type of
machine that works out the size of the box based on the contents of
the order and manufactures it to size.

Is this how things work?

I was going to say "think of all the left-over bits of cardboard they'd
have to deal with" but I suppose they might save enough in shipping,
and get enough back from recycling, that it would be worthwhile.

They will have customised box sizes based on their typical
requirements. Anyone who ships large quantities will have customised
boxes made...smaller players will have boxes that are stock sizes from
carton suppliers.

Anybody built any boxes with 8 or 16 GBs of RAM Pete Harrington Overclocking AMD Processors 0 February 14th 07 04:54 AM
Why are mainboard boxes already opened? John Doe Homebuilt PC's 105 October 15th 06 09:57 PM
Shipping Boxes Tim Homebuilt PC's 10 January 8th 05 07:25 PM
Windowsupdates for NAS boxes Scott Storage & Hardrives 0 June 29th 04 08:18 PM
IBM to use 4-way Newisys boxes? Yousuf Khan General 0 January 13th 04 02:07 PM