Upgraded to AMD XP processor, now windows slower!

Old December 9th 03, 05:55 PM
dbd

Default Upgraded to AMD XP processor, now windows slower!

Hi,
I have an Abit Kt7a mobo and just upgraded my 1.33 GHz processor to a
1800XP (happily running at 2GHz). The strang thing is that in Windows
(2000 Pro) when I ran the UT2k3 benchmark the FPS dropped by 5,
instead of going up because I now have a faster proccessor.
Currently windows sees it as an unknown proccessor (but maybe because
my mobo don't officially support it, but the abit newsgroup ppl say it
shoud be ok).
Do you think I need to re-install windows, or is something strange
going on.
Also, I would run tests in Linux, but I can't remember my old results,
so can't compare. (It says 3984 bogomips if that helps.)

thanks

dbd
Old December 9th 03, 06:00 PM
IC

dbd wrote:
Hi,
I have an Abit Kt7a mobo and just upgraded my 1.33 GHz processor to a
1800XP (happily running at 2GHz). The strang thing is that in Windows
(2000 Pro) when I ran the UT2k3 benchmark the FPS dropped by 5,
instead of going up because I now have a faster proccessor.
Currently windows sees it as an unknown proccessor (but maybe because
my mobo don't officially support it, but the abit newsgroup ppl say it
shoud be ok).
Do you think I need to re-install windows, or is something strange
going on.
Also, I would run tests in Linux, but I can't remember my old results,
so can't compare. (It says 3984 bogomips if that helps.)

thanks

dbd

What video card are you using? It may be the card was running as fast
as possible with the other CPU and a faster one won't necessarily give
you more FPS.

Old December 9th 03, 08:45 PM
Edster

I also run a 1800+ @ 2Ghz on a KT7-Raid with Win2K Pro and everything runs
faster on the system regardless if the BIOS says unknown processor type!
Perhaps something has changed or has degraded on the OS itself!

om...

Old December 10th 03, 05:16 PM
dbd

"IC" wrote in message et...
dbd wrote:
[...]

An Nivida GeForce 4 Ti4200 128MB, but the fps went from 35 down to 30,
and I
expect at least 45-50 with this new processor.
Also, windows says it is an unknow processor (not just the bios saying
that) when I right click on my computer. Is that normal?
Old December 10th 03, 05:40 PM
IC

dbd wrote:
"IC" wrote in message
et...
dbd wrote:
[...]

That's normal. Since the BIOS doesn't have the exact model stored, it
says "unkown" CPU. It's not important. All that's important is that
the CPU is running at the speed you want.

Now, to the video card. The TI 4200 is an "older" card on the same
scale as the ATI R8500 and they are DX8 cards; not DX9 capable. I'm not
surprised there's little difference with a faster CPU.
Why the 5 FPS difference? Got me. Maybe try re-installing the drivers
(or updating them) and/or reinstall Wondows. It's not hardware related
(except for the limitation of the video card).

Old December 10th 03, 06:24 PM
Wes Newell

On Wed, 10 Dec 2003 09:16:17 -0800, dbd wrote:

"IC" wrote in message
et...
dbd wrote:
[...]

I'm not a windows person, but I'm pretty sure you have to let windows know
about the cpu change. You went from a cpu that doesn't support SSE to one
that does. You might be able to do a repair install, like with WinXP, or
maybe with 2000 you do it some other way. Check system properties or
reinstall.

Old December 11th 03, 07:44 PM
dbd

Wes Newell wrote in message t...
On Wed, 10 Dec 2003 09:16:17 -0800, dbd wrote:

"IC" wrote in message
et...
dbd wrote:
[...]

Reinstalled, same problem.
Old December 11th 03, 07:46 PM
dbd

"IC" wrote in message et...
dbd wrote:
"IC" wrote in message
et...
dbd wrote:
[...]

What about windows saying unknown?
Also, direct X says unknown, 3dnow, sse, ~1.8GHz (I've nocked it back
down to default clock speed).

Now, to the video card. The TI 4200 is an "older" card on the same
scale as the ATI R8500 and they are DX8 cards; not DX9 capable. I'm not
surprised there's little difference with a faster CPU.
Why the 5 FPS difference? Got me. Maybe try re-installing the drivers
(or updating them) and/or reinstall Wondows. It's not hardware related
(except for the limitation of the video card).

Yeah, but UT2k3 is a directX 8 game, so having a directX 8 card
(admittedly one of the slower ones) shouldn't bottle neck it that
much, and a faster CPU should not slow it down.
Old December 11th 03, 07:50 PM
dbd

Wes Newell wrote in message t...
On Wed, 10 Dec 2003 09:16:17 -0800, dbd wrote:

"IC" wrote in message
et...
dbd wrote:
[...]

Sorry to post again (stupid 8 hour google groups delay) but what bios
should I be running. I have a Kt7a 1.2 mobo, but will the 1.3 bios
work (with proper XP processor support)?