Sound chipset on Abit NF7-S

Old September 30th 03, 10:31 PM
John_2001

Default Sound chipset on Abit NF7-S

In few months I'll buy MB ABIT NF7-S with Sound SoundStorm 5.1 chipset, and
Barton 2500+
Now I have P3, ASUS motherboard and Creative Labs Live 1024 sound card with
3D Surround.
Is it SoundStorm chipset better than my old SB Creative Labs sound card?
Can I continue to use my old SB CL on my new motherboard?

tnx

Old October 1st 03, 10:18 AM
John Russell

"John_2001" wrote in message
In few months I'll buy MB ABIT NF7-S with Sound SoundStorm 5.1 chipset,

and
Barton 2500+
Now I have P3, ASUS motherboard and Creative Labs Live 1024 sound card

with
3D Surround.
Is it SoundStorm chipset better than my old SB Creative Labs sound card?
Can I continue to use my old SB CL on my new motherboard?

tnx

"better"?
If you connect it to a DD 5.1 surround system and arn't plagued by clicks
and pops too much it's fantastic. If you connect via analogue then you can
get awful problems resuting from the crap realtek DAC.

On the other hand if EAX is your thing then nothing beats creative. But
creative Live cards have clicks and pops in non-intel boards such as VIA,
and this is a non intel board.

Old October 1st 03, 10:52 AM
Morgan

In few months I'll buy............

I bet they will be on another revision or two by then :-)

--
Regards

Morgan

Old October 1st 03, 11:02 AM
Ogre

I use a NF7 board with a Soundblaster live 4.1 digital, sounds sweet
with the creative 4.1 speakersystem

Ogre

Old October 1st 03, 11:06 AM
Alan

If I am correct, your SB is 2 channel? The sound on the NF7-S is 5.1, plus
it has SPDIF out. I comes with quite an array of equalizing adjustments,
very much an improvement over the standard SB and I suggest the SPDIF places
it above the Creative Audigy.

Visit www.avsforum.com for some great information on sound cards, you will
probably find information on the NF7-S sound also.

I have no problems with mine, sound quite rich and full.

Hope this helps,

Alan

Old October 1st 03, 12:13 PM
Simon Bussey

LOL in a 'few months' a faster Barton cpu will cost the same as that Barton
2500+ and there WILL be newer and better M/B's available... I suugest you
evaluate what's on the market when buy the system...
...also I've found 'inbuilt' sound and video to be very poor on
motherboards.. more than adequate if you just want 'a video' card or 'some
kind' of sound then its usually a cheap and easy wasy to get sound and
video.. I can't speak for this particular chip as i've not heard it.. but
other 5.1 onboard sound chips have been low quality.. these chips are
usually high on 'features' (to sell the board) like 5.1 and spdif out etc..
but low on quality.. despite what some people think all 5.1 sound cards
don't sound the same.. and a good soundcard (like an audigy or audigy2) will
always sound better even with an analogue out than a cheap card with digital
out.

Old October 1st 03, 01:02 PM
John Russell

"Simon Bussey" wrote in message
[...]

That was true with the usaual ac97 codec systems. The Nvidia APU is derived
from their work on the XBOX so are you suggesting the sound on the XBOX is
crap as well?

Old October 1st 03, 03:52 PM
Skid

"John Russell" wrote in message

"John_2001" wrote in message
[...]

Please note that he's asking about the Soundstorm in an Abit NF7, and not
the Realtek in an Abit IC7. And the board uses and Nvidia chipset, not VIA.
Totally different kettle of fish in both cases.

I'd pick the Soundstorm over an SB Live any day of the week.

Old October 1st 03, 04:51 PM
John Russell

. net...

"John_2001" wrote in message
[...]

You'll be pleased to know that the Nf-7s APU is a digital only device.
Anyone who uses analog out does so by using the DAC in the external ac97
chip.

And the board uses and Nvidia chipset, not VIA.

Creative are part of the great wintel consiporacy and seem to make little
effort to build their products with non intel boards in mind.

Old October 1st 03, 05:29 PM
dr_hardwrae

"John_2001" wrote in message
In few months I'll buy MB ABIT NF7-S with Sound SoundStorm 5.1 chipset,

and
Barton 2500+
Now I have P3, ASUS motherboard and Creative Labs Live 1024 sound card

with
3D Surround.
Is it SoundStorm chipset better than my old SB Creative Labs sound card?
Can I continue to use my old SB CL on my new motherboard?

tnx

I have the NF7-S and have had a SB live 5.1 card in it. I have made a
direct comparison and the on-board (analog) sound is better than the SB Live
5.1; I have removed the card and have been using the on-board sound since,
as it is far superior.

No, you can't use both the on-board sound and the sound card; it must be one
or the other.