ATEN CS-104 KVM switch need power cord

Old November 25th 18, 05:16 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
[email protected]

Default ATEN CS-104 KVM switch need power cord

I have an old ATEN CS-104 KVM switch that I want to try before I toss
it. But I need the power cord with its AC/DCconverter-I can't find
mine. Anyone know of where I might get/buy same? I don't see
anything on EBAY.

Just hopin'

Pete
Old November 25th 18, 06:00 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Paul[_28_]

wrote:
I have an old ATEN CS-104 KVM switch that I want to try before I toss
it. But I need the power cord with its AC/DCconverter-I can't find
mine. Anyone know of where I might get/buy same? I don't see
anything on EBAY.

Just hopin'

Pete

Power Consumption DC 9V 250mA (Max)

The housing of the unit, might have "DC" next to the
barrel. It could be center (+) like one of their other
products, but you'd have to check to be sure.

The next issue, is whether the input is regulated 9V or
unregulated 9V. It's cheaper to make regulated 9V, but
I have run into a case where a device actually used
unregulated, and using the regulated one didn't provide
enough oomph (that was my label printer, which was
relying on the overvoltage coming from an unregulated
adapter). There is no industry standard I've seen, for
marking a barrel input with that detail.

If you have a RadioShack nearby (not sure they still exist
as bricks and mortar), a device like this can provide
impulse buy satisfaction. This is a switchable adapter
which offers 9V output as one of the options. This model
used to come with a set of six Adaptaplugs, but they don't
bundle those any more. If you bring your "device" to the
store with you, they can use the wall display of 15 adaptaplugs
on a wall display, and test until they find the right dimensions
of plug. And since the product "gives you one free" adaptaplug,
your freebie can be the one intended for your KVM. You have to
plug in the adapter to the end of the cable, the right
way round, to end up with +9V on the center conductor.
The labeling on these substitute adapters leaves a lot
to be desired. I always double check mine with a multimeter,
before actually connecting it to a load.

https://www.radioshack.com/products/...wer-ac-adapter

The nature of this business is still "anti-consumer", but
at least you get some partial hint about requirements.
It would be scary if products had to be labeled
with "9V 0.25A regulated, center plus, barrel connector N",
as a means to preventing less electronics going into the
landfill. It's OK for the max current flow of the adapter
you select, to be rated at higher than 0.25A. The adapter
with the 2.5A rating would run your KVM just fine, and
have left over capacity that remains unused.

If you find the adapter listed on Ebay, then great. If not,
unless Aten runs their own "store" on the web, you'll be
doing some experiments to get it working, with no guarantee
of success. There's probably a polarity symbol on there, so
at least you won't apply reverse polarity and blow it up.
The details next to the barrel, are injection molded into
the plastic, and never use relief colors to make it easy
to read. In some cases, people don't even notice the label
is present until they use a strong light.

Paul
Old November 25th 18, 06:32 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
[email protected]

On Sun, 25 Nov 2018 12:00:30 -0500, Paul

I have an old ATEN CS-104 KVM switch that I want to try before I toss
it. But I need the power cord with its AC/DCconverter-I can't find
mine. Anyone know of where I might get/buy same? I don't see
anything on EBAY.

Just hopin'

Pete

Power Consumption DC 9V 250mA (Max)

The housing of the unit, might have "DC" next to the
barrel. It could be center (+) like one of their other
products, but you'd have to check to be sure.

I see DC 9v on the box connection with a center 'barrel'.

The next issue, is whether the input is regulated 9V or
unregulated 9V. It's cheaper to make regulated 9V, but
I have run into a case where a device actually used
unregulated, and using the regulated one didn't provide
enough oomph (that was my label printer, which was
relying on the overvoltage coming from an unregulated
adapter). There is no industry standard I've seen, for
marking a barrel input with that detail.

I don't see any other marking.

[...]

It is marked +
I did not see anything on Ebay - but I guess I cud have missed it.
The local Radio Shack closed a few years ago. I thought them to be
out of business.

Thanks Paul
Old November 25th 18, 07:01 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
[email protected]

[...]

I have looked at the adaptor on Ebay and WIKIP, and I don't see any
normal 2or3- prong connector to plug into a wall AC female.receptacle.
What am I missing?
Pete

Old November 25th 18, 07:54 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
VanguardLH[_2_]

Piper wrote:

Paul wrote:

Piper wrote:

I have an old ATEN CS-104 KVM switch that I want to try before I toss
it. But I need the power cord with its AC/DCconverter-I can't find
mine. Anyone know of where I might get/buy same? I don't see
anything on EBAY.

Power Consumption DC 9V 250mA (Max)

The housing of the unit, might have "DC" next to the barrel. It could
be center (+) like one of their other products, but you'd have to
check to be sure.

I see DC 9v on the box connection with a center 'barrel'.

Also confirmed by an online (webified) copy of the CS-104 manual at:

https://www.manualslib.com/manual/10...en-Cs-104.html
(page 3)

https://www.radioshack.com/products/...wer-ac-adapter

Expensive at $24.95; however, at least, it is above their $19 minimum
required to get free shipping.

Their pic does NOT show a female barrel connector on the end of that
power adapter's cord (to plug into the male jack in the KVM's case).
You MUST buy Radio Shack's Adaptaplug tips to convert the cord end to
the right size for the male (jack) on the KVM's case. Searching at
their site on "adaptaplug" (the product name they used) doesn't find any
there. I did a Google search and found this page:

https://www.radioshack.com/collections/adaptaplug-tips

Add another $2 to the Radio Shack solution. You can find 9V AC/DC
center-positive power adapters (with more than enough ampere output) for
a lot cheaper, like $5; however, you'll need one with the correct barrel
size (see wikipedia article below), and not just the outer diameter but
also the inner diameter. For example, you might need a 5.5mm coaxial DC
connector but the inside diameter (where the pin fits into) could be
2.1mm or 2.5mm. If the jack on the KVM is 2.1mm but you get a power
adapter with a 2.5mm center diameter then the connection will be loose
and you won't get a good connection.

It is marked +

The center connector should carry the voltage as a safety measure; else,
it would be far easier to short the outside barrel and cause damage.

The online manual doesn't specify the size of the barrel. There are
multiple diameters; see:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coaxia...ctor#Standards

You could measure the male jack on the KVM's case, or get an adapter to
see which fits. There are universal adapter kits; for example:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/8-in1-Set-P...-/382370611465

For that kit, you'd get an AC/DC power adapter that has a 5.5mm/2.1mm
female coaxial DC connector on its cord end and then use one of the
connector adapter if the male jack on the KVM case was a different size.

https://www.dhgate.com/product/new-2...410068512.html

That one is used with a 5.5mm/2.5mm coaxial DC connector, so when you
get the converter kit, you have to make sure the input side matches what
is on the end of the power adapter's cord.
Old November 25th 18, 09:48 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
[email protected]

On Sun, 25 Nov 2018 12:54:36 -0600, VanguardLH wrote:

Piper wrote:

Paul wrote:

Piper wrote:

I have an old ATEN CS-104 KVM switch that I want to try before I toss
it. But I need the power cord with its AC/DCconverter-I can't find
mine. Anyone know of where I might get/buy same? I don't see
anything on EBAY.

Power Consumption DC 9V 250mA (Max)

The housing of the unit, might have "DC" next to the barrel. It could
be center (+) like one of their other products, but you'd have to
check to be sure.

I see DC 9v on the box connection with a center 'barrel'.

Also confirmed by an online (webified) copy of the CS-104 manual at:

https://www.manualslib.com/manual/10...en-Cs-104.html
(page 3)

Thank U

https://www.radioshack.com/products/...wer-ac-adapter

Expensive at $24.95; however, at least, it is above their $19 minimum
required to get free shipping.

Their pic does NOT show a female barrel connector on the end of that
power adapter's cord (to plug into the male jack in the KVM's case).
You MUST buy Radio Shack's Adaptaplug tips to convert the cord end to
the right size for the male (jack) on the KVM's case. Searching at
their site on "adaptaplug" (the product name they used) doesn't find any
there. I did a Google search and found this page:

https://www.radioshack.com/collections/adaptaplug-tips

I had found that, but thought I wouldn't need one - cud see that none
shown matched the KVM jack. If I need one then I gotta find one. I
had thought the one that came with it would fit. It looked like it to
me. I just did not see any AC connector. In fact I still don't. Not
in RS Catalog #: 2731122

Add another $2 to the Radio Shack solution. You can find 9V AC/DC
center-positive power adapters (with more than enough ampere output) for
a lot cheaper, like $5; however, you'll need one with the correct barrel
size (see wikipedia article below), and not just the outer diameter but
also the inner diameter. For example, you might need a 5.5mm coaxial DC
connector but the inside diameter (where the pin fits into) could be
2.1mm or 2.5mm. If the jack on the KVM is 2.1mm but you get a power
adapter with a 2.5mm center diameter then the connection will be loose
and you won't get a good connection.

Sounds like getting the right tip will be a problem for this dummy.

It is marked +

The center connector should carry the voltage as a safety measure; else,
it would be far easier to short the outside barrel and cause damage.

Oh wow.

The online manual doesn't specify the size of the barrel. There are
multiple diameters; see:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coaxia...ctor#Standards

It's only $1.83.

You could measure the male jack on the KVM's case, or get an adapter to
see which fits. There are universal adapter kits; for example:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/8-in1-Set-P...-/382370611465

much more $$ but you get more. A safer buy.

For that kit, you'd get an AC/DC power adapter that has a 5.5mm/2.1mm
female coaxial DC connector on its cord end and then use one of the
connector adapter if the male jack on the KVM case was a different size.

https://www.dhgate.com/product/new-2...410068512.html

That one is used with a 5.5mm/2.5mm coaxial DC connector, so when you
get the converter kit, you have to make sure the input side matches what
is on the end of the power adapter's cord.

Makes sense if I gotta plug the tip to the Adaptaplug. Sounds like
the kit wud be the safe way to go.
Thanks for trying to help this dummy.
Pete
Old November 25th 18, 10:45 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
VanguardLH[_2_]

You could search eBay or Google Shopping for 2 of the power adapters,
both with 9V DC output and anything exceeding the KVM's 250 mA draw. If
the KVM's power jack is 5.5mm for barrel size, buy one power adapter
with the 5.5 mm outside diameter and 2.1 mm inside diameter, and another
with 5.5 mm outside and 2.5 mm inside. For $5 apiece, that's $10 and
one would have the right sized inside diameter for the pin in the male
jack in the KVM.

9V DC power adapter, 5.5mm outside, 2.1mm inside
eBay search: https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw...+power+adapter
Example: https://www.ebay.com/itm/9V-1A-DC-Ch...eada:rk:1:pf:0

9V DC power adapter, 5.5mm outside, 2.5mm inside
eBay search: https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw...+power+adapter
Example: https://www.ebay.com/itm/9V-1000mA-1...V 3:rk:3:pf:0

You probably already have something with the barrel plug that you could
test in the KVM's power jack. If you have anything with the coaxial
plug that fits into the KVM's power jack, that would tell you the
outside diameter for the plug. Then use the wikipedia article to tell
you what is the inside diameter(2) for that outside diameter of the
plug. You might find you have 5VDC power adapters you can test (but
unpowered) just to see which ones fit into the KVM's power jack. Once
you find one with a plug having the correct plug outer diameter (barrel)
and inner diameter (pin), you'll know what to look for in a 9V adapter.

I wouldn't bother with a power adapter that requires adapters at the end
of its cord to mate with the KVM's power jack: just another point where
an accidental disconnection could occur along with more connectors that
could have oxidation or debris on them. If all you know is the outer
diameter (barrel size), you could buy a 9V DC power adapter. If that
works, you're done. If the pin size (inside diameter) is too big or too
small, buy another 9V DC power adapter with the other pin size.

Extension for Dell power adapter DC Cord ( NOT the AC Cord....) James Dell Computers 7 September 26th 10 10:54 PM
kvm switch does not function (Aten cs1782) Massimo[_2_] General 3 December 5th 08 05:58 PM
Power cord [email protected] Homebuilt PC's 5 December 8th 07 09:12 AM
di-604 power cord donut Homebuilt PC's 0 September 26th 07 07:03 AM
Power Cord? Scott Gateway Computers 1 December 11th 03 09:40 PM