Help! DSL modem is dead

Old October 21st 07, 07:46 PM posted to comp.sys.mac.system,comp.sys.mac.comm,comp.hardware
J.J. O'Shea

Default Help! DSL modem is dead

On Sun, 21 Oct 2007 13:26:33 -0400, Newbie wrote
(in article ):

J.J. O'Shea wrote:

If I were you I'd get a router while I was at it, but that's me.

If I understand correctly, that would help only if we plan to connect
two or more computers to internet?

It also will NAT away your computer, so that annoying people have a problem
getting on your machine remotely.

Or is it necessary even if we might want to connect one computer
wirelessly one day?

Not necessary, but a good idea.

And if you're using wireless, do NOT use WEP.

Still, I do see that now is the time decide before buying a new modem.

When you say router, is that a separate item from modem or is that just
a more complex kind of modem?

Separate from the modem.

Sorry, not sure about such basics! Thanks for all help.

Old October 21st 07, 07:47 PM posted to comp.sys.mac.system,comp.sys.mac.comm,comp.hardware
J.J. O'Shea

On Sun, 21 Oct 2007 13:27:39 -0400, D. Kirkpatrick wrote
(in article ):

In article t.net,
J.J. O'Shea wrote:

Any DSL modem on the market should work just fine. If there's a CompUSA
near
you, it should have two or three to choose from. If I were you I'd get a
router while I was at it, but that's me.

I believe that chain went out of business.

Did in my region anyway.

They're very much alive around here. There are three stores within 30 miles
of me.

Old October 21st 07, 07:52 PM posted to comp.sys.mac.system,comp.sys.mac.comm,comp.hardware
J.J. O'Shea

On Sun, 21 Oct 2007 14:39:45 -0400, Mike Rosenberg wrote
(in article 1i6c8mv.10335jv19nmqjN%mikePOST@TOGROUPmacconsult .com):

D. Kirkpatrick wrote:

Any DSL modem on the market should work just fine. If there's a CompUSA
near you, it should have two or three to choose from. If I were you I'd
get a router while I was at it, but that's me.

I believe that chain went out of business.

They appear to have left some regions, but they're still in business. I
can't say I understand why anyone intentionally goes into one of their
stores, though.

Come on. It's not like they were shiver Circuit City /shiver.

Old October 21st 07, 08:06 PM posted to comp.sys.mac.system,comp.sys.mac.comm,comp.hardware
Mike Rosenberg

J.J. O'Shea wrote:

Come on. It's not like they were shiver Circuit City /shiver.

I don't know much about Circuit City, but my clients have told me enough
stories about their visits to CompUSA to make me conclude that:

1. Their employees don't know anything.
2. They're trained, when asked a question the can't answer, to make up a
response.

--
http://designsbymike.info/shop/mac.cgi Mac and geek T-shirts & gifts
http://designsbymike.info/shop/musings.cgi Muckraking T-shirts
Old October 21st 07, 08:27 PM posted to comp.sys.mac.system,comp.sys.mac.comm,comp.hardware
Bill Rider

D. Kirkpatrick wrote:
In article ,
Newbie wrote:

Forgive me if these are not the right groups but I am trying to squeeze
a post in somehow: my dsl modem is dead and I need a new one.

Problem is, without internet connection, I don't have any of my usual
tools of learning or shopping!

My modem was 5 yrs old, came with SBC dsl when I first signed up.
Question: Will they give me a new one or must I buy one myself?

If latter, what will be a good store to buy/order from, what is a best
value brand, and what price can I expect? (Basic ADSL for Mac; not
wireless.)

Thanks.

The question is whether the modem is actually "Dead". Unfortunately a
DSL line can fail or become less-capable of maintaining a connection
at the DSL speed and signal when a dial-up modem will still work.

If you are adept at testing all parameters and can deduce the DSL
modem is dead, then OK, but a series of tests with and without micro
filters in the line, disconnecting phone devices, checking at the NID
will be called for.

I think the first test is to disconnect the modem from the computer,
power off the modem, power it on, and see if it will sync in a minute or
two.

My Bellsouth installation software opened a page in Safari:
http://launchmodem/homeSumBS.htm

I bookmarked it. It will let me talk to my modem whether or not the
phone line is connected. I can have the modem do a self-test and get
statistics about my DSL connection, for example.
Old October 21st 07, 08:56 PM posted to comp.sys.mac.system,comp.sys.mac.comm,comp.hardware
J.J. O'Shea

On Sun, 21 Oct 2007 15:06:16 -0400, Mike Rosenberg wrote
(in article 1i6c9rt.ur5psg5a1h2uN%mikePOST@TOGROUPmacconsult. com):

J.J. O'Shea wrote:

Come on. It's not like they were shiver Circuit City /shiver.

I don't know much about Circuit City, but my clients have told me enough
stories about their visits to CompUSA to make me conclude that:

1. Their employees don't know anything.

True. (Mostly. There are one or two who know something.)

2. They're trained, when asked a question the can't answer, to make up a
response.

Also true. (Again, mostly.)

So don't ask 'em anything. The main advantage CompUSA has is that it has a
_lot_ of stuff all in one place. I go there to have a look at stuff before
buying, and to check pricing. If the prices there are better than prices +
shipping from some website, I buy there. (And, also, for certain items, such
as large printers, it's nice to have somewhere to return it to that doesn't
involve boxing it up and paying FedEx.) But I don't ask questions.

Circuit City, now, that place is actively _dangerous_.

Old October 21st 07, 09:09 PM posted to comp.sys.mac.system,comp.sys.mac.comm,comp.hardware
Mike Rosenberg

J.J. O'Shea wrote:

I don't know much about Circuit City, but my clients have told me enough
stories about their visits to CompUSA to make me conclude that:

1. Their employees don't know anything.

True. (Mostly. There are one or two who know something.)

The CompUSA a couple of miles from here has one Apple employee, working
in the Apple section there. _He_ is quite knowledgeable, but since he
doesn't work for CompUSA I'm not counting him. The actual employees
don't like him much.

2. They're trained, when asked a question the can't answer, to make up a
response.

Also true. (Again, mostly.)

So don't ask 'em anything.

That's the problem. *I* don't have any reason to ask them anything, but
the unsuspecting public doesn't know not to. The people going there for
Mac-related stuff who aren't lucky enough to go during the one Apple
employee's 40 hours a week are at their mercy.

The main advantage CompUSA has is that it has a
_lot_ of stuff all in one place. I go there to have a look at stuff before
buying, and to check pricing. If the prices there are better than prices +
shipping from some website, I buy there. (And, also, for certain items,
such as large printers, it's nice to have somewhere to return it to that
doesn't involve boxing it up and paying FedEx.) But I don't ask questions.

I'm not sure I've ever seen anything at CompUSA that I can't get for a
better price at Office Depot or Staples locally, and definitely online
somewhere, and the office stores are much better about returns.

Old October 21st 07, 09:14 PM posted to comp.sys.mac.system,comp.sys.mac.comm,comp.hardware
Newbie

Mike Rosenberg wrote:

Seriously? They don't let you talk to someone on the weekend?

LOL you can certainly *talk* to somebody in some remote place
somewhere, but are told to call back during business hours for this
kind of issue.
Old October 21st 07, 09:23 PM posted to comp.sys.mac.system,comp.sys.mac.comm,comp.hardware
Newbie

If you are adept at testing all parameters...

I think the first test is to disconnect the modem from the computer,
power off the modem, power it on, and see if it will sync in a minute or
two.

I am not adept at all but during the last few weeks, as my connection
was getting weaker and weaker, I learned all these steps. For a while
it did work. But now nothing works: rebooting the modem, disconnecting
and reconnecting, rebooting the computer, some combination of these.
Only lights go on and off forever.

The diagnosis that modem is dead was by AT's tech, although they never
came here.

Dial up does work, thank God I have an older computer so it does have
an internal dialup modem. That's what I am using right now but this is
extremely unpopular with family as it ties up the phone, one reason why
got the dsl in the first place.
Old October 21st 07, 09:23 PM posted to comp.sys.mac.system,comp.sys.mac.comm,comp.hardware
Mike Rosenberg

Newbie wrote:

Seriously? They don't let you talk to someone on the weekend?

LOL you can certainly *talk* to somebody in some remote place
somewhere, but are told to call back during business hours for this
kind of issue.

In contrast, with Bellsouth one can handle this over the weekend.