OC on Asus P4P 800

Old February 27th 04, 05:58 PM
redrider

Default OC on Asus P4P 800

I posted a message before, and had good response, thanks, just need a
clarification on CPU speeds and memory ratios.

My 2.8 is running at 3.09 and ram, which is DDR 433 Kingston runs at 400.

How can I get more speed out of the ram?
Voltage?

Faster CPU, say a 3.2?

Thanks

Old February 28th 04, 01:01 AM
ElJerid

"redrider" wrote in message
ble.rogers.com...
I posted a message before, and had good response, thanks, just need a
clarification on CPU speeds and memory ratios.

My 2.8 is running at 3.09 and ram, which is DDR 433 Kingston runs at 400.

How can I get more speed out of the ram?
Voltage?

Faster CPU, say a 3.2?

A faster cpu has no influence on the RAM speed.
From what you're saying, the fsb is overclocked from 200 MHz to 220 MHz. In
that case, if you have DDR433 (PC3500) at 1:1, it should run at 440 MHz
which is above specs. If your DDR is at 5:4, it should run at 352 MHz, but
you say it runs at 400 MHz! 400 MHz is the speed of your DDR running at 1:1
without overclocking the fsb.
So I believe there is something wrong in your data. Does your memory RUN at
400 MHz, or is it SET at 400 MHz (which is then 1:1)???
Where did you find this 400 MHz value?
The theoretical max fsb speed you could achieve with your DDR433 at 1:1 is
216 MHZ. Then you cpu should run at 3.02 GHz (but with Kingston, those
values will probably be higher). If you set your DDR at 5:4, the fsb speed
could go up to 270 MHz (as far as memory is concerned), but your cpu and
motherboard will certainly not be able to run or boot at that speed (3.78
GHz for the cpu!).

Old February 28th 04, 11:23 AM
redrider

You are correct in that ElJerid, it is set to run at 400, and when it boots
the system sees it a dual channel 400mhz, it is not set to auto, the bios
allows settings of auto, 400, 320 and 266, the timings issue, I am not too
familiar with, although I have seen the seetings listed in the bios.

With the CPU at 3.09, the system runs stable with DDR at 400 as set in the
bios, and fsb is set to 220 (I believe)

Setting the DDR to 5:4 as you have suugested is done in the bios and the
manual settings for ram timings?

Thanks
"ElJerid" wrote in message
news

"redrider" wrote in message
ble.rogers.com...
I posted a message before, and had good response, thanks, just need a
clarification on CPU speeds and memory ratios.

My 2.8 is running at 3.09 and ram, which is DDR 433 Kingston runs at

400.

How can I get more speed out of the ram?
Voltage?

Faster CPU, say a 3.2?

A faster cpu has no influence on the RAM speed.
From what you're saying, the fsb is overclocked from 200 MHz to 220 MHz.

In

Old February 28th 04, 11:33 AM
wasdiscovered

"redrider" wrote in message
ble.rogers.com...
I posted a message before, and had good response, thanks, just need a
clarification on CPU speeds and memory ratios.

My 2.8 is running at 3.09 and ram, which is DDR 433 Kingston runs at 400.

How can I get more speed out of the ram?
Voltage?

Faster CPU, say a 3.2?

Thanks

I assume that by saying your memory is running at 400 you mean that you're
running a divider of 1:1.
I also assume that your agp/pci is locked.

I'm not familiar with your board but I would suggest that you also lock
your memory divider and memory timings to specific values.
If your memory divider is set to auto your board might switch to a 4:5
divider when you get around 215 to 220.
It might also change the memory timings or maybe not.
This can cause a no boot situation even though your memory is capable of
running at 4:5.
It's a particular problem with some fast memory.

As far as your chip is concerned forget about the 3.2.
A 2.8C (M0) with the proper memory voltage and cooling can do over 4 gigs.
Even on a half decent set up you should do quite well with any 2.8C.
3.09 is about what I get from my 2.4B rig.

With the limited info you've given I'd suggest you run a 4:5 memory divider.
You will probably get better benches, better performance and better memory
bandwidth with your best 4:5 as opposed to your best 1:1. Of course I'd
also suggest pushing it at 1:1 just to make sure. Also don't tighten your
timings until you've determined your max stable over clock.

At a certain point you will need to up the juice to the chip. You then need
to check your system temps under full load. Idle temps should never be used.
Check the idle temp but never use it to determine your next adjustment. As
far as memory voltage goes some people like to start upping it before they
need to. Actually with some memory over volting it not only gives little
benefit but may actually limit your over clock. It depends on the memory.
On
the other hand some people run there memory under volted because they fail
to check what the memory manufacturers recommended voltage is. Fast memory
often needs more voltage then a boards stock setting gives.

Some times a single setting in bios can trip you up. As a general rule if
you know what a particular setting does and what it should be set to then
never leave it set to auto thinking the board will choose the best setting
for your particular setup. It usually does but not always. If you don't know
what it does then leave it on auto for the time being. You can try to find
out what it does using a search engine or ask the board maker. Don't be
surprised if a google search doesn't turn up much or if the board maker
isn't quite sure about some of the settings either. At a high end over clock
tweaking the unknown settings ( I call this crash and burn) in fact playing
with all but a few taboo settings is a definite option. Reading up in board
specific groups is always helpfull.

Check your power supply voltages and look for fluctuations and dips. Power
is as important as cooling. Actually it is the other side of cooling. For
every little bit that your system temp increases a bit more strain is put on
your power supply.

Check the homepage of both your memory and board maker to see if they
consider there product to be compatible with the other. Fast quality memory
and a fast quality board should make for a nice system but this is not
always the case.

You might consider Updating your system drivers along with your bios.
On the other hand this could actually cause problems if they are not
properly
tested before release. Actually with some the release is the bigger part of
testing.

If your rig is set up with multiple drives and other bells and whistles
disconnect them for now. Only run what you need to run and nothing else.
That does not mean you cannot or should not have the bells and whistles.
After you push your rig to its furthest limits test for 100% stability. 100%
stability will be below your rigs furthest limits. A this point consider
bringing it down a notch or two more. Now add the bells and whistles and
again check for 100% stability.

If you can't get your rig to smoke post back with complete system specs.
I'm not saying that with more info I could be of more help to you.
I don't know. Actually I don't know as much as some of the people in here.
I've been over clocking for about a year and lurking in various groups for a
good part of that time. What I do know is that the better the picture people
have of your setup the easier it will be for some one to perhaps point out
some small over looked factor which creates what seems to be your wall.

As for my wall I can't get this 2.8C to run at 4.0 gigs with a 1:1
memory divider.My rig is 31 inches high 22 inches deep and 20 inches wide.
I'm not sure exactly how much it weighs but I would estimate that it's maybe
between a hundred and a hudred and fifty pounds.

Of course these would not normaly be the type of specs I would post in order
to get advice on how to over come an obstacle. Actually I already know what
the obstacle is. My pc4000 will not run higher than 544mhz which is a good
bit past what its actual rated speed is. To get to 4.0 I need 580mhz. I'd
get pc4400 (which I believe is the fastest at the moment) if I knew it
would run at 580mhz. That would be 30mhz over spec.On the one hand I figure
it would do it but on the other hand I'm not going to get it with out
knowing for sure.Who knows maybe they will put out something that's specked
to 580mhz. I'll be waiting.

see ya

Old February 29th 04, 01:44 AM
redrider

Well I do not understand this divider stuff I quess, anyone got a site that
explains it better so that i understand it?

"wasdiscovered" wrote in message

ble.rogers.com...

Old February 29th 04, 10:30 AM
ElJerid

"redrider" wrote in message
ble.rogers.com...
You are correct in that ElJerid, it is set to run at 400, and when it

boots
the system sees it a dual channel 400mhz, it is not set to auto, the bios
allows settings of auto, 400, 320 and 266, the timings issue, I am not too
familiar with, although I have seen the seetings listed in the bios.

With the CPU at 3.09, the system runs stable with DDR at 400 as set in the
bios, and fsb is set to 220 (I believe)

Setting the DDR to 5:4 as you have suugested is done in the bios and the
manual settings for ram timings?

Thanks

Setting DDR to 5:4 is the same as setting the DDR to 320 MHz. Settin to 1:1
is the same as 400 MHz.
Timings for DDR PC3500 and higher are best in "manual" at 3-4-4-8 (although
for Corsair), whatever the other settings.

Old March 2nd 04, 04:19 PM
SpongeBob

"redrider" wrote in message
. rogers.com...
Well I do not understand this divider stuff I quess, anyone got a site

that
explains it better so that i understand it?

"wasdiscovered" wrote in message

"redrider" wrote in message
ble.rogers.com...
[...]

This might help......

FSB Frequency
DDR266 (FSB:MEM=3:2)
DDR333 (FSB:MEM=5:4)
DDR400 (FSB:MEM=1:1)
Memory Name

200 MHz
133 MHz (DDR266)
160 MHz (DDR320)
200 MHz (DDR400)
PC3200

210 MHz
140 MHz (DDR280)
168 MHz (DDR336)
210 MHz (DDR420)

217 MHz
145 MHz (DDR 290)
173 MHz (DDR 346)
217 MHz (DDR434)
PC3500

220 MHz
147 MHz (DDR293)
176 MHz (DDR352)
220 MHz (DDR440)

230 MHz
153 MHz (DDR306)
184 MHz (DDR368)
230 MHz (DDR460)

233 MHz
155 MHz (DDR310)
186 MHz (DDR373)
233 MHz (DDR466)
PC3700

240 MHz
160 MHz (DDR320)
192 MHz (DDR384)
240 MHz (DDR480)

250 MHz
167 MHz (DDR333)
200 MHz (DDR400)
250 MHz (DDR500)
PC4000

260 MHz
173 MHz (DDR346)
208 MHz (DDR416)
260 MHz (DDR520)

267 MHz
178 MHz (DDR356)
213 MHz (DDR426)
267 MHz (DDR533)
PC4200

270 MHz
180 MHz (DDR360)
216 MHz (DDR432)
270 MHz (DDR540)

275 MHz
183 MHz (DDR367)
220 MHz (DDR440)
275 MHz (DDR550)
PC4400

280 MHz
187 MHz (DDR373)
224 MHz (DDR448)
280 MHz (DDR560)

290 MHz
193 MHz (DDR386)
232 MHz (DDR464)
290 MHz (DDR580)

300 MHz
200 MHz (DDR400)
240 MHz (DDR480)
300 MHz (DDR600)
PC5000

Old March 2nd 04, 04:25 PM
SpongeBob

"SpongeBob" wrote in message
"redrider" wrote in message
. rogers.com...
Well I do not understand this divider stuff I quess, anyone got a site

that
explains it better so that i understand it?

"wasdiscovered" wrote in message

"redrider" wrote in message
ble.rogers.com...
[...]

Sorry didn't post as expected ...

1st line is FSB
2nd line=Actual memory speed at 3:2
3rd line=Actual memory speed at 5:4
4th line=Actual memory speed at 1:1

Old March 11th 04, 09:02 AM
redrider

Thanks to all who replied

"SpongeBob" wrote in message

"SpongeBob" wrote in message
> [...]
"redrider" wrote in message
. rogers.com...
Well I do not understand this divider stuff I quess, anyone got a site

that
explains it better so that i understand it?

"wasdiscovered" wrote in message

ble.rogers.com...