home built PCs vs. factory PCs

Old November 23rd 04, 06:49 AM
WebbFeet

I believe he is referring to MotherBoard Monitor version 5.0, which is a
software program - it has more bells and whistles than SpeedFan, but both
can give details about cpu temperatures, fan speeds, etc.

"w_tom" wrote in message
Motherboard monitor could be another parameter different
between brand name and clone versions. Clone boards often use
components of crude (less expensive accuracy which is why
motherboard monitor is not sufficient measure computer DC
voltages. A motherboard monitor first must be calibrated with
a 3.5 digit multimeter before setting alarm thresholds.

Same board for a brand name company may demand components of
better tolerance so that motherboard monitor is sufficiently
accurate. Of course we don't know, do we. Clone version
does not provide a long list of numerical specs on each
motherboard function - including motherboard monitor. Clone
boards are not being sold, typically, to people who even know
how electricity works. Better to not provide any facts. The
brand name computer engineer would never stand for that
nonsense. A specification for that motherboard would be
pages.

Again, we can only speculate on the differences because, for
example, clone motherboards don't even provide sufficient
information. They are selling to people who don't even demand
basic numerical facts. We do know that motherboard monitors
are notorious for poor tolerances; require calibration with
the 3.5 digit meter. That could be another difference between
a brand name version verses a clone version.

HH wrote:
Re Asus boards in Presarios, the BIOS, although less feature rich than a

non
OEM version still offers more setup options than earlier Presarios, Plus

it
offers hardware monitoring capability, at least on my last 2 Presarios.

On
the SR1000Z the generic Asus PC Probe software works beautifully,

reporting
voltages, fan speeds and CPU and case temps. Strangely enough PC probe

did
not function on the S5200CL but Motherboard Monitor 5 did and even had

selection for the Asus A7N8X-LA motherboard that Presario used.
HH