need help, desperately, for ignorant pc guy

Old September 9th 04, 08:05 AM
dave4hirenow3000

Default need help, desperately, for ignorant pc guy

Thanks alot for the responses, but I relayed the wrong problem..so I'm
starting a new thread..First off, the pc I am trying to fix, I formatted
the hard drive, not knowing that I wouldn't be able to access the bios
afterwards....now, I want to reinstall Windows 2000, but I'm having a
problem, nothing will work when i try to install, and I cant access the
bios, so I need to make a disk with a softpaq(I think)but the only ID I
have for the sick machine is deskpro 2000 and I know that is 166
mhz...Evidently, I need to obtain a softpaq, which requires me to know
certain information that I should have gotten from the pc before I
formatted the HD....I'm under the impression that I need this softpaq to
fix the bios, or reinstall it...I think it was on the HD...(does this
thing have a cmos?) I'm really confused here...never run into this
problem, and like I said I'm doing this to help someone who cant afford
the local repair shop...Second, the softpaq that i need must be DL'd onto
floppy from my computer, which is NTFS...the sick machine is FAT....will
the info on the floppy(softpaq), which will probably require me to make a
boot disk for the sick machine be compatible with the sick machine FAT if
the disk is created on an NTFS? If not, I will have to use an old pc at a
friends house, but that is 35 miles from my home..I've tried that when I
thought I had the right "softpaq"(if thats what I need), and I dont know
which of the 15-20 some odd softpaqs available at the site I was at is the
right one...if anyone can tell me the right one, or what other information
i can get from the inside of this thing, and where it is to narrow my
search, I would appreciate it very very much...no matter what kind of disk
i make to boot this thing i keep getting the infamous "non system disk
error, replace the disk and press any freakin key dude".God bless you guys
for trying...sorry to give you the wrong idea to start....dave

Old September 10th 04, 07:39 AM
Quaoar

dave4hirenow3000 wrote:
[...]

Floppies are formatted Fat16 by default. When formatting, create a
system disk (an option on the format dialog) which is bootable, then
copy the file onto it. Do not Fast Format, but do a full format. To
save yourself some frustration, use new floppies. Look at the serial
number tag on the computer. It should have the model ID also, I
believe. The serial number can be used to ID the machine from HP
support, maybe, possibly, if you can get their attention.

http://h18007.www1.hp.com/support/fi...load/1053.html
This is a start on the ROMPaq for the Deskpro 2000 166Mhz. This says it
updates the system ROM for NT4- nothing about a HD BIOS sector. The
instructions say F10 Setup, which might be F10 at boot to enter BIOS
setup. The entire Deskpro 2000 166 support information is at
http://search.hp.com/query.html?qt=d...+English&st=61

or http://tinyurl.com/4xax6

Have you tried to boot with an Win2K install CD? Simply formatting the
HD should not have prevented you from installing from CD, unless you
need to set the boot order for the CD from F10 at the power-on self
test.

Old September 10th 04, 11:59 AM
Steve

On Thu, 09 Sep 2004 03:05:29 -0400, in alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq
"dave4hirenow3000" brain farted
Thanks alot for the responses, but I relayed the wrong problem..so I'm
starting a new thread..First off, the pc I am trying to fix, I formatted

snip - no. huge chop!)

error, replace the disk and press any freakin key dude".God bless you guys
for trying...sorry to give you the wrong idea to start....dave

God that was hard to read.

ftp://ftp.compaq.com/pub/softpaq/sp4501-5000/SP4711.exe

This is for Deskpro 2000 - 5100,5120,5133,5166,5200,6180,6200

Yours is probably a 5166.

Creates two diskettes:
1. Computer Setup/V Version 1.23 Rev. A.
2. Personal Computer Diagnostics Version 10.19 Rev. C.

Since you have just formatted this box,
**Remove any existing partitions from the disk**

Boot from 1.
This will rebuild the F10 diagnostic partition.

Not sure if a 5166 can boot from CD, if not:

Rebuild DOS (you do have the DOS for this box..?)
to the point where you can use the CD, i.e
MSCDEX.EXE in autoexec.bat
CDROMDRV.SYS in config.sys

You should then be able to use the Win2k CD

--
SSS,
Steve / Strathclyde / Scotland.
Old September 13th 04, 07:14 PM
dave4hirenow3000

i cant set the boot order from bios, thats the first thing i tried when the
win2k wouldnt install from the cdrom.....i cant access the bios with f10
or any other button....its like it doesnt exist, which i feel may be the
problem since i overwrote the entire hd with zeros using the dataeraser
program from SystemSuite...am i ignorant here or what? i am going to try
the other links that you included and see what i can come up with...check
back for my response please. Thx

Old September 13th 04, 07:26 PM
dave4hirenow3000

Steve, youre funny as hell...but youre right about the brain fart...didnt
say i was a scientist, in fact admitted to ignorance,nevertheless my
friend, thanks for taking it easy on me...i will use the information youve
provided and respond on this forum, needing several days to do so....but
please check back for response..Thx very much.

Old September 14th 04, 12:37 AM
dave4hirenow3000

ok steve, you are the shizziggity.....the link you gave me for the softpaq
worked and i now have a pulse on this machine(deskpro 2000 166 mhz), a new
diag partition, and a place to start....however:

"Rebuild DOS (you do have the DOS for this box..?)
to the point where you can use the CD, i.e
MSCDEX.EXE in autoexec.bat
CDROMDRV.SYS in config.sys"

I have no clue how to rebuild dos without the floppy dos disk....I do not
"have the dos for this box", and am hoping that doesnt mean i cant put dos
back on here....does the dos have to be specific to this machine? Ok
Steve, you are the high wizard, help me out here. Where can I get the
information i need or the dos DL i need to enable an installation of
Win2k...I havent messed with autoexec.bat nor config.sys since 1992...so
hook me up with a link...Thx in advance oh great one.
BTW, the softpaq you gave me was the 10th one i had tried including the
ones from HP site, and several from other responses on other boards. That
was the only one that worked. Thank you so much.

Old September 14th 04, 01:34 AM
Ben Myers

Go to www.bootdisk.com and download the program which creates a Windows 98SE
boot disk. Create the boot disk, run it, create a (preferably FAT32) partition
with FDISK, reboot, format the partition and that's that. The boot disk can
also be used to load the Windows 98SE setup program from the CD... Ben Myers

Old September 14th 04, 02:16 AM
Steve

On Mon, 13 Sep 2004 19:37:51 -0400, in alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq
"dave4hirenow3000" wrote:

[...]

http://www.bootdisk.com/bootdisk.htm

Is your next step.

Old September 15th 04, 01:26 AM
dave4hirenow3000

assuming usually makes me out as even dumber...unfortunately in this
situation, steve, and ben also, for that matter, you guys have chosen to
test my jedi initiative. Ben, Im trying to install Win2k Pro on a machine
that had 95 before i formatted the HD..Not sure if 98SE would be the
optimal choice here for the boot disk...nevertheless, I will try it, but
first im going to try the win2k setup disks....think they will work? im
not sure, but steve, you are holding out on me sir, or maybe your fingers
were tired, or maybe you delight in my misery...lol..
There are so many choices on the bootdisk.com site, but i already made the
dos 6.2 boot and used that....what in the world.
Then I made the Win2k bootdisk, and I was informed that i need the
ntoskernel to continue.
Evidently, I am dumber than i thought, or just spoiled from windows
easiness.....no finesse here fellas.
Is this a bit easier to read? Maybe I should have chosen comp science
rather than law school....although I am good enough on my end...lol.
Thx guys...be back later