Advice before installing Windows XP SP2

Old September 1st 04, 08:12 AM
Gojira

I've never had any problems with the driver updates,but the size of
SP2(over 70 mbs)made me leery,it's obviously a major change.I started
looking for info on it before trying it out,and found the various Microsoft
newsgroups absolutely swamped with hundreds of complaints about the damage
this update has caused to systems.I think MS rushed this service pack out
without proper testing because of problems with security in XP,and it's full
of bugs.It's more a beta version than a finished product,and XP users are
being used as test subjects.Considering the miminal benefits it offers,this
update isn't worth the risk.

"HH" wrote in message
I allowed Windows Update to install updated audio drivers on my Presario
S5200CL and the audio started breaking up. Rolling back to the Compaq
supplied Realtek drivers put it right again.
HH

"Quaoar" wrote in message

"Euclid" wrote in message
ink.net...
Always decline any driver updates offered by Windows Update. Check
with Compaq support if you see a driver update. There are far too
many problems reported with these WU drivers. Some are applicable as
advertised, many are not. Those who do use the WU drivers often
report significant problems.

I've heard this same advice from other respected experts, however...
I've installed all of the WU driver updates offered for my Compaq
Presario S4020WM since I bought it a year ago at Walmart. No problems
so far. It's a really convenient method, and personally I tend to
trust Microsoft more than Compaq/HP in such regards.

Microsoft only offers selected driver updates, presumably only those
that interact with their Windows op system and office products. Most
driver updates have to be obtained elsewhere such as at the Compaq/HP
website or manufacturers websites, and that requires research as well
as technical judgements. A lot of people don't have the time nor
ability to keep updated, so the WU method is easiest.
-E

You have been extremely lucky using WU for drivers. The microsoft
support NGs are replete with failed driver updates, many requiring an OS
repair/reinstall to correct. Microsoft does not warrant any driver
update; they supply the function as a convenience to vendors. Microsoft
does not develop the drivers they supply on WU (unless it is a Microsoft
product); the applicability is determined by the developer who might not
have taken any HPAQ proprietary requirements into consideration. HPAQ
is notorious for making OEM mods to their computers which can make the
vendor's driver fail the OS or the device. Get to know the support site
for your computer and check it regularly. Even the Microsoft MVP's
recommend against using WU for driver updates.

Old September 1st 04, 10:11 AM
Tom Scales

I don't agree. The security updates alone are worth the upgrade. There are
literally millions of people that have upgraded without problems.

Tom

Old September 1st 04, 03:54 PM
Euclid

I tried SP2 and agree with Gojira. I uninstalled it, and count myself lucky
to have survived the experience. I came darned close to having to reinstall
my op system. It killed my autologon, and I was locked out of windows for
awhile. It wouldn't let me logon! I had to find a trick to bypass their
usual logon crappola at startup, or I would have had a dead box. It also
didn't work correctly with my local home page, a simple little all-text html
file, no graphics. That had something to do with their new "lockdown" in the
local zone, .aspx pages, and their .NET stuff, which didn't work right, or
caused the IE browser to malfunction until it was reset (close/reopen). So
I'm convinced that SP2 is really a beta, and I doubt that it will deter the
hackers and virus writers for very long anyway. Maybe they can put all those
new "security" features into their next op system (Longhorn?), but XP is
already too old and deeply ingrained into the way the world functions.
-E

Old September 1st 04, 05:06 PM
Tom Scales

I'm never going to need one of those new fangled au-to-mo-biles. My horse
will get me there more reliably.

And I don't lock my front door. My neighborhood in South Central LA is safe.
No one would want to break in and steal anything.

To each his own. I've upgraded many, many machines -- all flawlessly.

Tom
.net...

Old September 1st 04, 06:07 PM
Irene

But if he happens to be one of the unfortunates that has severe problems,
will you fix his computer for him?

I have never yet seen an upgrade from MS that being cautious caused major
problems.

My philosophy to let guys like you, that need the latest and greatest, take
the risk.

Old September 2nd 04, 01:51 AM
Ken Wampach

"Euclid" wrote in message
.net...
I tried SP2 and agree with Gojira. I uninstalled it, and count

myself lucky
to have survived the experience. I came darned close to having

to reinstall
my op system. It killed my autologon, and I was locked out of

windows for
awhile. It wouldn't let me logon! I had to find a trick to

bypass their
usual logon crappola at startup, or I would have had a dead

box.
Euclid,
Would you mind explaining what you call autologon. When my
machine
boots, it goes to the user selection page. I have never set any
passwords, so
I just click on my user name.
Do you think I am using what you call autologon?
What trick did you have to do to get around the problem?
I presume that this information could be helpful, to anyone who
tries SP2
and runs in to a similar problem.
--
Ken Wampach - FirstNameLastNameATyahooDOTcom

Old September 2nd 04, 02:35 AM
Euclid

"Autologon" means that when I restart my computer, it goes directly to the
desktop. I don't have to logon. I don't have any usernames or passwords. If
I do, I'm unaware of it. So if you are getting a user selection page when
you reboot, that's not "autologon" as I know it.

As for how I got back into windows after installing SP2... When I rebooted
there was a box asking me to enter a password for Administrator. I have no
usernames nor passwords, and so nothing worked. Eventually I got lucky... I
deleted "Administrator" and typed in "owner", and then it went to my
desktop. I had seen the "owner" name occasionally, but have no idea what it
means - and I don't want to know! All that matters is that I got rid of the
logon nonsense.
-E

"Ken Wampach" wrote in message

.net...

Old September 3rd 04, 01:51 AM
Euclid

The word on another NG says that it was .NET 1.1 which screwed up my
autologon, not SP2. I installed both at about the same time, SP2 first. If
memory serves, the autologon problem probably did indeed happen only after
installing .NET 1.1. I've never had .NET on this machine, except briefly
right after installing the Compaq OEM Windows XP Home op system, then .NET
got uninstalled - a year ago. So perhaps SP2 wasn't as bad as I thought,
although there were problems related to the InfoBar/.aspx/.NET/local zone
lockdown and my local home page.
-E

"Euclid" wrote in message
k.net...
[...]

.net...

Old September 3rd 04, 02:16 PM
Kevin Childers

"Euclid" wrote in message
ink.net...
The word on another NG says that it was .NET 1.1 which screwed up my
autologon, not SP2. I installed both at about the same time, SP2 first. If
memory serves, the autologon problem probably did indeed happen only after
installing .NET 1.1. I've never had .NET on this machine, except briefly
right after installing the Compaq OEM Windows XP Home op system, then .NET
got uninstalled - a year ago. So perhaps SP2 wasn't as bad as I thought,
although there were problems related to the InfoBar/.aspx/.NET/local zone
lockdown and my local home page.
-E

"Euclid" wrote in message
k.net...
[...]

"Euclid" wrote in message
.net...
[...]

The latest M$ press release is claiming that at least some of the SP2
problems are caused by spyware (See CNN story:
http://cnn.aimtoday.cnn.com/news/sto...48.htm&sc=1333)
Makes some sense, but then what took them so long to realize this? With all
of their hype about testing ensuring that they had all of the bugs out one
would think they would have thought of this early on.

KC