Compaq Presario 5WV294 Recovery Problem

Old August 7th 04, 05:15 PM
Robert W. Rafferty

Default Compaq Presario 5WV294 Recovery Problem

My wifes computer was having a problem in that it would go to the sign on
(XP Professional), and then reboot after you sign on. I took the 40Gig
Drive and put it in slot 2, and bought a new 80Gig Seagate Drive and put it
in slot 1. I then used the 3 disk CD recovery set and loaded it on the new
drive (or so I thought). The computer works fine down, but I noticed that
all my information is gone off the slot 2 drive (original drive) . I
originally had planned to move her files over to the new drive and also her
address book, and email and use the old drive for storage. Does the
recovery disk format the second drive also? If not, what do I need to do
to see this data now?

Old December 27th 06, 12:13 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq
- Bobb -

I know this thread is 2 years old , BUT I was just asked by a friend to
help her with her PC.
This is the model number on the big sticker on the side ( that they
never removed ??) and the 40gb drive was formatted ( I don't know the
details but only a blank C partition now).

She said that it had Win2000 shipped with it and of course, she has only
the quickrestore CD - and since no D partition to data to recover , it's
a boat anchor. It's a 1ghz AMd athlon with 128 mb of mem and she'd be
better off to spend $250 for a new one but they don't have the money
and it would cost $100 to even put an OS on it. I told her I'd try to
help her out but no promises. So ... any dealers (we're near Boston) out
there that have old restore CD's for these ?? Any online pointers ?

I checked Ebay, Compaq website, google etc and looking for pointers on
where she might find CDs for this thing ? for cheap money

Worst case, does someone know ... does it HAVE to be a AMD restore set ?
If so , how would I know by looking at the CD's since I can't find a
part number for them online ? What I'm getting at - if I find someone
tossing an old Intel based presario - that had recovery CD's - would
those CD's work ?

Thanks,
Bobb

Old December 27th 06, 01:30 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq
Ben Myers

More importantly, is there a Microsoft Certificate of Authentication (COA, aka
Product Code) sticker on the case somewhere? If so, for which version of
Windows? The answers to those questions tell you which version of Windows can
be LEGALLY installed, never mind what the person said when he sold the computer
to your friend.

If you have a Windows install CD matching the operating system for which there
is a COA, you are more than halfway there. The rest can be accomplished
without a restore CD, by downloading the required drivers from the internet and
burning them onto a CD on another computer. The drivers are either on the
Compaq/HP web site, or on the various websites of the manufacturers of the
chipsets used in the computer.

Compaq usually structured its restore CDs for a limited number of very similar
models. I doubt that an Intel restore CD would work, but there is not a lot to
lose from trying it, except your own potentially wasted time, of course.

.... Ben Myers

Old December 27th 06, 02:11 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq
- Bobb -

"Ben Myers" wrote in message
More importantly, is there a Microsoft Certificate of Authentication
(COA, aka
Product Code) sticker on the case somewhere? If so, for which
version of
Windows? The answers to those questions tell you which version of
Windows can
be LEGALLY installed, never mind what the person said when he sold the
computer
to your friend.

She bought it new and after x years ( due to the kids etc??) now the HDD
was wiped. I did check the drive and it's the right p/n for the pc ( I
checked in case someone swapped hers - I was hoping maybe the original
was in the Pc but not hooked up - nope only one hdd in there)

If you have a Windows install CD matching the operating system for
which there
is a COA, you are more than halfway there. The rest can be
accomplished
without a restore CD, by downloading the required drivers from the
internet and
burning them onto a CD on another computer. The drivers are either on
the
Compaq/HP web site, or on the various websites of the manufacturers of
the
chipsets used in the computer.

I checked under the recovery CD holder/flap in front and found the COA
and Key - it was sold with ME. I believe ME was only shipped as upgrade
or with new pc's right ?- not a store-bought standalone product ? So I'm
not gonna find an install Cd for that . The support webpage lists
98/me/2000/xp drivers for that system.

Compaq usually structured its restore CDs for a limited number of very
similar
models. I doubt that an Intel restore CD would work, but there is
not a lot to
lose from trying it, except your own potentially wasted time, of
course.

... Ben Myers

I tend to agree - would be nice with restoreCD - too much hassle
otherwise (install 98 then upgrade to ME) . And I don't have a spare
'newer OS install cd' with a spare win2000/xp license.
I'll keep looking for online cd's / pointers

Thanks

?

Old December 27th 06, 04:34 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq
HH

I'm afraid you are mistaken on the Operating system as shipped. That model
did not ship with Windows 2000, rather with Windows ME.

HH

. ..

Old December 27th 06, 11:41 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq
- Bobb -

"HH" wrote in message
I'm afraid you are mistaken on the Operating system as shipped. That
model did not ship with Windows 2000, rather with Windows ME.

HH

I was taking her word for it, but I agree - now having seen the COA - it
was ME

"- Bobb -" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

Compaq Presario 5296 CPU upgrade Defenestrator Compaq Computers 2 July 11th 04 09:41 PM
Compaq FAQ HH Compaq Computers 0 June 5th 04 11:17 AM
Compaq FAQ **Pls read before posting a question** HH Compaq Computers 0 May 1st 04 11:28 AM
Compaq FAQ HH Compaq Computers 0 February 7th 04 02:59 PM
Compaq FAQ HH Compaq Computers 0 January 31st 04 11:44 AM