budget computer: emachines T3085 vs. compaq SR1030NX

Old June 2nd 04, 04:48 AM
Grateful

"Uncle Vinnie" wrote in message v.net...
I own both... happy with both...

However, there is no question in my mind Compaq is a better built machine..
I'd get the Compaq, pass on the printer, get a 17" flat screen monitor from
OfficeMax at $89. Save where you can... Reliability- Compaq over eMachines
hands down in my books...

Not in my book. Just go to Circuitcity.com and read the reviews of
Compaq and eMachines. eMachines blow them away. We bought an
eMachines, AMD 2800, last Christmas and we are more than pleased with
it, haven't had the first problem with it. Come to find out they
started specing off the shelf parts in their computers, FIC
motherboards, western digital HD's, etc. Gateway couldn't out sell
them so they bought them, they'll probably ruin them.
Grateful
Old June 2nd 04, 05:20 AM
Deep

The reason they use off the shelf parts isn't because they want to PLEASE
you... it's because they have no R and D and are essentially as good as
building one yourself!

eMachines have overall many more problems. I've seen them all first hand.

Deep

om...

Old June 2nd 04, 08:27 AM
CJT

Deep wrote:

The reason they use off the shelf parts isn't because they want to PLEASE
you... it's because they have no R and D and are essentially as good as
building one yourself!

eMachines have overall many more problems. I've seen them all first hand.

I think you'll be happier with eMachines, myself. Compaq seems "too
clever by half" as the old expression says. My impression is that
eMachines is more straightforward.

Deep

om...

Old June 2nd 04, 11:21 AM
HH

If anything, e-machines "support" is even worse than Compaq's. The last one
(e-machines) I looked at inside was not impressive at all. I just bought a
Presario S5200CL. Very neat, inside (wire/cable routing) and out and just
the right amount of "cleverness."
IMHO.
HH

"CJT" wrote in message
Deep wrote:

The reason they use off the shelf parts isn't because they want to

PLEASE
you... it's because they have no R and D and are essentially as good as
building one yourself!

eMachines have overall many more problems. I've seen them all first

hand.

I think you'll be happier with eMachines, myself. Compaq seems "too
clever by half" as the old expression says. My impression is that
eMachines is more straightforward.

Deep

om...

Old June 3rd 04, 02:43 PM
Uncle Vinnie

I may be a bit out of touch- the last e's I bought, as well as my Compaq
range 'e's dating back to over the same time period. No upgrading to the
Mobo, poor power supply, etc... virtually no tech support... Let's just say
that I still use my 5000T, upgraded to a 1.2g and as for the e- it's in the
attic and has outlived it's usefullness....

"CJT" wrote in message
Deep wrote:

The reason they use off the shelf parts isn't because they want to

PLEASE
you... it's because they have no R and D and are essentially as good

as
building one yourself!

eMachines have overall many more problems. I've seen them all first

hand.

I think you'll be happier with eMachines, myself. Compaq seems "too
clever by half" as the old expression says. My impression is that
eMachines is more straightforward.

Deep

om...

Old June 5th 04, 03:39 PM
Grateful

What's wrong with that? If you look at overall reviews Dell, Apple
and the guy next door building Biege boxes get the best overall
customer satisfaction. The guy next door is using off shelf parts and
I know he or she doesn't have R&D. I'd rather have off the shelf
anyday than have propriety parts from other builders, I don't see
anything wrong with eMachines using standard JLMS DVD-Reader and
Lite-On CD-RW's. The main thing I know is the one we have is working
fine and coming from a ten Mac veteran that's saying something. Like I
said read the customer reviews at Circuitcity.com eMachines is getting
much better reviews than Compaq.
Grateful

BTW: Cnet just named the eMachines T3085 Editor's Choice.

"Deep" wrote in message gers.com...
The reason they use off the shelf parts isn't because they want to PLEASE
you... it's because they have no R and D and are essentially as good as
building one yourself!

eMachines have overall many more problems. I've seen them all first hand.

Deep

om...

Old June 5th 04, 03:47 PM
Deep

BTW: Mac's are pretty much the only system left that all proprietary.
Compaq's use replaceable ATX or MicroATX MB's in their consumer models...

Deep

"Grateful" wrote in message
om...
What's wrong with that? If you look at overall reviews Dell, Apple
and the guy next door building Biege boxes get the best overall
customer satisfaction. The guy next door is using off shelf parts and
I know he or she doesn't have R&D. I'd rather have off the shelf
anyday than have propriety parts from other builders, I don't see
anything wrong with eMachines using standard JLMS DVD-Reader and
Lite-On CD-RW's. The main thing I know is the one we have is working
fine and coming from a ten Mac veteran that's saying something. Like I
said read the customer reviews at Circuitcity.com eMachines is getting
much better reviews than Compaq.
Grateful

BTW: Cnet just named the eMachines T3085 Editor's Choice.

"Deep" wrote in message

gers.com...
The reason they use off the shelf parts isn't because they want to

PLEASE
you... it's because they have no R and D and are essentially as good as
building one yourself!

eMachines have overall many more problems. I've seen them all first

hand.

Deep

om...

Old June 5th 04, 07:50 PM
Grateful

You are so right but the funny thing is I've never had to replace
anything inside of the 5 various Mac's I've owned over the years. Well
our eMachines has an FIC AU13 (nVIDIA® nForce2 chipset) MB, I believe
that's the model I checked it when we got, it got great ratings.
Grateful

"Deep" wrote in message . cable.rogers.com...
BTW: Mac's are pretty much the only system left that all proprietary.
Compaq's use replaceable ATX or MicroATX MB's in their consumer models...

Deep

"Grateful" wrote in message
om...
What's wrong with that? If you look at overall reviews Dell, Apple
and the guy next door building Biege boxes get the best overall
customer satisfaction. The guy next door is using off shelf parts and
I know he or she doesn't have R&D. I'd rather have off the shelf
anyday than have propriety parts from other builders, I don't see
anything wrong with eMachines using standard JLMS DVD-Reader and
Lite-On CD-RW's. The main thing I know is the one we have is working
fine and coming from a ten Mac veteran that's saying something. Like I
said read the customer reviews at Circuitcity.com eMachines is getting
much better reviews than Compaq.
Grateful

BTW: Cnet just named the eMachines T3085 Editor's Choice.

"Deep" wrote in message

gers.com...
The reason they use off the shelf parts isn't because they want to

PLEASE
you... it's because they have no R and D and are essentially as good as
building one yourself!

eMachines have overall many more problems. I've seen them all first

hand.

Deep

om...

Compaq FAQ HH Compaq Computers 3 January 3rd 05 02:31 AM
Compaq user diagnostics diskette bananaboat Compaq Computers 3 April 21st 04 03:05 AM
Compaq FAQ **New Info HH Compaq Computers 0 February 28th 04 01:45 PM
Compaq FAQ (New Link included) HH Compaq Computers 0 January 24th 04 02:34 PM