budget computer: emachines T3085 vs. compaq SR1030NX

Old May 3rd 04, 05:27 PM
nick ring

Default budget computer: emachines T3085 vs. compaq SR1030NX

Hi all,
I need to get a new computer and am looking for something decent,
but inexpensive. I know there's trade offs involved. I read the reviews of
the eMachines T3085 which costs $670 before a $50 rebate. At staples the
other day, I saw the Compaq Presario SR1030NX ($665 before $50 rebate),
which seems to have identical specs. both are within my budget (under
$700) and meet most of my needs (I wouldn't mind a faster processor and
someday will put a video card in that AGP slot), but is there any real
difference between these two? Something on the hardware side?
I understand that neither eMachines nor Compaq has a great track
record and I've steered others clear of 'em in the past, but for a feature-
rich budget machine, these seem pretty good. Are there some real catches I
should be seeing here?

So, do I go with the emachines or the compaq? Is there something
else in the price range that is feature-similar that you would recommend?
I don't plan on assembling my own this go-around.

thanks much,
nick

Old May 3rd 04, 08:51 PM
bbeckley

Emachine has a better track record then compact by far. I used to sell
emachines, compaq, hp, sony and toshiba. When someone asked me whats best
for budget, emachine, boght one for my grandma.

Old May 3rd 04, 09:13 PM
nick ring

Bbeckly mentions the eMachines over the compaq. I was almost going to go
that way, but here's my further math:

Emachines (after rebate): $620
separate 17" monitor: $100 (or so)
total: $720 (or so)

staples has a package deal on the compaq,
so that after rebates you get:
compaq st1030nx
compaq 17" monitor
HP 3650 printer
total: $700

Granted, I don't necessarily need a new printer, but even ignoring that,
it's $20 less than buying the emachines and a seperate monitor.

The staples deal expires 5/8, so I have to make my decision before then.

thanks very much for the input.

-nick

Old May 3rd 04, 09:21 PM
William Hung

What is the processor speeds/types in both?
If they are both celerons, get the lowest price machine.

. 196...

Old May 3rd 04, 09:21 PM
William Hung

you sold Compacts?

lkaboutcomputing.com...

Old May 3rd 04, 09:40 PM
bbeckley

I only sold Compaqs if thats what the customer really wanted

Old May 3rd 04, 11:06 PM
Deep

You've got to be joking...

In Canada the eMachines were known as "boomerangs" at Future Shop. A
boomerang product is one that constantly comes back. Returns, defects and
repairs all the time...

Deep

"bbeckley" wrote in message
lkaboutcomputing.com...
I only sold Compaqs if thats what the customer really wanted

Old May 3rd 04, 11:35 PM
Kevin Childers

Depends on what the end user needs in a machine. My spouse is a relatively light PC user and as such the old Emachine system I paid $30.00 for is fine. At 720 MHz (Celeron) and 256 Kb Ram (I did add an old (128 Kb) stick of RAM) it is all she needs. The previous owner was trying to learn and build data base apps on it and had loaded NT4 Server. Needless to say the system was not up to that. As it is it chats, it surfs, it sends Email, edits digital photo albums, and plays her games. That's all she wants it to do and it does it well.

If your going to buy a computer the best way I know to do it is:
1. Select the apps you want to use and look at what their minimum and optimal system requirements are.
2. Buy the system that comes as close to the optimal requirements as possible, within whatever budgetary constraints you must work with.

I learned this from my first SysAdmin and it's worked well with every company I've worked with where I was asked for input on the selection of hardware. To often cost, brand names, or other considerations drive the selection process with the apps that will be running on a system coming in last. This usually leads to less than satisfactory performance and less than happy end users.

Well that's my nickels worth, who wants to use the soap box next?

KC

"Deep" wrote in message ble.rogers.com...
You've got to be joking...

In Canada the eMachines were known as "boomerangs" at Future Shop. A
boomerang product is one that constantly comes back. Returns, defects and
repairs all the time...

Deep

"bbeckley" wrote in message
lkaboutcomputing.com...
I only sold Compaqs if thats what the customer really wanted

Old May 4th 04, 04:20 PM
Uncle Vinnie

I own both... happy with both...

However, there is no question in my mind Compaq is a better built machine..
I'd get the Compaq, pass on the printer, get a 17" flat screen monitor from
OfficeMax at $89. Save where you can... Reliability- Compaq over eMachines
hands down in my books...

. 196...

Compaq FAQ HH Compaq Computers 3 January 3rd 05 01:31 AM
Compaq user diagnostics diskette bananaboat Compaq Computers 3 April 21st 04 03:05 AM
Compaq FAQ **New Info HH Compaq Computers 0 February 28th 04 12:45 PM
Compaq FAQ (New Link included) HH Compaq Computers 0 January 24th 04 01:34 PM