Persario 5002 US Upgrade to XP Home

Old February 9th 04, 01:42 AM
Tate Jackson

Default Persario 5002 US Upgrade to XP Home

I've run into a problem upgrading from Windows ME to XP Home on a Presario
5002US Desktop. We can't do a Clean install or an Upgrade Install.

The XP installation disk refused to copy over 10 or 15 files. They are
mostly .dll files and .drv files. The install gets to about 99 percent
complete and then dumps we into the blue screen of death.

Is there some trick to upgrading Presario 5000 series to Windows XP. The
machine has an 800 mhz Duron and 256 megs of Ram. We are using the Upgrade
addition of XP Home. WE have tried using the Compaq Windows ME restore cd
to put the computer to factory specs and then attempting the upgrade. Same
problems. We tried wiping the hardrive and installing Windows 98 and then
attempting the upgrade. Same problems. Are we running into a Compaq
Proprietary Issue here?

Thanks in advance for the help.

Tate

In order to make an apple pie
from scratch, you must first
create the universe.

-- Carl Sagan, Cosmos

Old February 9th 04, 02:11 AM
HH

Compaq offers driver support for XP for the 5002US, so I doubt there are
proprietary issues. Has any hardware been added/changed in the PC? Did you
run the hardware/software compatibility tests at the beginning if the XP
install?
HH

Old February 9th 04, 02:24 AM
Tate Jackson

The only hardware cahnge to the computer is the addition of 128 megs of ram.
The original 128 meg memry stick is still in the computer (256 meg total).
XP compatitbilty test showed no problems with upgrading to xp.

Thanks

. net...

Old February 9th 04, 05:34 AM
David

Try restoring ME first and then run the Presario cleanup utility before
upgrading to XP.
Download the cleanup utility here.. http://tinyurl.com/3ehuw

Old February 9th 04, 12:00 PM
HH

Just for grins, I'd suggest either swapping out the added 128MB DIMM or
trying the XP install without the extra memory. Finnicky DIMMs can be a bear
to isolate.
HH

"Tate Jackson" wrote in message
link.net...
The only hardware cahnge to the computer is the addition of 128 megs of

ram.
The original 128 meg memry stick is still in the computer (256 meg total).
XP compatitbilty test showed no problems with upgrading to xp.

Thanks

. net...

Old February 9th 04, 12:17 PM
Kim And John Holtz

Hi.

There should not be a problem it you do a clean install
You will lose some of the functions that you had with the original factory
installation.
I am running Windows XP Pro on a Presario 5002US with
768MB of 100 Mhz SDRam 1.4GHz Athlon Thunderbird.
I also got the keyboard functions to operate correctly.

Cheers

link.net...

Old February 9th 04, 06:57 PM
the yeti

Is there some trick to upgrading Presario 5000 series to Windows XP.

The
machine has an 800 mhz Duron and 256 megs of Ram. We are using the

Upgrade
addition of XP Home. WE have tried using the Compaq Windows ME restore

cd
to put the computer to factory specs and then attempting the upgrade.

Same
problems. We tried wiping the hardrive and installing Windows 98 and

then
attempting the upgrade.

Sounds to me like bad media to me. Upgrades of an OS is never a
really good thing when Windows is involved. Too bad you only have an
upgrade disc. If it was bad RAM you would most likely be getting a
STOP error. BTW, 800 Duron 256 is what I would conside the absolute
minimum for XP. You might consider win2k.
Old February 10th 04, 04:59 AM
Tate Jackson

WE got it working. Removing the memory stick did the trick. We'll see how
everything works when we put the ram back in.

thanks for the help.

Tate