RAM Buying advise

Old January 17th 04, 07:07 PM
ñKs

Hmmm, thanks, I thought we were talking deskpro...

"lwags" wrote in message
PC133 256mb sticks did not run in my 5660, just as Tom said.
wrote in message
"ñKs" wrote:

er.... www.crucial.com

Specifically, see
http://www.crucial.com/library/sfiles6.asp

which says, in part:

"You can use PC133 memory in a PC100 system and you can use PC100
memory in a 66MHz system. However, the memory will only run as fast as
the motherboard is capable of handling. For example, your PC133 module
will run at PC100 speed in a system with a 100MHz bus.

"Some people will buy PC133 memory for systems that don't support
PC133 SDRAM with the intent to upgrade the system at a later date with
a motherboard supporting PC133 memory. That way, you can simply take
the memory out of your old system and use it in the new one."

Old January 17th 04, 07:47 PM
Jon Adaptur

On Sat, 17 Jan 2004 17:06:36 GMT, "lwags"
wrote:

PC133 256mb sticks did not run in my 5660, just as Tom said.

OK.. but back to the thread generating question...
for a Compaq 4000 P5233x with 3 slots

What can I use?

The cited crucial article says you can use 133 in a 100, and 100 in
a 66 but can you use 133 in a 66?

If anyone out there has had success with this specific machine (it's a
pretty common commercial machine) maybe they could make a comment

wrote in message
.. .

Old January 17th 04, 10:11 PM
JHEM

Jon Adaptur wrote:

OK.. but back to the thread generating question...
for a Compaq 4000 P5233x with 3 slots

What can I use?

Crucial says to use PC66 memory as that's what it's spec'ed for, but in this
instance I'd try PC100.

The unit is built on the Intel 440BX chipset and, in desktops, I've found
that to be one of the most accomodating setups for accepting random memory
upgrades. Frequently will accept cheap, generic memory and run just fine.
256MB PC100 RAM can be had for less than $44.

(Conversely, the 440BX chipset installed in a laptop results in one of the
most finicky MBs WRT memory!)

http://dealram.com/prices/15/256MB.html

Bear in mind however that the 440BX chipset is limited to a max of 256MB per
memory slot.

The cited crucial article says you can use 133 in a 100, and 100 in
a 66 but can you use 133 in a 66?

Almost never.

Regards,

James

Old January 18th 04, 02:41 PM
Mystras

Jon Adaptur wrote in message . ..
can anyone advise me on how to buy ram from ebay ..

1. Call or email compaq with your Model number AND (important) the SN#
of your computer.
2. Ask them about the product number of the RAM your computer needs or
check your manuals which came with your computer.
3. Go to www.kingston.com and to other Ram manufacturers web pages to
find an equiv. compaq RAM.
4. With all this product numbers sarch in ebay about your RAM.
Alternate you can search with Model Number. (compaq preasario 1211)
Old January 18th 04, 06:06 PM
HH

Better yet, try:
www.crucial.com

HH

"Mystras" wrote in message
om...

. ..

Old January 19th 04, 12:11 AM
Mystras

Not possible to search with the compaq Part Nr.in crucial. Only with
model name but they have not all of them in there data base.

"HH" wrote in message .net...
Better yet, try:
www.crucial.com

Old January 19th 04, 02:34 AM
HH

They have 90% of them. I have Crucial DIMMs in both of my Compaqs.

HH

"Mystras" wrote in message
om...
Not possible to search with the compaq Part Nr.in crucial. Only with
model name but they have not all of them in there data base.

"HH" wrote in message

.net...
Better yet, try:
www.crucial.com