Compaq Armada M300 touchpad

Old January 5th 04, 08:11 PM
Sally Thompson

Default Compaq Armada M300 touchpad

I've tried to find the answer to this online without success. My son
has just given me his Armada M300 Notebook, which I love! However,
I'm not used to the touchpad and I don't like the fact that it will
"select" a program without a click, just by pointing to it. My son
thinks there's a way to turn off that feature, but I can't find it.
Can anyone advise?

--
Sally in Shropshire, UK
http://www.stonybrook-ludlow.co.uk
Old January 5th 04, 08:40 PM
Kevin Childers

You should be able to use the mouse settings in the control panel group.
Occasionally a device will have it's own proprietary app to change it's
settings, but I don't think so on this one.

KC

Old January 5th 04, 08:58 PM
Sally Thompson

On Mon, 5 Jan 2004 14:40:03 -0600, "Kevin Childers"
wrote:

"Sally Thompson" wrote in message

I've tried to find the answer to this online without success. My son
has just given me his Armada M300 Notebook, which I love! However,
I'm not used to the touchpad and I don't like the fact that it will
"select" a program without a click, just by pointing to it. My son
thinks there's a way to turn off that feature, but I can't find it.
Can anyone advise?

You should be able to use the mouse settings in the control panel group.
Occasionally a device will have it's own proprietary app to change it's
settings, but I don't think so on this one.

Thanks Kevin but I can't find anything relating to the touch pad in
the mouse settings. In fact, if I merely hover the pointer over the
test area, the jack in the box pops up as though I have double
clicked! If all else fails, I expect I'll get used to it, but at
present I keep opening programs when I'm merely browsing to see what's
on there.

Old January 5th 04, 11:42 PM
Pham

Is the notebook running Windows Plus?

Sounds like a feature found in that add-on program.

Old January 6th 04, 01:12 AM
Trai' La Trash

Here you will find software for the touchpad that is better than what Compaq
offers. Has more options.

http://www.synaptics.com/support/downloads.cfm

Dave

Old January 6th 04, 08:45 PM
Sally Thompson

On Mon, 5 Jan 2004 20:12:59 -0500, "Trai' La Trash"
wrote:

Here you will find software for the touchpad that is better than what Compaq
offers. Has more options.

http://www.synaptics.com/support/downloads.cfm

Thank you Dave - will check it out.

Old January 6th 04, 09:15 PM
Trai' La Trash

Sally it should work for you.
One other thing I found on one of my machines was that after I installed
the driver I had to use msconfig to to take the touchpad software out of the
startup so it wasnt running all the time in the background.

Old January 9th 04, 03:20 PM
Sally Thompson

On Fri, 09 Jan 2004 07:26:51 GMT, "andrew2000"
wrote:

settings are in control panel, under mouse

"Sally Thompson" wrote in message

I've tried to find the answer to this online without success. My son
has just given me his Armada M300 Notebook, which I love! However,
I'm not used to the touchpad and I don't like the fact that it will
"select" a program without a click, just by pointing to it. My son
thinks there's a way to turn off that feature, but I can't find it.
Can anyone advise?

I just can't see it Andrew. If I go to Mouse Properties I have three
tabs. Under buttons, I have button configuration, right-handed or
left-handed, and double-click speed. Under Pointers, it is set as
Windows Standard (and not relevant anyway). Under Motion, I have
Pointer speed and Pointer trail. I am really puzzled. However, I
have had a look at the synaptics software recommended by Trai'La
Trash, and will probably try that if I can't change it another way.
Thanks anyway.
Old January 10th 04, 05:09 PM
Kevin Childers

If you are using XP, please be cognizant that not all of their stuff is
M$ XP approved. My son is highly irritated by this as the automatic update
on his Emachine laptop downloaded a new driver and XP pop's a screen warning
every time he boots it that the Driver is not XP approved and that he needs
to update to an approved one. To date Synaptics has not posted one to their
site. The one he has works great, it's just that annoying little pop-up
that he gets every time he boots up.