problem with compaq 5000

Old December 28th 03, 06:09 PM
rxkiller(antispam)

Default problem with compaq 5000

I am working on a compaq 5000 with an AMD K6-II processor in it and I
cannot figure out why it constantly freezes up on me. I have completely
formatted and restored the OS (Win ME) and done a BIOS (ROMpaq) update.
I have run a test on all of the hardware and it checks out OK using
the Compaq diagnostics, and Burn In Pro. Sometimes the computer will
run for hours without freeezing but sometimes only minutes. When the
computer freezes NOTHING will get it going again aside from a power
re-boot. The computer even froze on me a couple of times while trying
to do the restore so I am guessing the problem must be hardware related.

This problem is driving me crazy and any help would be greatly appreciated.

Old December 29th 03, 03:40 AM
The Kruegers

Definitely hardware related. The problem is it could be caused by numerous
things. Usually though its either an overheating CPU, bad power supply, or
bad motherboard.

Old December 29th 03, 07:57 AM
donutbandit

"The Kruegers" wrote in
:

Definitely hardware related. The problem is it could be caused by
numerous things. Usually though its either an overheating CPU, bad
power supply, or bad motherboard.

Or failing RAM.
Old December 29th 03, 09:44 PM
the yeti

$10 says its overheating. Add a case fan.
Old January 4th 04, 10:10 AM
rxkiller(antispam)

I have already tried all of these things with no resolve. I am thinking
it is the motherboard with some sort of problem.

Old January 10th 04, 08:57 AM
Michael Mitchell

Check the heatsink on the cpu for excessive dust build up causing
overheating

Clean the memory cards and slots dust in here often is the cause of freezing
computers and can be over looked

Old January 20th 04, 07:50 AM
donutbandit

"Michael Naven" wrote in
:

The computer even froze on me a couple of
times while trying to do the restore so I am guessing the problem
must be hardware related.

I am betting it is merely Windows ME, a very bad operating system.

What would ME have to do with it freezing during a restore?

Post your proof, please. I am sick and tired of know nothing morons blaming
ME for everything. All you do is parrot what you heard somebody else say.

There is only one thing wrong with ME and that's IE 5.5. Upgrade or get rid
of it and you have a solid OS.

Old January 20th 04, 11:54 PM
Trai' La Trash

Michael Naven wrote:
I am betting it is merely Windows ME, a very bad operating system.

I'm betting the guy who knocks the O/S is a person who didn't do a clean
install or has a system full of bloatware and spyware.

http://www.webopedia.com/TERM/B/bloatware.html
http://www.webopedia.com/TERM/s/spyware.html

Problem: Compaq EVO D310 vs Nvidia Graphics Card. Tomas General 5 November 1st 03 05:39 PM
Compaq 5000T with Quickrestore problem Robert John Compaq Computers 0 October 31st 03 12:57 AM
Compaq FAQ HH Compaq Computers 0 October 3rd 03 04:09 PM
Compaq FAQ HH Compaq Computers 1 August 7th 03 11:24 PM
Compaq FAQ HH Compaq Computers 0 August 7th 03 04:22 PM