A computer components & hardware forum. HardwareBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » HardwareBanter forum » System Manufacturers & Vendors » Compaq Computers
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Compaq Laptop - delete System Save Partition?



 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old October 6th 03, 04:11 AM
JCH
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default Compaq Laptop - delete System Save Partition?

I have a Compaq 1800XL1 with two partitions; Local Disk (C and System Save
(D. The D: partition takes up about 2.3G of HD space. Can I safely delete
the D: partition and thus free up more HD space?


  #2  
Old October 6th 03, 04:45 AM
HH
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default

No such animal as an 1800XL1. 1800XL180? XL181? XL190? Anyway, leave it if
you want to use the Recovery CD to do a full Restore.
HH

"JCH" wrote in message
.. .
I have a Compaq 1800XL1 with two partitions; Local Disk (C and System

Save
(D. The D: partition takes up about 2.3G of HD space. Can I safely

delete
the D: partition and thus free up more HD space?



  #3  
Old October 6th 03, 05:18 AM
jch
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default

I have a Presario 1800XL1. Why do you say there isn't such an animal?
Anyway, I've never had the need to do a system restore. The laptop
originally came with Windows 95 which I upgraded to ME. I'd rather make good
use of the extra HD space. Will I be shooting myself in the foot by deleting
this partition?

"HH" wrote in message
news
No such animal as an 1800XL1. 1800XL180? XL181? XL190? Anyway, leave it if
you want to use the Recovery CD to do a full Restore.
HH

"JCH" wrote in message
.. .
I have a Compaq 1800XL1 with two partitions; Local Disk (C and System

Save
(D. The D: partition takes up about 2.3G of HD space. Can I safely

delete
the D: partition and thus free up more HD space?





  #4  
Old October 6th 03, 05:31 AM
HH
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Aha! I see it. It's an 1800T-XL1. I listed all the North American 1800XL,
not the 1800T-XL series models produced by Compaq. Anyway, if you have no
need to ever do a restore, and you do not need the Compaq driver folders, go
ahead.
HH

"jch" wrote in message
.. .
I have a Presario 1800XL1. Why do you say there isn't such an animal?
Anyway, I've never had the need to do a system restore. The laptop
originally came with Windows 95 which I upgraded to ME. I'd rather make

good
use of the extra HD space. Will I be shooting myself in the foot by

deleting
this partition?

"HH" wrote in message
news
No such animal as an 1800XL1. 1800XL180? XL181? XL190? Anyway, leave it

if
you want to use the Recovery CD to do a full Restore.
HH

"JCH" wrote in message
.. .
I have a Compaq 1800XL1 with two partitions; Local Disk (C and

System
Save
(D. The D: partition takes up about 2.3G of HD space. Can I safely

delete
the D: partition and thus free up more HD space?







  #5  
Old October 6th 03, 05:23 PM
Rackie
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default

There most certainly is a 1800XL1. I've had one for 3.5 years now.
Get your facts straight.

Yes, you can delete that partition. I repartitioned my hd into 5
partitions. I've never had to use the restore disk(have heard that
many time they do not work and that don't surprise me) but most likely
it will repartition to the factory settings.


"HH" wrote:

No such animal as an 1800XL1. 1800XL180? XL181? XL190? Anyway, leave it if
you want to use the Recovery CD to do a full Restore.
HH

"JCH" wrote in message
. ..
I have a Compaq 1800XL1 with two partitions; Local Disk (C and System

Save
(D. The D: partition takes up about 2.3G of HD space. Can I safely

delete
the D: partition and thus free up more HD space?



  #6  
Old October 6th 03, 05:53 PM
HH
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default

I beg to differ. There is an 1800T-XL1, a CTO (configure to order), but no
1800XL1.In fact there are 4 models of 1800T-XL1, the 450, 500, 600 and 650.
Also there are also other models of 1800T-XLs, the XL2 and XL4. I make every
effort to get my facts straight. I suggest you do the same before
criticizing others.
HH

"Rackie" wrote in message
...
There most certainly is a 1800XL1. I've had one for 3.5 years now.
Get your facts straight.

Yes, you can delete that partition. I repartitioned my hd into 5
partitions. I've never had to use the restore disk(have heard that
many time they do not work and that don't surprise me) but most likely
it will repartition to the factory settings.


"HH" wrote:

No such animal as an 1800XL1. 1800XL180? XL181? XL190? Anyway, leave it

if
you want to use the Recovery CD to do a full Restore.
HH

"JCH" wrote in message
. ..
I have a Compaq 1800XL1 with two partitions; Local Disk (C and System

Save
(D. The D: partition takes up about 2.3G of HD space. Can I safely

delete
the D: partition and thus free up more HD space?





  #7  
Old October 7th 03, 12:10 AM
Tom Scales
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default

I'd be absolutely shocked if HH was wrong. He's an ex-Compaq tech and BY FAR
the most useful and helpful person on this newsgroup.

Tom
"HH" wrote in message
...
I beg to differ. There is an 1800T-XL1, a CTO (configure to order), but no
1800XL1.In fact there are 4 models of 1800T-XL1, the 450, 500, 600 and

650.
Also there are also other models of 1800T-XLs, the XL2 and XL4. I make

every
effort to get my facts straight. I suggest you do the same before
criticizing others.
HH

"Rackie" wrote in message
...
There most certainly is a 1800XL1. I've had one for 3.5 years now.
Get your facts straight.

Yes, you can delete that partition. I repartitioned my hd into 5
partitions. I've never had to use the restore disk(have heard that
many time they do not work and that don't surprise me) but most likely
it will repartition to the factory settings.


"HH" wrote:

No such animal as an 1800XL1. 1800XL180? XL181? XL190? Anyway, leave it

if
you want to use the Recovery CD to do a full Restore.
HH

"JCH" wrote in message
. ..
I have a Compaq 1800XL1 with two partitions; Local Disk (C and

System
Save
(D. The D: partition takes up about 2.3G of HD space. Can I safely
delete
the D: partition and thus free up more HD space?







  #8  
Old October 7th 03, 04:43 AM
jch
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Useful or not, he's *wrong* about the 1800XL1. I have had this laptop for 3
or 4 years now and I should know what I own. The laptop plainly says
1800-XL1 on the model/serial number tag. This is ridiculous. Perhaps you'd
like to argue next about what model car I own


"Tom Scales" wrote in message
...
I'd be absolutely shocked if HH was wrong. He's an ex-Compaq tech and BY

FAR
the most useful and helpful person on this newsgroup.

Tom
"HH" wrote in message
...
I beg to differ. There is an 1800T-XL1, a CTO (configure to order), but

no
1800XL1.In fact there are 4 models of 1800T-XL1, the 450, 500, 600 and

650.
Also there are also other models of 1800T-XLs, the XL2 and XL4. I make

every
effort to get my facts straight. I suggest you do the same before
criticizing others.
HH

"Rackie" wrote in message
...
There most certainly is a 1800XL1. I've had one for 3.5 years now.
Get your facts straight.

Yes, you can delete that partition. I repartitioned my hd into 5
partitions. I've never had to use the restore disk(have heard that
many time they do not work and that don't surprise me) but most likely
it will repartition to the factory settings.


"HH" wrote:

No such animal as an 1800XL1. 1800XL180? XL181? XL190? Anyway, leave

it
if
you want to use the Recovery CD to do a full Restore.
HH

"JCH" wrote in message
. ..
I have a Compaq 1800XL1 with two partitions; Local Disk (C and

System
Save
(D. The D: partition takes up about 2.3G of HD space. Can I

safely
delete
the D: partition and thus free up more HD space?









  #9  
Old October 7th 03, 05:57 AM
DEJ57
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default

I'd be absolutely shocked if HH was wrong. He's an ex-Compaq tech and BY FAR
the most useful and helpful person on this newsgroup.


HH makes the youthful mistake sometimes of unquestioned belief in what
something says on a printed page somewhere, and then arrogantly slapping down
folks with it.
As with "always" and "never", these beliefs get you into trouble and error more
times than not. And doesn't help make new friends...

Also, I had a Compaq tech one insist I had slots in my PC that I did not, so
some certainly do make mistakes, so, while HH is very helpful, he's not the
Pope sharing infallible direction.

Currently he is one of the most helpful, but that's relative, as he is a rather
recent participant, and many before him have been as, if not more, helpful,
over the past six years or so, and without the attitude...

Dale
  #10  
Old October 7th 03, 04:57 PM
Rackie
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default

You can beg to differ all you want. I have an 1800XL1 and so do some
other users in the newsgroup. You need to get your facts straight
before you go spouting all your so called expertise.


"HH" wrote:

I beg to differ. There is an 1800T-XL1, a CTO (configure to order), but no
1800XL1.In fact there are 4 models of 1800T-XL1, the 450, 500, 600 and 650.
Also there are also other models of 1800T-XLs, the XL2 and XL4. I make every
effort to get my facts straight. I suggest you do the same before
criticizing others.
HH

"Rackie" wrote in message
.. .
There most certainly is a 1800XL1. I've had one for 3.5 years now.
Get your facts straight.

Yes, you can delete that partition. I repartitioned my hd into 5
partitions. I've never had to use the restore disk(have heard that
many time they do not work and that don't surprise me) but most likely
it will repartition to the factory settings.


"HH" wrote:

No such animal as an 1800XL1. 1800XL180? XL181? XL190? Anyway, leave it

if
you want to use the Recovery CD to do a full Restore.
HH

"JCH" wrote in message
. ..
I have a Compaq 1800XL1 with two partitions; Local Disk (C and System
Save
(D. The D: partition takes up about 2.3G of HD space. Can I safely
delete
the D: partition and thus free up more HD space?





 




Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
my new mobo o/c's great rockerrock Overclocking AMD Processors 9 June 30th 04 08:17 PM
Athlon CPU Upgrade in Compaq Laptop Karl North Overclocking AMD Processors 3 June 16th 04 07:52 AM
To All HP & Compaq Laptop Users, please read this Yvo General 4 March 6th 04 02:43 PM
using a laptop as a desktop system.. MrJumbles Homebuilt PC's 5 February 5th 04 01:22 AM
how much can i overclock my computer en how MiniDisc_2k2 Overclocking 2 July 6th 03 12:58 AM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 08:13 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2022 HardwareBanter.
The comments are property of their posters.