Installing new drive

Old August 5th 03, 01:45 PM
Jack H

"Tony Williams" wrote in message
This is driving me NUTS! I have created diagnostic and startup discs I

have

Tony, what operating system are you using, I seem to remember that some of
Maxtor's stuff does not work with Win XP.
Try Maxtor's web page. I have heard about Compaq's boot problem, but I know
nothing about it. Does Compaq or HP have an email address you can usefor a
little tech support? I know this is not much help.

Old August 5th 03, 01:57 PM
Tony Williams

Thanks Jack I'm using W98SE. I've downloaded the instructions from the
Compaq site but as you see I'm still having problems
Tony
ink.net...

Old August 5th 03, 03:51 PM
Jack H

Tony, I have sort of lost track of this thread. I think you said you have a
new Maxtor HD. Did you get a CD with the new drive? If you did, you should
be able to run the CD, select make the new HD bootable, and to copy the old
HD files to the new HD. On the first go set the jumper on old HD, to cable
select, with the ribbon IDE connector attached to the old HD at the first
connection. Set the new HD jumper to cable select, and attach the ribbon
IDE connection to the second connector.
After the files on the old HD have been copied to the new CD, shut the
computer down and change the IDE ribbon connection to: old HD, use second
connector, new HD use the first connection. This will make the new HD a
master and the old HD the slave. If it goes well you should be able to
bootup on your new HD. If this happens your new HD will be "C", and your old
HD will be"D". Each of them will have the same files, you can then safely
delete the old HD.
If you do not use cable select, you can jumper the HDs as master or slave,
in this case it does not matter which connection on the IDE cable is used.

Old August 5th 03, 04:46 PM
HH

Remove the partitions and the boot diskette should work. Just follow the
prompts. The original cable was Cable Select. These cables have the drive
positions on the cable or connectors, i.e., drive 0 for master and drive 1
for slave.
Newer cables use color coding, black for master and grey for slave.

HH

"Tony Williams" wrote in message
HH Is it possible to delete the hidden partition on the c drive and get

the
PC to boot up as a "normal" PC If I formatted the new drive on another
machine as Format /s would it boot to the C:\ command?
Tony
"HH" wrote in message
. ..
As long as the cable is a cable select compatible cable. Is the new HD
already partitioned and formatted?
Is it a Presario?
HH

"Tony Williams" wrote in message
Can someone (probably HH?) point me in the direction of instructions

on
how
to install a new hard drive in a Desktop 4000. Following my previous

post
downloaded the softpaq and diagnostics discs but the diagnostics don't

seem
to work I keep getting message saying cant find NTdll and asking to

insert
new disc. I thought the diagnostic was a bootable disc. The disc I am
installing is a Maxtor which says on it Cable Select jumper installed

does
this mean I can't use it with ordinary IDE cables?
I really need some ABC help here I'm not used to Compaq PC's with

their
special boot configuration
TIA

--
Tony Williams

Old August 5th 03, 06:09 PM
Tony Williams

Thanks for all that Jack That's what I was hoping to do. However it seems
that the problem might be a bit more fundamental! The friend's PC is a
Deskpro 4000 and it would appear that it doesn't like a drive of 10GB. I
tried to setup a partition using fdisk (its not a new drive, works fine
though in my machine) and even that complained it got to 24% and said no
more space to create partition. Nothing on the drive at all so how could it
run out of space? I think the MB and CMOS just can't cope with a 10GB drive.
I think I'm on the verge of giving up!!
Tony
ink.net...

Old August 5th 03, 07:32 PM
Jack H

Tony, I am sorry I missed the mark. Your machine is evidently several years
old, and has a BIOS limitation on harddrive size. I know some
computers/motherboards have updated BIOS you can flash that will remove a
the harddrive limitation.
I think I read that Maxtor has a procedure to work around the limitation. I
see on Maxtor's web site that their MaxBlast has a procedure to, " Set Drive
Size Utility for BIOS limited systems".That is the extent of my knowledge-
good luck.

Old August 5th 03, 07:58 PM
Tony Williams

Thank you Jack you have been extremely helpful and its always nice to know
someone "out there" is ready to listen
Tony
nk.net...