Win98 "pci system bus" on Presario 1700

Old July 26th 03, 03:10 AM
HH

Default Win98 "pci system bus" on Presario 1700

What OS was originally installed?
HH

"emjay" wrote in message
om...
Hello all,

I have downloaded the relevant files from
http://www29.compaq.com/falco/sp_res...odel=3677&Os=8
but device manager still reports of problem with "pci system bus
management"
It's for win98se in presario 1721AP.

Any clues?

Thanks.

Old July 26th 03, 03:29 AM
Quaoar

emjay wrote:
Hello all,

I have downloaded the relevant files from
http://www29.compaq.com/falco/sp_res...odel=3677&Os=8
but device manager still reports of problem with "pci system bus
management"
It's for win98se in presario 1721AP.

Any clues?

Thanks.

You might need to remove the offending device from device manager in
safe mode, reboot, and let the OS redetect the bus and its subsidiary
components so that PCI devices can be reinstalled properly. Check the
ReadMe if any.

Old July 31st 03, 12:42 AM
Quaoar

emjay wrote:
Done that, but upon rebooting it still requested for the drivers. None
of the downloaded files contains the drivers it was looking for, hence
the problem persists.

TQ.

"Quaoar" wrote in message
emjay wrote:
Hello all,

I have downloaded the relevant files from
http://www29.compaq.com/falco/sp_res...odel=3677&Os=8
but device manager still reports of problem with "pci system bus
management"
It's for win98se in presario 1721AP.

Any clues?

Thanks.

You might need to remove the offending device from device manager in
safe mode, reboot, and let the OS redetect the bus and its subsidiary
components so that PCI devices can be reinstalled properly. Check
the
ReadMe if any.

Did you follow the instructions for extracting and installing the
relevant files? If this is the system adjustment sofpaq, it asks for
the production of the CD (bootable?) from which to do whatever it does.
Probably installing the chipset drivers.

BTW, why are you downgrading from XP Home to Win98SE?

Old July 31st 03, 06:53 AM
emjay

Thanks for your suggestion.

Maybe the problem is because I didn't burn the cd, but just the
software from a folder (a "setup.exe" does exist amongst the expanded
files).

I'm downgrading 'cos most of my softwares are for Win98., and also XP
seems sluggish on this old notebook.

Thanks.

Old July 31st 03, 08:52 AM
SFR

"emjay" a écrit dans le message news:
Original OS was XP home.

(...)
I have downloaded the relevant files from
http://www29.compaq.com/falco/sp_res...odel=3677&Os=8
but device manager still reports of problem with "pci system bus
management"
It's for win98se in presario 1721AP.

Any clues?

Thanks.

Is the modem working allright ? Had several issues like that with
unrecognized pci devices, and correct drivers made it ok.

Yours should be a Conexant V92, but in Compaq's website, I can't find it for
Win98... I have successfully tried the v90 drivers (sp18184) in the past
with 17XXEA and 7XXEA series.

If I remember correctly, this softpaq has an installation problem : it says
that the OS version is incorrect and stops. But it has decompressed the
driver files in c:\sptemp (wow, this was looooong ago...), so manual install
is possible

My 2 cents,

Serge

---

Old July 31st 03, 08:58 AM
SFR

Yours should be a Conexant V92, but in Compaq's website, I can't find it
for
Win98... I have successfully tried the v90 drivers (sp18184) in the past
with 17XXEA and 7XXEA series.

Ok, forgot to look on their evo counterparts :

SP22986 : Conexant HSFi V92 MiniPCI Modem Drivers

This Softpaq contains the drivers for the Conexant HSFi V92 MiniPCI Modem or
the Conexant Intl HSFi V92 MiniPCI Modem in the notebook models and
operating system listed below.

Enhancements:
Includes support for Net Waiting / Modem On Hold when connected to a V.92
server (see NOTE below about the Net Waiting V.92 feature).

Notes:
This SoftPaq support Microsoft Windows 98 SE

Hope this helps !

Regards,

Serge

---

Old July 31st 03, 01:32 PM
Quaoar

"Quaoar" wrote in message
Did you follow the instructions for extracting and installing the
relevant files? If this is the system adjustment sofpaq, it asks for
the production of the CD (bootable?) from which to do whatever it
does.
Probably installing the chipset drivers.

BTW, why are you downgrading from XP Home to Win98SE?

Read the instructions in the extracted files. You most certainly must
execute some program to effect the system board update.