asus wifi

Old June 2nd 04, 11:29 PM
Rocky

Default asus wifi

Anyone here use the wifi slot on their asus board?

I have a wifi-b in the p4c880E-D and a wifi PCI in the 2nd PC. They seem to
be set up correctly as the Wireless Network Connection says they are
connected and is reporting a good signal strength, however the host PC
cannot access the internet (page not found). Also I cannot see or browse the
folders of either PC from the other. I suspect there is a file sharing
wizard or something I have still to run, even though they are connected via
wifi...?

--
Rocky
www.ghostrecon.net | www.agr-s.com | www.tactical-elite.net

__
..

Old June 2nd 04, 11:30 PM
Rocky

I meant to say the CLIENT PC cannot browse the web, the host PC is the one
with the always on BB, and it is connected to the web as normal.

Old June 3rd 04, 05:16 AM
Frankie Howerd

"Rocky" wrote in message
I meant to say the CLIENT PC cannot browse the web, the host PC is the one
with the always on BB, and it is connected to the web as normal.

Sounds like similar symptoms to mine, except that now and again I would get
an internet connection, which would be fine for an hour or two before
slowing to a crawl, lots of packet loss etc etc. Fiddled with it for a few
days before getting to the tipping point where you realise life is too
short; I ****canned it and replaced with a Netgear PCI 802.11b card, and
life has been fine ever since.

Old June 3rd 04, 01:21 PM
Frank Hahn

"Frankie Howerd" wrote in
:

"Rocky" wrote in message
I meant to say the CLIENT PC cannot browse the web, the host PC is
the one with the always on BB, and it is connected to the web as
normal.

Sounds like similar symptoms to mine, except that now and again I
would get an internet connection, which would be fine for an hour or
two before slowing to a crawl, lots of packet loss etc etc. Fiddled
with it for a few days before getting to the tipping point where you
realise life is too short; I ****canned it and replaced with a Netgear
PCI 802.11b card, and life has been fine ever since.

I have always used Linux for this, but on the host machine above, shouldn't
there be some kind of internet sharing software being run? I thought the
later versions of MS Windows came with some sort of software to do this.

--
Frank Hahn
Old June 3rd 04, 11:42 PM
notritenoteri

what flavour of OS you running? Xp has a wizard for internet connections.
Whether or not it covers wifi I don't know.

.

Old June 4th 04, 01:31 AM
Rocky

"notritenoteri" wrote in message
news
what flavour of OS you running? Xp has a wizard for internet connections.

XP Prof.

I have ran the Asus installer, and also the XP home networking ICS
installer, still no joy. I am giving up and going to get somebody around who
has done this before. Grrrrrrrr.

Old June 4th 04, 01:41 PM
notritenoteri

It is possible the the order in which you do things is important and that
you really clean up before you try re-installing. I know certain USB
drivers require a manual search and flush to get rid of all drivers and
references in the Registry.

Lots of luck tell us how it comes out.

Old June 4th 04, 05:53 PM
Philip Harding

"Rocky" wrote in message
I meant to say the CLIENT PC cannot browse the web, the host PC is the one
with the always on BB, and it is connected to the web as normal.

Firewall?

Old June 4th 04, 06:05 PM
Rocky

"Philip Harding" wrote in message

"Rocky" wrote in message
I meant to say the CLIENT PC cannot browse the web, the host PC is the

one
with the always on BB, and it is connected to the web as normal.

Firewall?

I am running Zonealarm on both PCs. I am reluctant to try without them for
security reasons as I had my FW down for 2 minutes recently and got
infected with two pretty bad virus.

It's about the only thing I have not tried though....

Old June 4th 04, 07:12 PM
Philip Harding

"Rocky" wrote in message
I meant to say the CLIENT PC cannot browse the web, the host PC is the

one
with the always on BB, and it is connected to the web as normal.

Firewall?

I am running Zonealarm on both PCs. I am reluctant to try without them for
security reasons as I had my FW down for 2 minutes recently and got
infected with two pretty bad virus.

It's about the only thing I have not tried though....

I think you've found your problem.....disconnect your modem, then disable ZA
on BOTH pcs and see if you can do simple file sharing....if file sharing
then works you know your problem and need to allow ICS and XP Filesharing to
bypass the firewall/go straight through it.....