Compaq Laptop won't boot to CD.

Old November 6th 06, 03:15 PM posted to microsoft.public.win2000.setup,microsoft.public.win2000.hardware,comp.sys.laptops,alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq
Ben Myers

Default Compaq Laptop won't boot to CD.

Yes. The best one can hope for with a failing/failed hard drive is that it
will spin up and run long enough so that important DATA files can be copied from
it onto a replacement hard drive which has been set up with the right operating
system. As a rule, one forget any possibility of getting copies of installed
software from a failing hard drive, because the software installation puts lots
and lots of entries into the Windows registry and splatters program files and
DLLs all over the hard drive... Ben Myers

On Mon, 06 Nov 2006 07:55:11 -0600, Bob I wrote:

Failing harddrives don't "revive". If you have physical failure, and you
are attempting to install to it, you are wasting your time. They don't
heal.

Your hard drive is dead. Although you can try reseating it. My money's
on dead. Your CDROM probably died some time ago, or your CD media is
damaged/dirty. You can try cleaning the lens of the CD drive with
alcohol and a cotton swab. It's old enough, the leans may just be
dirty.

Your laptop is 8-11 years old. Drives fail.

The hard drive is old and failing but I would want to try revive it. It
has worked for many years until it was upgraded to windows 2000 Pro
then only a few days later it will boot up halfway into windows and
then hangs.

I have a startup disk for windows 98 and boot disk for windows 2000 and
both have failed to open into the command prompt. I've have had
windows 2000 hang like this before on a brand new hard drive and it
turns out the solution is to load the startup disk and run chkdsk. How
do I run chkdsk?

Thanks

Old November 7th 06, 02:14 AM posted to microsoft.public.win2000.setup,microsoft.public.win2000.hardware,comp.sys.laptops,alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq
[email protected]

Your hard drive is dead. Although you can try reseating it. My money's
on dead. Your CDROM probably died some time ago, or your CD media is
damaged/dirty. You can try cleaning the lens of the CD drive with
alcohol and a cotton swab. It's old enough, the leans may just be
dirty.

Your laptop is 8-11 years old. Drives fail.

The hard drive is old and failing but I would want to try revive it. It
has worked for many years until it was upgraded to windows 2000 Pro
then only a few days later it will boot up halfway into windows and
then hangs.

Looks dead, to me.

Although..... Lots and lots of win95 machines shipped with just 16MB
RAM. This will work (marginally) for win98. It will not work for win2k.
64MB is marginal for win2k. IT could be you're fighting a separate
issue.

Try nuking the drive and reloading win98.

This is a program that will wipe your hard drive, even if it's badly
damaged. But if this doesn't detect your hard drive at all.... you're
looking at replacing the drive. Period. You will not be able to a use a
new drive, because new drives are too large. The replacement should be
under 8gb.

http://dban.sourceforge.net/

Old November 7th 06, 03:53 PM posted to microsoft.public.win2000.setup,microsoft.public.win2000.hardware,comp.sys.laptops,alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq
Barry Watzman

That is not always true. Sometimes, the system just won't boot at all,
period, if the drive is too big. It all depends on how the bios is written.

Ian Singer wrote:

New drives work in old systems, just that they won't see it all. My dos
desktop has 20 gig drive in it but DOS is only seeing 2 gig partitions
and will not see anything out past about 7 gig.

Ian Singer

Old November 7th 06, 10:05 PM posted to microsoft.public.win2000.setup,microsoft.public.win2000.hardware,comp.sys.laptops,alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq
Gary Chanson

"John John" wrote in message
Gary Chanson wrote:
"- Bobb -" wrote in message
. ..

"Gary Chanson" wrote in message
.. .

Additionally, it may be that you simply don't have a bootable CD in
the
drive. The Windows 2000 Setup disk should be bootable but your disk
might
be damaged.

You should be able to boot into DOS from either a floppy or CD.

--

- Gary Chanson (Windows SDK MVP)
- Abolish Public Schools

re - your signature ... in my town they want to "renovate" all 5
schools - cost = 285 million friggin dollars. Movin on out.

Well, they're just looking out for the welfare of ...

the contractors.

--

- Gary Chanson (Windows SDK MVP)
- Abolish Public Schools

Whose welfare are private schools looking out for?

Today, probably no one.

Old November 9th 06, 06:54 PM posted to microsoft.public.win2000.setup,microsoft.public.win2000.hardware,comp.sys.laptops,alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq
Nicholas D Richards

Default OT - Compaq Laptop won't boot to CD.

In article , Gary Chanson
writes

"John John" wrote in message
Gary Chanson wrote:
"- Bobb -" wrote in message
. ..

re - your signature ... in my town they want to "renovate" all 5
schools - cost = 285 million friggin dollars. Movin on out.

Well, they're just looking out for the welfare of ...

the contractors.

--

- Gary Chanson (Windows SDK MVP)
- Abolish Public Schools

Whose welfare are private schools looking out for?

Today, probably no one.

--

- Gary Chanson (Windows SDK MVP)
- Abolish Public Schools

Just out of interest are we talking about British Public Schools, or
American Public Schools. They are very different animals.
--
Nicholas David Richards -

"Oł sont les neiges d'antan?"
Old November 9th 06, 08:56 PM posted to microsoft.public.win2000.setup,microsoft.public.win2000.hardware,comp.sys.laptops,alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq
Gary Chanson

"Nicholas D Richards" wrote in message
In article , Gary Chanson
writes

"John John" wrote in message
Gary Chanson wrote:
"- Bobb -" wrote in message
. ..

re - your signature ... in my town they want to "renovate" all 5
schools - cost = 285 million friggin dollars. Movin on out.

Well, they're just looking out for the welfare of ...

the contractors.

--

- Gary Chanson (Windows SDK MVP)
- Abolish Public Schools

Whose welfare are private schools looking out for?

Today, probably no one.

--

- Gary Chanson (Windows SDK MVP)
- Abolish Public Schools

Just out of interest are we talking about British Public Schools, or
American Public Schools. They are very different animals.

American.