Proprietary Components

Old September 22nd 06, 01:07 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Sideshow Bob

Default Proprietary Components

After reading the recent thread on proprietary parts in the Dimension 8100,
I would like to know how proprietary are the parts in current Dell
computers?

Old September 22nd 06, 01:31 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Ben Myers

In the typical Dell P4 Socket 478 or 775 microATX or ATX or BTX tower system,
ONLY the motherboard is proprietary. Even though a Dell P4 motherboard has a
standard form factor, the connectors to the front panel (on-off-LEDs), front
USB, audio, and CPU cooling fan are proprietary. The foregoing is pretty
accurate for the Dell Dimension 2000-series, 4000-series, 8000-series, Optiplex
240/260/270, and Precision 340/350/360. I cannot comment on some of the other
models like the Optiplex 620 and any of the dual-processor capable systems,
because I have not ever had the opportunity to rip any of them apart.

Just like most any other brand name, the small form factor (SFF) Optiplex and
Dimension systems have proprietary power supplies and often used customized
notebook CD/DVD drives to save space... Ben Myers

Old September 22nd 06, 01:35 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Sideshow Bob

Thanks. By their very nature I would expect laptops to be highly
proprietary. The desktops were what I was curious about.

Old September 22nd 06, 04:36 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Ben Myers

Yes, laptops are almost always 150% proprietary. Even more sometimes... Ben

On Thu, 21 Sep 2006 20:35:09 -0400, "Sideshow Bob"
wrote:

Thanks. By their very nature I would expect laptops to be highly
proprietary. The desktops were what I was curious about.

.. .

Old September 26th 06, 03:16 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Clint

That's not entirely true (even discounting the hyperbole). The HD's,
memory, wireless network cards, and processors in many laptops are pretty
standard items now.

Clint

wrote:

Thanks. By their very nature I would expect laptops to be highly
proprietary. The desktops were what I was curious about.

. ..

Old September 27th 06, 01:58 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Ben Myers

Of course! Notebooks could not be built so cheaply otherwise. But almost all
the rest is highly proprietary, even among different models of the same brand.

It would be nice if some extremely knowledgable person identified the CEMs for
the various lines of notebooks. Then it MIGHT be possible to use spare parts
across brand names.

Some day, notebooks will have to become more standardized, just like desktops.

.... Ben Myers

On Tue, 26 Sep 2006 14:16:57 GMT, "Clint" wrote:

That's not entirely true (even discounting the hyperbole). The HD's,
memory, wireless network cards, and processors in many laptops are pretty
standard items now.

Clint

.. .