Flickering screen on an Armada 7790DMT

Old June 26th 06, 11:25 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq

Default Flickering screen on an Armada 7790DMT

I'm having an issue with a flickering screen on an Armada 7790DMT. I
have no idea what happened to it, it was working fine up until
recently. The screen looks ok it just flickers (to black and then
back again) and sometimes several times, then sometimes it won't do it
for awhile, then it'll start again. It's really annoying. If anyone
knows what the problem is, I'm all ears. Thanks.

-GV

Old June 27th 06, 01:14 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq

If the screen flickers when you move the computer or screen just a little bit,
the cause could be a loose connection between the cable from the screen to the
motherboard. I ran into this sort of problem with a Gateway notebook I bought
for cheap from a guy who got tired of the flicker. I took the notebook apart
and ended up fastening the screen cable more securely... Ben Myers

Old June 27th 06, 04:53 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq

On Mon, 26 Jun 2006 20:14:44 -0400, Ben Myers ben_myers_spam_me_not @
charter.net wrote:

If the screen flickers when you move the computer or screen just a little bit,
the cause could be a loose connection between the cable from the screen to the
motherboard. I ran into this sort of problem with a Gateway notebook I bought
for cheap from a guy who got tired of the flicker. I took the notebook apart
and ended up fastening the screen cable more securely... Ben Myers

It's when the unit it completely stationary on my bench. I did take
it apart but I couldn't figure out how to get the monitor cable
unplugged from the system board to re-seat it, and I couldn't find any
take-apart instructions on this unit either.

-GV

Old June 27th 06, 01:47 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq

If the unit is completely stationary on the bench and there are no vibrations at
all, then it's possible something else is failing. What happens if you attach
an external monitor to it?

Yes, neither Compaq nor HP provide readily available information about repair
and disassembly of notebooks or any other computers, for that matter. You're
supposed to go to an "authorized" HP repair center, which pays HP to be
authorized and charges excessively large amounts for repairs. The cost of
repairing an older notebook by an "authorized" repair center would exceed the
value of the unit if in pristine condition. This is just one of the reasons
why I try to steer people away from buying HP computers... Ben Myers

Old June 27th 06, 02:36 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq

If the unit is completely stationary on the bench and there are no vibrations at
all, then it's possible something else is failing. What happens if you attach
an external monitor to it?

Then the external monitor also goes nuts

This all started when I tried linux on this laptop, and it couldn't
get the refresh rate or resolution right. The screen had all these
vertical lines on it, and it was way outta spec. I finally managed to
get it looking right but I think the damage was done. Also the area
where the power supply is runs really hot, but I don't recall if
that's normal for these units or not.

-GV

Old June 27th 06, 03:40 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq

If the notebook does not work right with an external monitor either, it is
likely that a hardware problem has crept into the graphics subsystem.

These systems can run hot, especially if dust and dirt clog the vents used to
take in and push out air to cool the system. It is also possible that the
hardware could have sustained damage from excessive heat. I've seen that
happen before... Ben Myers

Old June 27th 06, 04:45 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq

If the notebook does not work right with an external monitor either, it is
likely that a hardware problem has crept into the graphics subsystem.

These systems can run hot, especially if dust and dirt clog the vents used to
take in and push out air to cool the system. It is also possible that the
hardware could have sustained damage from excessive heat. I've seen that
happen before... Ben Myers

There's only 2 areas to vent on this laptop, the top middle and the
left side (where the internal fan is). The top middle is clear and
the fan is clean, but I've never actually heard the fan in it running.
Wish there was a way to test the fan off the system.

-GV

Old July 5th 06, 09:20 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq
jerome

Ben Myers a écrit:

Yes, neither Compaq nor HP provide readily available information about repair
and disassembly of notebooks or any other computers, for that matter. You're
supposed to go to an "authorized" HP repair center, which pays HP to be
authorized and charges excessively large amounts for repairs. The cost of
repairing an older notebook by an "authorized" repair center would exceed the
value of the unit if in pristine condition. This is just one of the reasons
why I try to steer people away from buying HP computers... Ben Myers

Thats not true for the old compaq laptops like the 7790. You can
download on the hp/compaq website the complete service manual, which
contains step by step instructions for disassembly and repair. By the
way those old compaq are very well built and very easy to repair.

Old July 5th 06, 09:59 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq
Ben Myers

Compaq's old web site was measurably better than HP's. Fortunately, HP did not
destroy the Compaq web site after the acquisition. The Compaq web site was
merely assimilated Borg-like into the depths of the HP web site, making some of
the old Compaq info harder to find. And I do not even want to think of finding
old materials for DEC computers... Ben Myers

Old July 6th 06, 04:06 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq
GlassVial

Thats not true for the old compaq laptops like the 7790. You can
download on the hp/compaq website the complete service manual, which
contains step by step instructions for disassembly and repair. By the
way those old compaq are very well built and very easy to repair.

Got a link, because I couldn't find it. Also my friend seems to think
the problem (probably) lies in the power supply, now the question is
where to get a replacement

-GV