Boot Disk

Old November 9th 05, 05:53 PM
Ben Myers

Default Boot Disk

1. XP may see the SATA drive fine as an add-on, but the procedure to install XP
on the drive is very specific.

2. Check the drive jumpers AND the cable. The system probably has cable-select
type cables, for which the drives are jumpered the same.

3. There is no substantial technical difference between an OEM version of
Windows XP and a retail version, assuming they are at the same service pack
level. The only real difference is the algorithm used to validate the
Certificate of Authentication code. I have cloned hard drives numerous times
with OEM Windows installed. If the original hard drive is free of physical
defects (and sometimes even if not!) and the drive cloning procedure works
correctly, the cloned drive shoudl boot right up when jumpered the same as the
drive it replaces. Of course, the foregoing statement is true if and only if
the drives are the same type, e.g. IDE/ATAPI... Ben Myers

On Tue, 08 Nov 2005 12:15:57 -0500, MaadDog wrote:

Actually, I believe XP sees the SATA drive just fine. I did the
initial format in XP and was able to see it in My Computer. Would
there be any reason that I would get a drive configuration error upon
boot if I used the 120GB IDE drive instead? I did try the IDE drive
and did get the same error. I set the jumper to CS, no go, then
Master, no go. I must be doing something wrong. One of the problems
is the fact that Compaq does not include any disks at all. I was also
wondering if it could be that the Windows XP is the OEM version and
won't allow itself to be duplicated. I did create a DVD recovery disk
set. But I believe that will only get me to factory installed stuff
and not all my other stuff. I really would like to avoid a complete
re-install of everything. That is why I picked up Ghost. But at this
point, the only thing it seems I am allowed to do or use is the factory
installed disk.

SNIP the old stuff
Old November 10th 05, 07:07 PM
MaadDog

Ben, I finally figured out what I was doing wrong. The PC came shipped
with the HD in 2 partitions. The 2nd partition being the Recovery
partition. Once you make the the recovery disks the instructions say
you can delete the recovery partition. I did that and then tried
Norton Ghost again on the SATA drive. The drive booted and got past
the initial Windows XP screen. It was here that things just stopped.
Didn't freeze, just stopped. I said OK, must be the SATA drive. Tried
a 120 GB IDE drive. The exact same thing. Then I said maybe it is
Ghost. So, someone else in another posting I had made said to give
Acronis True image a try. Got that and BINGO! It works. The SATA
drive boots and runs fine. I then used True Image to create a backup
image on one of my extra IDE drives. Thanks for all your help!!!

Kevin

Old November 12th 05, 08:11 AM

Do NOT buy anything from Acronis.
Do NOT install any of their trial software!

Old November 12th 05, 11:26 AM
MaadDog

Why? What is wrong with Acronis?

Boot with scsi disk AM General 3 August 25th 05 01:50 AM
Boot off SATA with ATA disk + other SATA disk present? Asus Motherboards 15 May 27th 05 02:35 PM
Boot off SATA with ATA disk + other SATA disk present? Storage & Hardrives 15 May 27th 05 02:35 PM
Boot off SATA with ATA disk + other SATA disk present? Storage (alternative) 15 May 27th 05 02:35 PM
Disk boot failure insert system disk and press enter Lambo Homebuilt PC's 4 October 14th 04 01:42 AM