Flickering screen on an Armada 7790DMT

Old July 6th 06, 09:46 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq
jerome

Default Flickering screen on an Armada 7790DMT

GlassVial a écrit:
Thats not true for the old compaq laptops like the 7790. You can
download on the hp/compaq website the complete service manual, which
contains step by step instructions for disassembly and repair. By the
way those old compaq are very well built and very easy to repair.

Got a link, because I couldn't find it. Also my friend seems to think
the problem (probably) lies in the power supply, now the question is
where to get a replacement

-GV

he
http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport...ortManual&lang
=en&cc=us&docIndexId=179111&taskId=110&prodTypeId= 321957&prodSeriesId=96229

You can find the power supply on ebay for some bucks, its the same for
the whole Armada 7700/7800 family.

Old July 7th 06, 03:20 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq
GlassVial

he
http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport...ortManual&lang
=en&cc=us&docIndexId=179111&taskId=110&prodTypeId =321957&prodSeriesId=96229

I've already been to that page, none of those documents has exploded
views and tear-apart instructions for the laptop itself, however there
is one for the docking stations. Go figure.

You can find the power supply on ebay for some bucks, its the same for
the whole Armada 7700/7800 family.

Yeah I noticed that already. Looks like they run about $20, was
hoping they'd be cheaper than that in case it doesn't solve the
problem.

-GV

Old July 7th 06, 06:20 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq
jerome

GlassVial a écrit:
he
http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport...ortManual&lang
=en&cc=us&docIndexId=179111&taskId=110&prodTypeI d=321957&prodSeriesId=96229

I've already been to that page, none of those documents has exploded
views and tear-apart instructions for the laptop itself, however there
is one for the docking stations. Go figure.

You are right, it seems they removed it. I can mail it to you if you
want (1.6megs, 8 files)

Old July 8th 06, 02:47 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq
Quaoar

jerome wrote:

Ben Myers a écrit:

Yes, neither Compaq nor HP provide readily available information about
repair
and disassembly of notebooks or any other computers, for that
matter. You're
supposed to go to an "authorized" HP repair center, which pays HP to be
authorized and charges excessively large amounts for repairs. The
cost of
repairing an older notebook by an "authorized" repair center would
exceed the
value of the unit if in pristine condition. This is just one of the
reasons
why I try to steer people away from buying HP computers... Ben Myers

Thats not true for the old compaq laptops like the 7790. You can
download on the hp/compaq website the complete service manual, which
contains step by step instructions for disassembly and repair. By the
way those old compaq are very well built and very easy to repair.

Yes, but... If you want real joy in your heart, try finding out anything
about those millions of Compaq Presario 12XY notebooks from 1997 that
Compaq has conveniently disowned.

Compaq has its pluses - Armadas, and it's minuses - most of the Presario
series.

Old July 8th 06, 03:23 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq
GlassVial

You are right, it seems they removed it. I can mail it to you if you
want (1.6megs, 8 files)

Yes, please.

-GV

Old July 8th 06, 01:04 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq
Ben Myers

Yes, I keep telling people to avoid anything with the label Presario on it. As
far as I am concerned, Presario = cheap in every respect. But there they are.
Presarios flooding the shelves of mass market retailers, so people still buy
them.

I am especially put off by the older beige P3 and Athlon Presarios with the
monstrous front bezels. Just think how many barrels of oil were consumed to
make all the plastic!

And let's not forget the Quantum Bigfoot drives from an earlier Presario era...
Ben Myers

Old July 8th 06, 03:59 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq
GlassVial

Yes, I keep telling people to avoid anything with the label Presario on it. As
far as I am concerned, Presario = cheap in every respect. But there they are.
Presarios flooding the shelves of mass market retailers, so people still buy
them.

I am especially put off by the older beige P3 and Athlon Presarios with the
monstrous front bezels. Just think how many barrels of oil were consumed to
make all the plastic!

And let's not forget the Quantum Bigfoot drives from an earlier Presario era...
Ben Myers

Don't even get me started on thos POS drives...but didn't compaq put
some of those in some deskpro's awhile back also?

-GV

Old July 9th 06, 12:34 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq
Ben Myers

Yep, Bigfoot made it into some DeskPros, too. The Bigfoot simply was not born
right... Ben