How do I get "Administrator Privileges"?

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old January 31st 05, 02:27 AM

Tom Scales wrote:
wrote in message
oups.com...

Noel Paton wrote:
wrote in message
oups.com...
The pc is a Compaq Deskpro EP/SB Series, 350Mhz Pentium 2.

I do have a copy of Windows98(SE), but it is an OEM from a Dell
machine. So that would make it even more difficult to put on the
Compaq.

Thanks.

Darren Harris
Staten Island, New York.

Not only more difficult - but also illegal!

If the computer is mine, and the software(OS) is mine, then it is

*not*
illegal.

Darren Harris
Staten Island, New York.

Uh, yes it is. Read your license agreement. The Dell OEM OS stays

with the
Dell machine and is not transferable

I don't have to. I know enough to know what is enforceable and what
isn't as far as the law is concerned.

Just because Dell's license agreement says something, doesn't make it
illegal.

If you were to buy a new car, and wanted the wheels from your first put
on your new one, would it be illegal just because the old car's
paperwork said the wheels are not to be used on any other vehicle?

It may invalidate the warrantee, but that is a different issue.

***Dell's goal obviously is to inconvenience the consumer who buys
another brand of pc. That is the reason for difficulty in installing
the Dell version of Windows on a Gateway, Compaq, ect. But I've never
had a problem putting the same OS on another one of my Dell PCs.
Darren Harris
Staten Island, New York.