Presario CDS-524

Old November 12th 04, 04:56 AM
Don Kelloway

"Torbjørn Morka" wrote in message

Ehh, what keystrokes for entering BIOS ?

Is it possible for the BIOS to Boot on CD-rom ?
(Or any BIOS-update available ?)

If I remember correctly. Restart the computer and as soon as you see the
square in the corner of the screen, press and hold the F10 key.

As for BIOS updates, probably not from Compaq. Best luck is with a
third-party.

--
Best regards, from Don Kelloway of Commodon Communications
Visit http://www.commodon.com to learn about the "Threats to Your Security

Old November 12th 04, 11:55 AM
HH

When the cursor jumps to the upper right corner of the Compaq Logo screen,
hit F10 (This is in the Compaq FAQ on this newsgroup.)
No, the old all-in-ones will not boot from a CD. That's why the Quickrestore
CD came with a boot floppy diskette.
Aparently HP, in its infinite wisdom, decided to drop all support for those
old units, circa 1995.
HH

"Torbjørn Morka" wrote in message
Don Kelloway wrote:
"HH" wrote in message

Don,
Never was a 524 with a TV Tuner card. There was a 520 CDTV and a 528
CDTV.
HH

"Don Kelloway" wrote in message
thlink.net...

"HH" wrote in message
. ..

Don,
Consumer TechInfo lists the modem as a 14.4, which is what I recall the
500 series having. 9600s came in the 400/600/800 series Presarios.
Video RAM is 512K, non-upgradeable.
HH

"Don Kelloway" wrote in message
thlink.net...

"Torbjørn Morka" wrote in message
news
Don Kelloway wrote:

"Torbjørn Morka" wrote in message
nline.dk...

I am the lucky owner of such antique PC, and i wondered WHERE to
get a manual for it ? NOT what kind of memory etc, but something
showing the motherboard etc...?
Ehh, HP has bought up ALL Compaq i guess ??

Maybe I can help. As a former Tech Support employee of Compaq I
still have my Compaq Service Quick Reference Guide and within are a
few pages on the Presario 500 Family. What is it you would like to
know about the motherboard?

Ehh, what keystrokes for entering BIOS ?

Is it possible for the BIOS to Boot on CD-rom ?
(Or any BIOS-update available ?)

T..

Old November 12th 04, 02:29 PM
Ben Myers

Right. Some bean counter probably came up with a saving of 100MB space on the
HP web site... Ben Myers

Old November 13th 04, 03:16 AM
HH

Exactly. My main reference source is Consumer TechInfo, which used to be on
the web, available to all. HP pulled it a couple of years ago. Luckily I had
it on CD.
HH

Old November 30th 04, 02:02 PM
HighStop

Hey, Alittle by the side

Can anyone tell me if the Presario CDS 524 is build by standar
component (motherboard, screen.....) or if the motherboard is
all-in-one.

Does anyone know what the max resolution is on the screen, if it
driven from another grafiqcard.

I am thinking on getting one and put a new motherboard in it.

Thanks
Ken

--
HighStop
Old November 30th 04, 09:51 PM
HH

All Presario 500 series units are all-in-one designs. They were produced in
1995. The max screen res is 800x600x256 or 1024x768x16. The graphics
controller chip is on the motherboard. It is a Cirrus Logic CL-5434 chip
with 512K of video memory, not upgradeable.
Forget about trying to put a different motherboard in it. It is a 100%
proprietary system.
HH

"HighStop" wrote in message

Hey, Alittle by the side

Can anyone tell me if the Presario CDS 524 is build by standart
component (motherboard, screen.....) or if the motherboard is a
all-in-one.

Does anyone know what the max resolution is on the screen, if its
driven from another grafiqcard.

I am thinking on getting one and put a new motherboard in it.

Thanks
Kent

--
HighStop