need help, desperately, for ignorant pc guy

Old September 15th 04, 03:57 AM
Ben Myers

Right, you are trying to install Windows 2000 on a Pentium 166 system incapable
of booting from a CD-ROM drive. Now I recall.

Okay. The Win 98SE boot disk would accomplish only one useful thing. It would
enable you to see the partitions currently on the hard drive, and to delete
them. But a successful boot load of the Window 2000 Pro setup program would
allow you to do the same thing, so forget messing with Win 98SE.

As far as I can tell, you have exactly two choices:

1. Get yourself or create the three(?) diskette set needed to start up the
Windows 2000 Pro install. This will allow the rest of the Windows 2000 Pro
setup to read the CD-ROM drive.

2. How big is the hard drive on your system? It can't be more than 8.4GB, the
typical BIOS limit for a Pentium-class system. The memory cannot be more than
128MB, the limit imposed by the most popular motherboard chipsets used in
Pentium-class systems, especially Compaq systems. Sooooo....

When you are done, you will have a pretty crippled system running Windows 2000
Pro. Get yourself another computer (!!!) more suitable for running Windows 2000
Pro. Today's minimum would be 450MHz Pentium III (you could scrape by with a
Pentium II or Slot 1 Celeron, but why?), 256MB (expandable upwards), bootable
from a CD, and at least 8GB disk capacity, preferably more.

If you are in the vicinity of Harvard, MA (30 mi west of Boston), drop me and
email or call. I can provide you with such a system, in good operational
condition, and I won't rip you off on costs. If you are somewhere in the east,
shipping costs won't be too outrageous either. Or buy a system on eBay. But
for heaven's sake, don't waste your billable lawyer's hours on a computer
unsuitable for running Windows 2000 Pro to begin with! ... Ben Myers

Ben Myers
Spirit of Performance, Inc.
73 Westcott Road
Harvard, MA 01451
tel: 978-456-3889
fax: 810-963-0412
PayPal, MC, VISA, cold hard cash accepted.

On Tue, 14 Sep 2004 22:10:46 -0400, "dave4hirenow3000"
wrote:

assuming usually makes me out as even dumber...unfortunately in this
situation, steve, and ben also, for that matter, you guys have chosen to
test my jedi initiative. Ben, Im trying to install Win2k Pro on a machine
that had 95 before i formatted the HD..Not sure if 98SE would be the
optimal choice here for the boot disk...nevertheless, I will try it, but
first im going to try the win2k setup disks....think they will work? im
not sure, but steve, you are holding out on me sir, or maybe your fingers
were tired, or maybe you delight in my misery...lol..
There are so many choices on the bootdisk.com site, but i already made
the
dos 6.2 boot and used that....what in the world.
Then I made the Win2k bootdisk, and I was informed that i need the
ntoskernel to continue.
Evidently, I am dumber than i thought, or just spoiled from windows
easiness.....no finesse here fellas.
Is this a bit easier to read? Maybe I should have chosen comp science
rather than law school....although I am good enough on my end...lol.
Thx guys...be back later

Old September 15th 04, 08:39 AM
dave4hirenow3000

Ben, thanks for the tips, but I've got two very new machines of my own that
were quite expensive. The machine I am attempting to load win2k on belongs
to a lady I am helping. I'm a student and broke at that. I doubt my
parents will buy her a new one, although they buy me new cars, computers,
clothes, etc.. Not to boast, although I drive a new BMW, I am broke more
often than not, no doubt directly proportional to my club habits, as are
my grades(not too bad though).....This lady cannot afford the local repair
shop, and having dabbled, I reluctantly volunteered to help (3 months
ago)...my excuses are becoming pitiful.
I was recently released from the hospital after a 5 week stay. Next
week I am sure to be the victim of a horrible robbery which will give me
some more time( again, ) Now I have created and booted with the setup
disks for win2k, of which there were 4....After the 4th one finished
message "could not find the .sif file" (sourcediskfile) and the sp1.cab
file is missing or corrupt... I know this file on my win2k cd is good...on
my machines. What do I do from here?

Next year, I graduate and will buy her a nice laptop with my public
defender salary. lol

Old September 15th 04, 01:05 PM
DEJ57

You know, you've been coming across as a bit of a smart ass all along, and your
last post seems to confirm it. Ben, et al, have done an outstanding job of
offering technical advise, and have appropriately related to you that the best
choice would be not to try to put WIN2000 on the unit you are toying with.
Thank them sincerely for their efforts, and either tell the woman to purchase a
current PC, if she really needs WIN2000, or install WIN95/98 on her current one
and be done with it.

Dale
Old September 15th 04, 04:50 PM
Ben Myers

Well, then, forget Windows 2000 Pro, and install Windows 95 or preferably
Windows 98SE (or maybe Windows NT 4.0??). A 166MHz computer with no more than
128MB and pretty limited hard drive capacity (my guess is no more than 4.3GB) is
EXTREMELY likely to give unsatisfactory performance with Win 2000. Whatever! I
have run out of positive and eminently reasonable suggestions.

.... Ben Myers

Old September 16th 04, 07:29 AM
dave4hirenow3000

Ben, thanks for the help...please forgive me if I came across in the manner
that dale assumes...I didnt mean it that way. The humor is meant to create
smiles, not be condescending(thats talking down on people dale)...I am
only trying to help someone and at the same time have some fun and learn.
Sorry again for my inquiries if they were offensive. I wasn't being
sarcastic because you tried to sell me a computer and do appreciate the
offer for a good deal(as I did relay Dale). The information you supplied
has helped me and I can refer some students to you for purchases. I am
currently looking for a used laptop, for a student in business. Nothing
special, not much cash, and only need ability to maintain and edit Office
2003 software and associated documents. Email
thx

Dale,
Who ****ed in your cheerios today? Do something for mankind instead
policing and issuing warrants on the internet. I have apologized and
offered sincere gratitude(again) as you requested..Do I need to perform
any community service?
Your buddy,
Dave B.