What motherboard in S6900NX?

Old June 4th 04, 03:42 AM
n.heyen

Default What motherboard in S6900NX?

Does anyone know which motherboard is used in this box? And if going from a
single stick of RAM (512) to 2 sticks will boost the performance? Other than
keeping out of swapspace? Running WinXP-Home.

Thanks!

Old June 4th 04, 11:02 AM
HH

Some motherboard info is he
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/d...name=c00061640

As you can see it's an Asus board.

As for the RAM, going to 1GB would only help if you are either opening
multiple large applications or are scanning high resolution photos into the
system. 512MB is ample for most users,
HH

Old June 7th 04, 03:38 AM
n.heyen

Thanks, I'd found that before. I am looking for a more specific details as
to which ASUS board it might be.

And with memory still being so dirt cheap, would going to 2 sticks improve
the speed? Or just make it harder to get into hard drive swap space?

Thanks!
Norman

Old June 7th 04, 05:47 AM
David

Is this it?
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/g...name=c00068769

BTW, just because the MB is a certain make/model does not mean it is
necessarily compatible with the manufacturer's generic BIOS version.
Attempting to flash to the ASUS bios would void your warranty and possibly
render your PC completely inoperable.

The answer to the memory question would depend on what you are using the
computer for..

Old June 7th 04, 11:20 AM
HH

PLS re-read my response. The RAM querry was answered. Do NOT attempt to use
a BIOS update from Asus on your Compaq unless you are willing to risk
turning your PC into a doorstop.
HH

Old June 10th 04, 12:41 AM
n.heyen

I don't want to upgrade the BIOS to the generic supplied by the
manufacturer. OEM boards often have features added, left out or changed.

What I want to do is setup MBM to accurately reflect the temp and fan
sensors, and the setup asks for the MB make and model.

Thanks for the warnings though.

Norman

Old June 10th 04, 01:52 AM
HH

If there is a selection for the SK8N Asus board, try it. Do you see any
hardware monitoring info (CPU temp, Fan speed, etc.) in the BIOS? If not,
the board might not have the necessary sensors.
HH