fan question 1200us notebook

Old May 19th 04, 08:59 AM
me

Default fan question 1200us notebook

have a 1200us notebook that was recently acquired in payment for services.
One of my observations is that the fan didn't seem to start unless I blew on
it or lightly spun the blades with a pen etc. I replaced the fan and the
new one does the same. With the keyboard off so that heat stays near the
processor (800 celeron), the fan would come on. Put it back together etc, it
never comes on unless I spin it to start it. Is this normal for the
Presario notebooks? I am ashamed to say what I paid HP for the new fan.

Also - there is no advanced or integrated devices tab / dropdown in the bios
when I enter through F10. Is there another means of configuring these
devices?

--
Best Wishes - Steve

Old May 19th 04, 11:21 AM
HH

Does the fan activity, or lack of it, seem to affect performance at all?
Like, does the processor seem to step down?
As for the BIOS, the lack of configureability is normal for a Compaq/HP/Dell
unit, especially the notebooks. While this is a mild aggravation for
experienced, read that "cautious," user, it keeps the "let's change this,
this and that and see what happens" user from getting into trouble. However,
some of the newer Compaq desktops seem to have a few more tweaks in the
BIOS, at least my S5200CL does.
I'm not even going to guess on the fan. Spare parts costs from computer
manufacturers are beyond outrageous. $400 for a $100 motherboard is far too
common.
HH

"me" wrote in message ...
have a 1200us notebook that was recently acquired in payment for services.
One of my observations is that the fan didn't seem to start unless I blew

on
it or lightly spun the blades with a pen etc. I replaced the fan and the
new one does the same. With the keyboard off so that heat stays near the
processor (800 celeron), the fan would come on. Put it back together etc,

it
never comes on unless I spin it to start it. Is this normal for the
Presario notebooks? I am ashamed to say what I paid HP for the new fan.

Also - there is no advanced or integrated devices tab / dropdown in the

bios
when I enter through F10. Is there another means of configuring these
devices?

--
Best Wishes - Steve

Protecting network from notebook via firewall Dave Smith General 0 January 13th 05 12:33 AM
Notebook memory question oldgrey General 4 December 29th 04 06:39 AM
Notebook question Sharp Nvidia Videocards 6 November 17th 04 10:02 PM
NoteBook Question Sharp Ati Videocards 1 November 8th 04 08:32 PM
monitor out / video out cable on notebook video out joe smith Matrox Videocards 1 June 21st 04 07:17 PM