Compaq Presiario heat related shut off - its baaaack

Old November 18th 03, 02:04 AM
SSeaW

Actually "BK", if you read my post CORRECTLY, you would have noticed that I
was NOT replying to YOU, but rather "No.6"

I just woke up and didn't catch who the reply was from, I assumed it was
from him.

Shame on you!

"BK" wrote in message
Allow me to translate: "Your screen is just going blank, you don't know

the
difference between that and the computer turing off. Go into power
management and tell it to stop it"

"SSeaW" SSeaW AT comcast DOT net wrote in message
care to retype that?

"No.6" wrote in message
go to into your power management opintion and make sur it never make

sure
never turn off monior

Old November 21st 03, 03:44 AM
BK

Sorry, I'm just frustrated that after spending $1700 a little over a year
ago, its broke and even though I paid for a service contract, but they won't
do anything. I'm going to try to call them back and talk to a supervisor.

Old December 21st 03, 05:22 PM
Jpearl

mine did this same thing until i used a pressurized can of air to blow out
all the vents, etc... apparently the little bit of dust inside was
restricting enough air flow to cause it to overheat and just shut down all
the time... if you do this, make sure the computer is off and completely
cool... and make sure you don't turn the can of air (keep it straight up and
down so you don't blow freezing liquid into the computer).... I hope it
works as well for others as it did for me... I can't get over how quiet my
laptop is now!

"BK" wrote in message
Acutally it sounded like an American guy.

First he had me pull the battery, and unplug the usb hub and network cable
from it.
Next he had me go into the BIOS setup.
Then he said leave it like that for 24 hours, but then corrected himself
when he realized that Tuesday and Wednesday are his days off, so he said

he
would call me back on THURSDAY!

I said "Hold on, that's not going to work". For one thing, it wasnt even
doing anything, so I doubt it would even shutdown. That's when he

suggested
trying it without the battery. So now I have the battery out, no shutdowns
yet, but sure, its not charging the battery and it has a big hole to let

air
in.

"SSeaW" SSeaW AT comcast DOT net wrote in message
By any chance was the tech support you received from India?

"BK" wrote in message
I have a Presario 1500 notebook that gets hot and just turns off. It

seems
to happen after heavy usage for about 15-30 minutes. It did this

before
around 8 months ago. I sent it in to Compaq and they sent it back with

"thermal pad upgrade". I noticed after that the fan ran more, but the
problem was fixed. I was a happy camper.

Now, the problem is back. Its out of warranty, I do have a service

contract
but I called them and they said that they can't do anything unless it

does
it while I'm on the phone. They suggested 2 things 1)leave it in the

bios
setup menu for 24 hours and see what happens, 2)run it without the

battery
out and see if it shutsdown.

Is anybody else still having this problem? Did the Compaq fixes work

for
you? Are there any home remedies, such as re-applying a heak sink?

I know that I will NEVER buy a compaq notebook again.

Thanks,
Brian

Compaq FAQ HH Compaq Computers 0 August 1st 03 09:24 PM
Compaq FAQ HH Compaq Computers 0 July 20th 03 03:09 PM
Compaq FAQ HH Compaq Computers 0 July 10th 03 08:07 PM
Compaq FAQ HH Compaq Computers 3 July 8th 03 05:14 AM
Compaq FAQ Updated HH Compaq Computers 0 June 29th 03 03:58 PM