pin out for compaq presario 4764

Old November 24th 03, 12:08 AM
Kevin Falconer

Default pin out for compaq presario 4764

I'm bound and determined to find out why this NEW power supply from
compaq
does not start up. The cmos battery is a good 3v and has been cleared.
When trying to bench test I applied a 1/2 amp load to a 5v circuit
then
jumpered green wire to ground wire and nothing. I dont think the green
wire is the start up wire. I found that this was the correct color
wire
for an atx board, but my 2 connectors are inline not back to back like
the atx schematic I saw. Even though the power supply was not running
I picked up 12v on the purple wire, I wonder if this is the start up
wire, I hate to
jump it to ground until I'm sure. Thanks in advance for any comments.
Anyplace I can get a compaq pin out schematic ?

Kevin Falconer Fort Myers, FL
Old November 24th 03, 01:16 AM
mike

Kevin Falconer wrote:
I'm bound and determined to find out why this NEW power supply from
compaq
does not start up. The cmos battery is a good 3v and has been cleared.
When trying to bench test I applied a 1/2 amp load to a 5v circuit
then
jumpered green wire to ground wire and nothing. I dont think the green
wire is the start up wire. I found that this was the correct color
wire
for an atx board, but my 2 connectors are inline not back to back like
the atx schematic I saw. Even though the power supply was not running
I picked up 12v on the purple wire, I wonder if this is the start up
wire, I hate to
jump it to ground until I'm sure. Thanks in advance for any comments.
Anyplace I can get a compaq pin out schematic ?

Kevin Falconer Fort Myers, FL

There are probably non-standard pinouts, but if you have a real atx
supply with a real atx connector, grounding the green wire should start
it. If it's an older style AT supply with the standard 2 connectors,
there should be a switch on the power supply to turn it on.

Some
supplies won't start without a load. Put one ohm on the 5V output
and try to start it. Shorted board can prevent it from starting.
mike

laptops and parts Test Equipment
Honda CB-125S
TEK Sampling Sweep Plugin and RM564
Tek 2465 $800, ham radio, 30pS pulser

Old November 24th 03, 11:32 AM
Kevin Childers

Forgive me if you've already tried this, but try disconnecting and then
reconnecting everything. Some times it just may be that simple.

On the less simple side it just may be a bad power supply. It does
happen to the best of them.

KC

om...

Old November 24th 03, 01:00 PM
Kevin Falconer

There are probably non-standard pinouts, but if you have a real atx
supply with a real atx connector, grounding the green wire should start
it. If it's an older style AT supply with the standard 2 connectors,
there should be a switch on the power supply to turn it on.

Thanks Mike, I'm starting to believe this presario is not the "typical"
connector. I'm seeing a lot of reference to a 20 pin connector which this
board has none. I have two connectors lengthwise in a row with 6 terminals
on each connector. Another connector all by itself with 6 wires also
a lengthwise connector. It's possible this power supply is bad, but it is
new. It's hard for me to condemn the MB untill I see this power supply
work out of the computer to verify it is good. Are there any PSU's that DONT
need to be switched on by the MB ?

Kevin Falconer Fort Myers, FL
Old November 24th 03, 01:15 PM
Mike Calkins

Those units also remembered the sleep mode that the unit was in when the AC
power was turned off at the back of the unit (power switch) when re-powered.
Try pressing the sleep button on the front of the unit, after turning on the
unit in the back.

Mike in Houston

Old November 24th 03, 05:11 PM
Kevin Childers

If I understand you correctly, I have seen this type board before. It
is a proprietary version of a form factor AT board. I had an NEC GLobalist
that had a similar sounding set of power cables. P8 & P9 connect side by
side as on any other AT Board. The third power (?P10?) connector must be
connected for the system to work and I suspect was an early attempt to allow
the board to control system power. The bad news about it is that as with
all older proprietary systems, it may be tough to find replacement part, in
this case a power supply.

FYI the 20 pin connector is for a form factor ATX mother board.

Hope this helps.

Old November 25th 03, 12:55 PM
Kevin Falconer

"Kevin Childers" wrote in message ...
If I understand you correctly, I have seen this type board before. It
is a proprietary version of a form factor AT board. I had an NEC GLobalist
that had a similar sounding set of power cables. P8 & P9 connect side by
side as on any other AT Board. The third power (?P10?) connector must be
connected for the system to work and I suspect was an early attempt to allow
the board to control system power. The bad news about it is that as with
all older proprietary systems, it may be tough to find replacement part, in
this case a power supply.

FYI the 20 pin connector is for a form factor ATX mother board.

I'm still not understanding the porprietary vs. reg board, my
PSU does have a toggle switch in back I dont know if this means it
would not use a turn on signal from the board or not. My two inline
connectors
are p1 and p2 and then in the middle of the board is a single
connector p9
which contains the green wire and five others (6 wire single
connector) I'd
be surprised if I did get a bad PSU new from compaq but it is
possible. I
just want to make sure it is bad before I return it or call them. This
system has that sleep mode also and I've played with that also to no
avail.
If I could just get a "do this and it should run" from someone I could
proceed from there but it seems this is not the standard board but if
it is the
green wire that is suppose to start it with a load on a 5v circuit,
I've done this and it does not run. Compaq is hard to get a hold of,
luckily it's not
my main computer so time is on my side with the exception of any limit
have to return this PSU if it is defective. Thanks for any comments !

Kevin

Kevin
Old November 25th 03, 08:28 PM
Kevin Childers

See embedded comments:

KC

"Kevin Falconer" wrote in message
om...
"Kevin Childers" wrote in message

I'm still not understanding the porprietary vs. reg board, my
PSU does have a toggle switch in back I dont know if this means it
would not use a turn on signal from the board or not.

Propreitary boards are uniquelly made boards produced by a single
manufacturer. There is a general ad hoc standard for how boards are
designed based on different form factors. Most boards follow said
standards. occassionally a manufacturer makes a break from the standard
creating a unique board, but it is than often incompatable to most others
machines. Yours appears to fall into that catagory. without the third
power connector it will not work. Most AT type machines only have the two
power connectors, side-by-side with the black wires on each inboard or
beside each other when connected to the mother board.

My two inline connectors
are p1 and p2 and then in the middle of the board is a single
connector p9
which contains the green wire and five others (6 wire single
connector) I'd
be surprised if I did get a bad PSU new from compaq but it is
possible.

If you have the correct PSU and have tried reconnecting it with still
negative results, there are few other possibilities, beyond:
A. Bad PSU
B. Bad Switch
C. Bad Power Cable (110/220 volt)
D. Dead mother/mainboard

I don't recall if this type PSU required you to jump it to get it to
turn on with out a load, or if the fan would simply start when the power was
turned on at the rear toggle switch. Most AT PSU run the fan with/without a
load. Perhaps one of the other members can clarify this.

A call to Compaq may be required, as this is about as much as I can
remember. Unfortunately I sent that system to relatives in the Philipines
so it is not available for reference.