Deskpro EP/SB says my new 80GB disk is only 14GB ?

Old November 6th 03, 10:50 PM
kalev-

Default Deskpro EP/SB says my new 80GB disk is only 14GB ?

Hi all.
Its a PIII 450 MHZ or some such...
Any one know why the BIOS is somhow trying to convince me that the new
Seagate 80GB IDE disk is only 14.5GB ?
The BIOS is from 1999 "686T2" I think it said. Hopeless or..?

jk

--
Every day above ground is a good day
Old November 7th 03, 02:53 AM
Euc1id

I don't remember the exact details, but I had a similar problem with my HP
Pavilion 6545C, 500MHz Celeron, W98se, Phoenix BIOS if I recall correctly,
purchased in 1999. I solved it by buying an IDE adapter card from Maxtor (it
was a Maxtor 80G drive) for about $40-50. The adapter card takes over all of
the hard drive functions of the BIOS (which no longer sees a hard drive).
The only disadvantage of the adapter card was that the hard drive activity
LED would no longer work. I had to scrounge another one and plug into the
adapter card, not easy because nobody sells them -- but you can pilfer one
from an old computer case. Local computer repair shops, or independent small
computer shops, are your best bet there.

There were a couple of other peculiarities. If I recall correctly... The
scandisk and fdisk utilities that came with W98se wouldn't read large hard
drives properly, but M$ provided free downloads of later versions that
worked OK. Don't know if they still do. M$ is getting to be a tightwad these
days.
--
Euc1id

Old November 7th 03, 08:25 AM
kalev-

Euc1id wrote:

[...]

Thanks alot for the suggestion!

jk

--
Every day above ground is a good day
Old November 7th 03, 10:35 AM
abcd

Hi Kalev,
I also recently started using a similar machine and
have not had any trouble in upgrading to an 40 GB
(Seagate) HDD.

I am using 99.08.22 Rev of the same Bios (see below
for more info).

Cheers,
Peter

PS: If anyone knows of an later ver of the Bios, please
post the info here! :-)

Any one know why the BIOS is somhow trying to convince me that the new
Seagate 80GB IDE disk is only 14.5GB ?
The BIOS is from 1999 "686T2" I think it said. Hopeless or..?

jk

SOFTPAQ NUMBER: SP17310
PART NUMBER: 178263-006
FILE NAME: N/A
TITLE: ROMPaq for Deskpro EP/SB Series (686T2 ROM)
VERSION: 99.08.22 Rev
LANGUAGE: US (Global)

CATEGORY: ROMPaqs and System Software

DIVISIONS: Commercial Desktops

PRODUCTS AFFECTED:
Deskpro EP Series: P700, P650, P600, P550, 6500, 6450+, 6450, 6400, 6350
Deskpro SB Series: 6400, 6350

OPERATING SYSTEM:
Microsoft Windows 2000
Microsoft Windows 98
Microsoft Windows 95
Microsoft Windows for Workgroups 3.11
Microsoft Windows 3.1
Microsoft Windows NT 4.0
Microsoft Windows NT 3.51
Microsoft Windows NT 3.1
Microsoft MS-DOS
ROMPaqs and System Software

SYSTEM CONFIGURATION: N/A

PREREQUISITES: N/A

EFFECTIVE DATE: June 26, 2001

ELECTRONIC DISTRIBUTION ALLOWED: Yes

SOFTPAQ UTILITY VERSION: 5.0

SUPERSEDES: SP15776

This SoftPaq creates a ROMPaq firmware diskette that can be used to restore
or upgrade
the System ROM in Deskpro EP Series and SB Series models listed below, with
a 686T2
Family ROM.

The ROM Family and ROM date can be determined by running F10 Setup.

A unique feature of the ROM is one that allows the user to select the
language
used in
F10 Setup. The user may choose between Danish, Dutch, English, Finnish,
French, German,
Italian, Norwegian, Portuguese, Spanish, or Swedish. Please note, however,
that the user
sees the chosen language only in F10 Setup not in the operating system.

This ROM version is compatible for use with Windows 2000.

ENHANCEMENTS/FIXES:
- Correct an issue with determining which Matrox video card is inserted. In
some cases,
the wrong video card was identified, preventing some cards which had a bad
video
option ROM from functioning properly.

HOW TO USE:

1. Obtain a formatted 1.44-MB diskette.

2. Download the SoftPaq to a directory on your hard drive and change to that
directory. The file that is downloaded is an executable with a filename
based
on the SoftPaq Number above.

3. From that drive and directory, execute the downloaded SP17310 file to
unpack
the ROM image files. Follow the on screen instructions and you will be
prompted
to insert a formatted diskette in a drive to create the diskette.

4. After the diskette has been created, you may delete the SoftPaq file
downloaded in step 2.

5. Keeping the newly created diskette in the A: drive, cycle system power to
boot from the ROMPaq diskette.

6. Follow the on-screen instructions to select the 08/22/99 Compaq System
ROM or
the Language Module option and upgrade the firmware.

Copyright 2001, Compaq Computer Corporation. All rights reserved.

Product names mentioned herein may be trademarks and/or registered
trademarks of their respective companies.
-----------------

SOFTPAQ NUMBER: SP10855
PART NUMBER: 166885-405
FILE NAME: N/A
TITLE: ROMPaq for Deskpro EP/SB Series (686T2 ROM)
VERSION: 686T2_070299
LANGUAGE: English

CATEGORY: ROMPaqs

DIVISIONS: Desktops

PRODUCTS AFFECTED: Compaq Deskpro EP and SB Series models 6350, 6400,
6400C,
6450, 6450+, 6500, and P550 with a 686T2 Family ROM
NOTE: Run F10 Setup to determine the ROM Family and ROM date.

OPERATING SYSTEM: N/A

SYSTEM CONFIGURATION: N/A

PREREQUISITES: N/A

EFFECTIVE DATE: July 29, 1999

ELECTRONIC DISTRIBUTION ALLOWED: Yes

SOFTPAQ UTILITY VERSION: 2.X

SUPERSEDES: SP9426

restore or upgrade the System ROM to the 07/02/99 version in Deskpro EP
Series and SB Series models mentioned above, when they have a 686T2 Family
ROM.
The ROM Family and ROM date can be determined by running F10 Setup.

This ROM includes a ROM-based F10 Setup. A Language Module option allows
the user to
select the language used in F10 Setup: Danish, Dutch, English, Finnish,
French, German,
Italian, Norwegian, Portuguese, Spanish, or Swedish.

This ROM version is recommended for use with Windows 98.

Enhancements/Fixes:

- Features new patches for the Pentium II and Pentium III processors.
- Corrects a timing problem when printing on certain high speed printers
that have
small buffers.
- Corrects a potential extended memory conflict with option cards featuring
bridges.
- Corrects a potential slow boot issue with SCO UNIX version 5.0.5.
- Corrects a condition with the Syquest SyJet 1.5GB IDE removable media
device not
being seen properly.
- Corrects a condition where the computer may hang when using the "ON
Command" remote
software.
- Corrects a slow boot issue with the Nanao USB monitor/hub.
- Added an AGP disable on warm boots for some cards that required a reset.

HOW TO USE: [Same as above]

-------

Diagnostics for Windows
version 4.09 A (19 Jul 03)
» revision history
Danish (SP24231.exe - 4.9 MB) Dutch
(SP24231.exe -
4.9 MB) English (US) (SP24231.exe - 4.9 MB)
Finnish
(SP24231.exe - 4.9 MB) French (SP24231.exe - 4.9
MB)
German (SP24231.exe - 4.9 MB) Italian
(SP24231.exe -
4.9 MB) Norwegian (SP24231.exe - 4.9 MB)
Portuguese
(BR) (SP24231.exe - 4.9 MB) Spanish (Latin
America)
(SP24231.exe - 4.9 MB) Swedish (SP24231.exe - 4.9
MB)

This utility displays information about your
computer's
hardware and software configuration, and performs
system
and component tests to ensure your computer is
operating
properly.

Old November 8th 03, 12:26 AM
Euc1id

The cutoff point with the BIOS in my machine mentioned in the other post in
this thread was 60GB. Larger drives weren't recognized correctly, but 60GB
or smaller worked like normal. I suppose BIOS'es differ in that regard. If I
had known that, and had it to do over, I would have got a 60GB rather than
an 80GB drive, then I wouldn't have had to put in an IDE adapter card. Live
& learn... Go into your BIOS and study it carefully before you buy a
bigger hard drive, and it could save a lot of trouble.
--
Euc1id

Old November 8th 03, 12:31 AM
Kevin Childers

Check the drive manufacturers site and see if they have a drive overlay
that will take care of this for you.

KC

ink.net...

Old November 8th 03, 10:20 AM
Herminio2025

I got a problem once installing a 70GB SCSI Hard Drive on Windows 98. Even when
fdisk was able to partition the drive in only one partition, when I was able to
format it, W98 was able to see a hard drive up to about 64 GB. Therefore, it
was only recognizing the difference between the real capacity of the drive and
the (about) 64GB. It was a Western Digital drive, and the way I handled that
problem was downloading a utility program from the Western Digital site that
was able to install the dirve without problems. So, if you are running W98,
that could be your problem. (More info on the Western Digital site).
Old November 12th 03, 02:59 AM
abcd

"Euc1id" wrote in message
ink.net...
The cutoff point with the BIOS in my machine mentioned in the other post

in
this thread was 60GB. Larger drives weren't recognized correctly, but 60GB
or smaller worked like normal. I suppose BIOS'es differ in that regard. If

had known that, and had it to do over, I would have got a 60GB rather than
an 80GB drive, then I wouldn't have had to put in an IDE adapter card.

Live
& learn... Go into your BIOS and study it carefully before you buy a
bigger hard drive, and it could save a lot of trouble.
--
Euc1id

Perhaps you should upgrade your bios!!!
SP17310.EXE ftp://ftp.compaq.com/pub/softpaq/sp1...00/sp17310.exe

626K June 26, 2001

TITLE: ROMPaq for Deskpro EP/SB Series (686T2 ROM)

VERSION: 99.08.22 Rev LANGUAGE: US (Global)

PRODUCTS AFFECTED: Deskpro EP Series: P700, P650, P600, P550, 6500, 6450+,
6450, 6400, 6350 Deskpro SB Series: 6400, 6350

OS: Microsoft Windows 2000 Microsoft Windows 98 Microsoft Windows 95
Microsoft Windows for Workgroups 3.11 Microsoft Windows 3.1 Microsoft
Windows NT 4.0 Microsoft Windows NT 3.51 Microsoft Windows NT 3.1 Microsoft
MS-DOS ROMPaqs and System Software

SUPERSEDES: SP15776

ftp://ftp.compaq.com/pub/softpaq/allfiles.txt

SOFTPAQ NUMBER: SP15776

TITLE: ROMPaq for Deskpro EP/SB Series (686T2 ROM)

VERSION: 686T2_082199

LANGUAGE: English

[...]

Enhancements/Fixes:

****- Enhances reporting of hard drive greater than 64 GB.****

[...]

ftp://ftp.compaq.com/pub/softpaq/sp1...00/SP15776.txt

ftp://ftp.compaq.com/pub/softpaq/

manuals for the deskpro ep series

http://wwss1pro.compaq.com/support/reference_library/viewcompletelist.asp?countrycode=1000&catid=698&fa mid=337&doctypeid=MAN&prodid=83|Deskpro%20EP%20Ser ies

Cheers,