deskpro en upgrading memory will not work

Old September 28th 03, 02:27 AM
David

The new RAM is not compatable , I think you all ready answered your
own question , Buy Compaq genuine on Ebay and stop risking frying your
motherboard for a few dollars

On Sun, 28 Sep 2003 00:56:18 GMT, "jboden"
wrote:

when i have the compaq 64mb in the 1st slot and nothing in 2 or 3 it runs
ok.. if i put the 256mb sdram in the 1st slot it gives me 3 beeps 1 short
and 2 long i think and the number lock light blinks. i got the numbers off
of the good sdram HYB39S64800CT-8 , IT IS A infineon sdram i wonder if it
is ecc..
"Mike Calkins" wrote in message
news
The first key is to verify that the first slot contains Compaq RAM. The
second key is to be sure that the second slot is functional.

Compaq RAM is your 'safest' bet, I'd rate crucial (Micron) a close

second.

Also, what other components have been added to the box after Compaq built
it? Looking for power supply issues.

Mike

"jboden" wrote in message
no it is a compusa 256 sdram, i do have another 256 comming in fro

micron
or
crucial wed..
"Mike Calkins" wrote in message
. ..
Assuming that there is one memory module already there... Put the new

one
(256) where the old one was, and the one you just removed, in the next
slot.
Reboot. If all is well, rejoice!

Is this Compaq branded RAM? if not, what?

Mike
"jboden" wrote in message
i saved F1, and it rebooted and went back to 64 mb and asked me to

save
again F1 then it loaded windows 98 windows says it has only 64 mb
memory...
"David" wrote in message
LOL good catch HH ) , addendum , reboot after saving changes and
error will go away.

On Sat, 27 Sep 2003 20:57:05 GMT, "HH" wrote:

Uh, the 164 Memory size error is normal when you add or remove

memory
from a
PC because the count doesn't match the count stored in CMOS.
HH

"jboden" wrote in message
i am installing a 256 mb 133hz sdram, and i get a error

164-memory
size
error. when i put the 64mb 100hz sdram in it is ok. i have

tried
2
different
sdrams and they both will not work..is the speed the problem or

the
size
and
also do i need to update the bios. thanks for any help...

Old September 28th 03, 03:09 PM
HH

A shot in the dark. Is it possible the DIMM slots will accept nothing larger
than a 128MB DIMM ? Some EN models had a max RAM of 384K and had 3 slots.
HH

"jboden" wrote in message
after i get the error it gives me a message :04000000 10 210-memory error
(the following config options were auto updated.. total memory 65536mb
F1 to save changes...I press f1 and it loades windows in save mode....i

have
seen it tell me a few times total memory is 326000mb or close to it.
"Mike Calkins" wrote in message
. ..
After you get the error, what are you doing?

Mike