In Need Of Some Geeky Techy help!!

Old November 18th 06, 10:52 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati
peteec

Default In Need Of Some Geeky Techy help!!

HI All

i', looking at buying a new video card for Around £100 ish,i've always
prefered ATI over Nvida,so i've been look at either a X1600 Pro,X1600XT
or X1650 Pro
The prob is,that the range's now are confusing,it used to be the higher
the digits (so to speak) the better,so a 9500,is ok,a 9600 as better,and
a 9700 was best,and the digits in between was newer versions,and a pro
had a little tweak to make it go quicker,kinda thing.

the problem is some have faster clocks but slower ram,some have 128 bit
and some 256,some drr2 some ddr3 etc etc

My question is,
Is it better to have more 512 ram thats ddr2 or 256 ddr3?
I'm Pretty sure 256 bit is better than 128 no matter what.
Is more ram running slower better than less ram running faster?
Is a faster clock with slower ram better than a slower clock with
faster ram?

Anyone got any techy ideas?

Can anyone sugguest any cards for around the same price?

Thanks for any info offered

Most Confused!

Pete

--
peteec
Old November 19th 06, 03:49 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati
JLC

"peteec" wrote in message
news

HI All

i', looking at buying a new video card for Around £100 ish,i've always
prefered ATI over Nvida,so i've been look at either a X1600 Pro,X1600XT
or X1650 Pro

What's 100 pounds in US dollar's. Once I know that maybe I can help out. JLC

Old November 19th 06, 03:57 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati
Bill Anderson

JLC wrote:
"peteec" wrote in message
news
HI All

i', looking at buying a new video card for Around £100 ish,i've always
prefered ATI over Nvida,so i've been look at either a X1600 Pro,X1600XT
or X1650 Pro

What's 100 pounds in US dollars? Once I know that, maybe I can help out. JLC

Today it appears to be $189.79

http://tinylink.com/?TOPh5QrrFJ

--
Bill Anderson

I am the Mighty Favog
Old November 19th 06, 04:59 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati
JLC

"Bill Anderson" wrote in message
JLC wrote:
"peteec" wrote in message
news
HI All

i', looking at buying a new video card for Around £100 ish,i've always
prefered ATI over Nvida,so i've been look at either a X1600 Pro,X1600XT
or X1650 Pro

What's 100 pounds in US dollars? Once I know that, maybe I can help out.
JLC

Today it appears to be $189.79

http://tinylink.com/?TOPh5QrrFJ

--

Thanks for that info. So the OP should be able to get a pretty descent card
for that price. http://www.anandtech.com is a good place to start looking at
comparing which card does what. It's very confusing with all of the cards
that are now on the market. But I still just use that same system I've
always used. Set a price (which the OP has) and just get the best card I can
get with that amount. The more a card costs generally means the better it
is. I believe the x1600XT is a better card then the x1650pro. When it comes
to ATI cards XT or XTX means top of the line depending on which version of
cards you're looking at. Also your better deal is to go with a faster card
with 256MB then a slower one with 512. A lot of lower end cards have 512
slapped on them to make it seem like your getting a high end card, but
that's not true. I saved around $100 US going with the x1900XT (256) vs. the
same card but with 512MB of ram. I did my research and it's well worth it to
save the extra money. My card is fast, and I don't need it to run higher
then at 1280x1024. The extra ram helps when you're running at very high
resolutions and want to turn on AA. JLC

Old November 19th 06, 07:09 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati
Frodo

I would say go for the X1650 PRO, the GPU runs at about the same speed at
the X1600 XT
and the X1650 comes with faster 700MHz memory (or officially listed as
1400MHz)

Old November 19th 06, 07:12 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati
Frodo

The X1600XT runs at 590MHz GPU & 690MHz memory.
So the X1650 PRO is just 10MHz faster with the GPU & memory.

.net...

Old November 20th 06, 01:33 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati
peteec

That was pretty much my line of thinking,i sat for hours comparing clock
speeds,memory speeds etc etc,

I think i've made my mind up on this card:
http://tinyurl.com/ve5ew

It seems to do a lot for the money and is coming out just under my
orginal 100 pounds

Anyone got any thought's on relabity and support services with
sapphire?

Thanks for all the previous info

Cheers all!

--
peteec
Old November 20th 06, 03:30 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati
Frodo

Sapphire has actually manufactured card for ATI
Back in July when I was looking to buy an X1600 Pro, Sapphire's 1600 series
were showing a higher return rate then other manufacturers
So I went with HIS brand.
But that was months ago, check newegg's customer's newest feedback.
I just checked newegg, the HIS brands are offering rebates, cards as low $95
(after rebate)

news