Video Card Question

Old August 25th 05, 04:31 AM
Bob & Deb

Default Video Card Question

I was in the market for a new video card. A friend told me to get a Radeon
9800XT if i could afford it. He said that these cards overclock nice. My
search on the net led me to many of these cards but the prices range from
$150 - $600. Anyone know how the same card could have such a broad price
range? If there are different types of 9800XT cards, which one should i get.
I bought Battlefield 2 and my 9200 just isn't cutting it. and i hear that
the card is locked and can't be overclocked.

cheers

RDB

Old August 25th 05, 07:24 AM
Augustus

"Bob & Deb" wrote in message
I was in the market for a new video card. A friend told me to get a Radeon
9800XT if i could afford it. He said that these cards overclock nice. My
search on the net led me to many of these cards but the prices range from
$150 - $600. Anyone know how the same card could have such a broad price
range? If there are different types of 9800XT cards, which one should i
get. I bought Battlefield 2 and my 9200 just isn't cutting it. and i hear
that the card is locked and can't be overclocked.

The 9800XT always was, and still continues to be overpriced. It performs
about 5% better than the 9800 Pro, and the 9800 Pro can almost always be
clocked to 9800XT rates with the stock cooler with no ill effects. Mine has
for over a year of use. A Sapphire 256bit 9800 Pro 128Mb can be had for
around $131US. A 6600GT is about $150. At resolutions over 1024x768, the
6600GT is superior.

Old August 26th 05, 08:31 PM
Marc Hulsebosch

If you will overclock your card, the perfect choice is the 6800LE. I
bought one for €120, which is about less then $130. When you unlock all
the pipelines and get a bit higher clock speeds you have something like
a 6800GT, and for a much lower price.