THANKS!

Old December 5th 06, 05:58 PM posted to comp.sys.mac.advocacy,comp.sys.mac.system,alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
-hh

Default THANKS!

Admin: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell temporarily added.

Notan wrote:

I thought I'd appeal, from one group of professionals to another,
to stop the crossposting.

No offense, but it was quite unprofessional for you to have not made
any effort to pinpoint the problem. At the very least, you should have
made your complaint within the 'offending' thread.

But, as it turns out, y'all seem to have just as many assholes in the Mac
newsgroups as we do in the Dell group.

I'd hoped it wouldn't be so! g

YMMV on if you want to call this a trait of an "asshole", but you could
have simply taken care of the problem on your own, and not even
bothered other groups with "your" problem.

Why? Because the easiest way to get rid of crossposted groups is to
just do it yourself.

How? For sake of illustration, your 'home' newsgroup has been added to
this thread. FYI, this will also help you find this information in the
future, in case you forget. When you look at the headers, you'll see
that the FOLLOWUPS command has also been used, and it is currently set
to trim off the crossposts to the comp.sys* groups.

(If your newsreader can't see this info, get a better newsreader).

Thus configured, anyone who chooses to reply to this message will be
automatically set to post to just the newsgroups set in the Followup.
Simple.

Thus, how you can solve the problem on your own. No whining required.

And its all done without being an "asshole" who desparages the rudeness
of innocent bystanders of other newsgroups.

Cheers,

-hh

Old December 5th 06, 06:12 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Notan

Notan wrote:

I thought I'd appeal, from one group of professionals to another,
to stop the crossposting.

No offense, but it was quite unprofessional for you to have not made
any effort to pinpoint the problem. At the very least, you should have
made your complaint within the 'offending' thread.

I did!

[...]

There are STILL numerous posters that have refused, either consciously or
simply by oversight, to remove the crossposted group.

I can't control what others do. All I can do is ask.

Thanks!

Notan
Old December 5th 06, 08:08 PM posted to comp.sys.mac.advocacy,alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
-hh

Notan wrote:
-hh wrote:

No offense, but it was quite unprofessional for you to have not made
any effort to pinpoint the problem. At the very least, you should have
made your complaint within the 'offending' thread.

I DID!

Yes, but you *whoosed* on my point: you can't assume that anyone
outside of the 'offending' thread have read said thread. Sorry if this
was too subtle for you to catch; it was alluding to how you're
complaining to the wrong audience when painting an entire group with
your overly broad brush.

There are STILL numerous posters that have refused, either consciously or
simply by oversight, to remove the crossposted group.

Probably 95% of the time, it is mere laziness. If it really bothers
you that much, you can make it a point to reply to every subthread as
it spawns, to chop out the 'bad' groups. Even then, you'll invariably
have "obstinate individuals" who will manually override your Follow-up
settings no matter what they are, such as you did with your reply that
I'm quoting.

I can't control what others do. All I can do is ask.

Actually, you can control others through manipulation, but this usually
takes more effort than the offending person is worth, particularly
since the invention of killfiles. Overall, it is more sane to ignore
the thread - afterall, nowhere is it written that all groupmembers are
obligated to read all threads.

-hh

Old December 5th 06, 08:31 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Notan

-hh wrote:

Notan wrote:
-hh wrote:

[...]

Sorry it got THIS blown out of proportion.

It was intended as a polite "Don't show me yours and I won't show you mine." g

Obviously, it didn't succeed.

Take care.

Notan
Old December 6th 06, 02:08 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
NuTCrAcKeR

"Notan" wrote in message
-hh wrote:

Notan wrote:
-hh wrote:

[...]

what did you expect from those pompous, self-important MAC types?