New Build

Old December 17th 20, 08:30 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Larc[_3_]

Default New Build

On Thu, 17 Dec 2020 13:26:25 -0500, "SC Tom" wrote:

| I decided to give an SSD a chance on my current PC (I haven't bought the
| components yet for my "wish" PC). I can't get an NVMe since my current MB
| doesn't have an M.2 slot for it. I ordered a 1GB Samsung 860 EVO. Has good
| reviews, and is plenty big enough to hold everything that's on my HDD.
| I own Acronis True Image- I should be able to clone from one to the other
| with that. Worse comes to worst, I'll just create an image of my HDD, remove
| it, put the SSD in, and restore that image to it. Been there, done that with
| HDD's; can't imagine it being too different with SSD's.
| I also have older free versions of Macrium Reflect and MTPW; I guess I could
| download the newest and make bootable CD/DVD from them (that's how I used my
| old versions, and my newer ATI).

NVMe SSD is much faster than SATA SSD. Samsung 970 EVO Plus sequential read/write
speeds are up to 3500/3300 MBs per second compared to 550/520 MBs for the Samsung 860
EVO.

I haven't had any luck using an image file to transfer a system drive from HDD to
SATA SSD or from SATA SSD to NVMe SSD. Since they are different types of drives,
they seem to need the clone option to deal with those differences.

| Thanks again for your input!

You're most welcome.

Larc
Old December 18th 20, 12:22 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
SC Tom

"Larc" wrote in message
On Thu, 17 Dec 2020 13:26:25 -0500, "SC Tom" wrote:

| I decided to give an SSD a chance on my current PC (I haven't bought the
| components yet for my "wish" PC). I can't get an NVMe since my current
MB
| doesn't have an M.2 slot for it. I ordered a 1GB Samsung 860 EVO. Has
good
| reviews, and is plenty big enough to hold everything that's on my HDD.
| I own Acronis True Image- I should be able to clone from one to the
other
| with that. Worse comes to worst, I'll just create an image of my HDD,
remove
| it, put the SSD in, and restore that image to it. Been there, done that
with
| HDD's; can't imagine it being too different with SSD's.
| I also have older free versions of Macrium Reflect and MTPW; I guess I
could
| download the newest and make bootable CD/DVD from them (that's how I
used my
| old versions, and my newer ATI).

NVMe SSD is much faster than SATA SSD. Samsung 970 EVO Plus sequential
read/write
speeds are up to 3500/3300 MBs per second compared to 550/520 MBs for the
Samsung 860
EVO.

I haven't had any luck using an image file to transfer a system drive from
HDD to
SATA SSD or from SATA SSD to NVMe SSD. Since they are different types of
drives,
they seem to need the clone option to deal with those differences.

| Thanks again for your input!

You're most welcome.

Larc

There's a new (to me) option in the latest version of Partition Wizard that
looks like the option to go with. It's "How to Migrate OS to SSD/HD".
https://www.partitionwizard.com/help/migrate-os-to-ssd-hd.html#how-to-migrate-os-to-ssd/hd-7

Looks like it'll do everything I want in a couple of easy steps (and of
course, the copy time). The SSD is supposed to arrive tomorrow, so I can go
ahead and swap it over Sunday and see how it compares.

If I can get 550/520 MB/s R/W times out of the 860, that's still ~3x faster
than the 165/153 MB/s I currently get with my HDD. If it's still not as fast
as I'd like (but then again, what PC would EVER be as fast as we'd like,
LOL), then I can go ahead and get the new system and add an NVMe to the
list. Then I'll take the SSD and put it in my laptop; it's got 2 drive
slots, so migrating the OS should work easily enough there, too, if the
option works as advertised on my desktop.

Thanks,
SCTom

Old December 18th 20, 01:47 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Larc[_3_]

On Fri, 18 Dec 2020 07:22:10 -0500, "SC Tom" wrote:

| There's a new (to me) option in the latest version of Partition Wizard that
| looks like the option to go with. It's "How to Migrate OS to SSD/HD".
| https://www.partitionwizard.com/help/migrate-os-to-ssd-hd.html#how-to-migrate-os-to-ssd/hd-7
|
| Looks like it'll do everything I want in a couple of easy steps (and of
| course, the copy time). The SSD is supposed to arrive tomorrow, so I can go
| ahead and swap it over Sunday and see how it compares.
|
| If I can get 550/520 MB/s R/W times out of the 860, that's still ~3x faster
| than the 165/153 MB/s I currently get with my HDD. If it's still not as fast
| as I'd like (but then again, what PC would EVER be as fast as we'd like,
| LOL), then I can go ahead and get the new system and add an NVMe to the
| list. Then I'll take the SSD and put it in my laptop; it's got 2 drive
| slots, so migrating the OS should work easily enough there, too, if the
| option works as advertised on my desktop.

Sounds like a great plan. Good luck with everything.

Larc
Old December 18th 20, 04:07 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Bill[_41_]

Paul wrote:
Bill wrote:

Of
course, somehow MS made changes to Windows 10 which prevented me from
using the (nice) "trim" application that came with the Intel drive,
but I don't blame Intel for that.

Are you referring to the inability of the Optimize (defragment)
panel to tell an SSD is an SSD ? If it knows an SSD is present,
it puts up TRIM for the item.

No Paul, It was related to the last Windows Update--which at the same
time caused Virtual Box to run much slower. Someone gave me guidance
at alt.comp.os.windows-10 to get Virtual Box running faster again (the
solution involved turning on hyper-V and the hyper-something platform
(on Windows-10 PRO). The details seem to involve which drivers Windows
ends up using (the system defaulted to the new Windows-10 drivers, and
no longer using those provided by Intel). I assume that this is related
to the Intel Trim Application no longer working, since the events
happened at the same time.

Bill
Old December 18th 20, 05:50 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Paul[_28_]

Bill wrote:
Paul wrote:
Bill wrote:

[...]

I don't see how the driver would be different. The one next to the hardware.

https://us.informatiweb.net/tutorial...same-time.html

Paravirtualization is something the Guest sees inside the virtual machine.
The difference is, the regular storage path means going through
VirtualBox code. Maybe 20MB/sec on a good day.

When paravirtualization is used, you make connections to the hardware
without VirtualBox intercepting the calls.

If you run HDTune in a paravirtualized VM, you'll get 600MB/sec
in the graph, but the rate is quite jagged. The transfer rate
goes all over the place.

I tested this in Linux VirtualBox, with Linux OSes involved,
and paravirtualization support has been there for some time.

And that is previously, what the difference was between the
two environments. You could get more I/O speed on the Linux Guest
on Linux Host case, than other combinations.

I've not tested your combination, because I have almost always
kept Hyper-V uninstalled. Since I only have one machine with
SLAT, if that hardware were to fail, I could not as easily
transfer the setup to another machine. Buying computers today,
almost all of them will have EPT/SLAT, but that wasn't always
the case. Intel no longer uses that feature as a marketing
gimmick, now that Microsoft has latched onto it.

This is the available diagram for Hyper-V, but it does not
incorporate what VirtualBox and a Guest would look like, added
to the picture. I presume the driver calls travel through the VMBus.
And regular drivers are on the left-most root partition.

https://web.archive.org/web/20121024...g/IC194739.gif

Paul
Old December 18th 20, 06:03 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Bill[_41_]

Paul wrote:

This is the available diagram for Hyper-V, but it does not
incorporate what VirtualBox and a Guest would look like, added
to the picture. I presume the driver calls travel through the VMBus.
And regular drivers are on the left-most root partition.

https://web.archive.org/web/20121024...g/IC194739.gif

Â*Â* Paul

Thank you very much, Paul, for your efforts to educate!

Old December 19th 20, 11:58 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
SC Tom

"Larc" wrote in message
On Fri, 18 Dec 2020 07:22:10 -0500, "SC Tom" wrote:

| There's a new (to me) option in the latest version of Partition Wizard
that
| looks like the option to go with. It's "How to Migrate OS to SSD/HD".

https://www.partitionwizard.com/help/migrate-os-to-ssd-hd.html#how-to-migrate-os-to-ssd/hd-7

| Looks like it'll do everything I want in a couple of easy steps (and of
| course, the copy time). The SSD is supposed to arrive tomorrow, so I can
go
| ahead and swap it over Sunday and see how it compares.
|
| If I can get 550/520 MB/s R/W times out of the 860, that's still ~3x
faster
| than the 165/153 MB/s I currently get with my HDD. If it's still not as
fast
| as I'd like (but then again, what PC would EVER be as fast as we'd like,
| LOL), then I can go ahead and get the new system and add an NVMe to the
| list. Then I'll take the SSD and put it in my laptop; it's got 2 drive
| slots, so migrating the OS should work easily enough there, too, if the
| option works as advertised on my desktop.

Sounds like a great plan. Good luck with everything.

Thanks! I'll post my results when I'm through :-)

Old December 20th 20, 03:52 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
SC Tom

Default New Build - Followup

"SC Tom" wrote in message ...
snip

As suggested by Bill and Larc, I got an SSD (Samsung 860 EVO 1GB) and
replaced my system HDD with it yesterday afternoon. I must admit, the boot
time is pretty impressive, although that's never been a problem for me- I
turn it on, make coffee, and it's all finished booting before I get back to
it. Now, it's almost through booting up before I can get my robe on and
leave the room :-)

Transferring my OS over to the SSD proved to be a little more difficult than
I originally thought. I installed the latest free version of MiniTool
Partition Wizard and saw the "Migrate OS to SSD/HD Wizard" and figured that
would be pretty cool. But when I went to use it, I was informed that it was
only available in the paid (subscription) version. So I forked over the
US$59 and DL'd and installed it. Hooked up my SSD, started the transfer, and
after ~3.5 hours, it was done. Shut down the PC, disconnected my C: HDD,
plugged in the SSD, turned it on, and it booted right up, no problem . . .
until about 3 minutes in. Suddenly, the dreaded BSOD popped up with a
"Attempted switch from DPC" error. OK, what the hell is this? Did a search
from my laptop and found out it could be most anything from a driver issue
to an antivirus issue. Rebooted and have had no issue since (knock on wood).

The system seems to more responsive now than before. My video editor is
quicker and smoother, so that's a definite plus. The games that I have that
are high-def and huge start up quicker, and the game play is much more
responsive and smoother. So, all in all, I would that installing an SSD is a
definite plus and improvement over my HDD.

side note- I registered my SSD and looked at the Download section and didn't
see much of anything other than Samsung Magician, which seems to be mainly a
maintenance and information app. But, searching later on through Google, I
found out that Samsung has a System Migration app. Of course, that was after
I had already bought Partition Wizard. Could have accomplished the same
results for free if I hadn't been in such a hurry :-(

Thanks for everyone's input. I'll put off buying the new components until I
get tired of this set up :-)
--

SC Tom

Old December 20th 20, 05:05 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Paul[_28_]

SC Tom wrote:

"SC Tom" wrote in message ...
[...]

If the drive was staying in the same machine, you probably
wanted a "Clone" function rather than a "Migrate".

It's possible the intention of the "Migrate", is drive comes
from Old_Machine, over to New_Machine, and then the OS and
programs are shifted over. I wouldn't think Windows 10 would
need that kind of attention, but maybe WinXP might. There
might be different hardware drivers on the new WinXP machine,
that have to be added to the image before it will boot.
I mean, we have to come up with some excuse why such a
transfer takes 3.5 hours, right ?

If you use one of the free programs to "Clone" a drive,
the only change it needs to make is change the GUID of
the partitions so that the new drive won't go "Offline"
when in the same PC as the old drive and the booting
won't get inter-tangled. The identifiers need to be
changed enough, so that doesn't happen. But the file content,
is likely exactly the same in that case. I clone drives all
the time here, but for usage in the same PC. Maybe a
HDD version of Win10, transferred to an SSD and used in the
same PC. Cloning is good enough for that.

Paul
Old December 20th 20, 07:22 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
SC Tom

"Paul" wrote in message
SC Tom wrote:

"SC Tom" wrote in message ...
[...]

:-(

[...]

It was all done on the same machine, but I had the SSD plugged into an
eternal USB dock. That's probably why it took so long :-(

I couldn't get the cloning part of it to realize that I was going from a 2TB
HDD to a 1TB SSD (forgive me, I think I put "GB" on everything I already
posted), even though there was only 227GB used. I tried it with ATI (which I
own), free Macrium Reflect, and PartWiz. None of them would get past the
"not enough room" error, even when I instructed it to "fit to size."

The options on the "Migrate" option are "I would like to replace my system
disk with another hard disk" or "I would like to move my operating system to
another disk, and keep the original hard disk in my computer." Since I was
taking the HDD out, I chose the first option.

Thanks,
--

SC Tom

Which SFF PC to build? NickD Homebuilt PC's 2 October 25th 06 08:16 PM
SWsoft Acronis Disk Director Suite 9.0 Build 508, Acronis OS Selector 8.0 Build 917, Acronis Partition Expert 2003 Build 292, Acronis Power Utilities 2004 Build 502, F-SECURE.ANTI vIRUS.PROXY v1.10.17.WINALL, F-SECURE.ANTI vIRUS v5.50.10260 for CITRI vvcd Storage (alternative) 3 December 4th 05 11:46 AM
First build Kaz Homebuilt PC's 10 February 6th 04 01:17 PM
Buy a PC or build? Michael Homebuilt PC's 10 January 9th 04 12:41 PM
About to build new PC SteveH Homebuilt PC's 2 September 9th 03 11:00 PM