out of range - can't get in to safe mode

Old September 24th 11, 05:42 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
123Jim

Default out of range - can't get in to safe mode

Windows 7 home premium 32 bit
Display adapter: ATI Radeon HD 4550

I've connected my usual CRT monitor in order to fix a few problems on
this computer but I can't access safe mode as I get the message

'Out of range - H: 75.0K V: 59.9'

75.0K is flashing in red
59.9 is blue.

This computer would normally be connected to a large LCD screen.

It seems like the graphics adapter is refusing to run in the correct
mode to run safe mode with this monitor .. It has the most up to date
drivers.

I've fixed most of the problems on this computer but I just want to get
into safe mode to run system restore (it didn't work in normal mode)

any ideas?
Old September 24th 11, 07:41 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Grinder

On 9/23/2011 11:42 PM, 123Jim wrote:
Windows 7 home premium 32 bit
Display adapter: ATI Radeon HD 4550

I've connected my usual CRT monitor in order to fix a few problems on
this computer but I can't access safe mode as I get the message

'Out of range - H: 75.0K V: 59.9'

75.0K is flashing in red
59.9 is blue.

This computer would normally be connected to a large LCD screen.

It seems like the graphics adapter is refusing to run in the correct
mode to run safe mode with this monitor .. It has the most up to date
drivers.

I've fixed most of the problems on this computer but I just want to get
into safe mode to run system restore (it didn't work in normal mode)

any ideas?

F8 for the boot menu, and start up in VGA mode. From there, you should
be able to set a video mode that works with your monitor.

Old September 24th 11, 08:25 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
123Jim

On 24/09/2011 07:41, Grinder wrote:
[...]

Unfortunately there does not appear to be a VGA mode in the boot options
through F8 in windows 7 ..

F8 options in Vista (and windows 7)
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/w...ding-safe-mode

Repair your computer
Safe mode
Safe mode with networking
Safe mode with command prompt
Enable boot logging
Enable low resolution video (640 × 480)
Last Known Good Configuration (advanced)
Directory services restore mode
Debugging mode
Disable automatic restart on system failure
Disable Driver Signature Enforcement
Start Windows normally
Old September 24th 11, 08:52 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Ian D[_3_]

"123Jim" wrote in message
[...]

VGA mode = 640 x 480. Try that option.

Old September 24th 11, 09:16 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Ian D[_3_]

"Ian D" wrote in message

"123Jim" wrote in message
[...]

I forgot to mention that this is not safe mode. It's a
fully operational mode with all drivers and services
running, but at a much reduced resolution. Also,
it will probably mess up your desktop it will attempt
to fit all icons into the 640 x 480 window.

Old September 24th 11, 09:41 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
123Jim

On 24/09/2011 20:52, Ian D wrote:

"123Jim" wrote in message
[...]

Right, thanks, but that boots to normal mode not safe mode ....
I've even removed the graphics card and tried using the graphics
integrated into the motherboard .. but with the same results ..
Old September 24th 11, 10:31 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
philo[_6_]

On 09/24/2011 03:41 PM, 123Jim wrote:
On 24/09/2011 20:52, Ian D wrote:

"123Jim" wrote in message
[...]

Why beat a dead horse
just connect your large screen monitor that you know works with your
video resolution
Old September 24th 11, 10:55 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
123Jim

On 24/09/2011 20:52, Ian D wrote:

"123Jim" wrote in message
[...]

Sorry I missed out the crucial info that I don't have access here to a
large screen monitor .. I only took away the system box from the owner
in order to carry out some repairs, but now I want safe mode I seem to
be scuppered ..

Old September 25th 11, 12:18 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Paul

On 24/09/2011 20:52, Ian D wrote:

"123Jim" wrote in message
[...]

I can think of solutions - they just aren't good solutions.

1) Remote into box. In my experiments, this didn't work in Safe Mode.
Maybe you can figure out a way to do that. My laptop told me to take
a flying leap, when I tried to prepare an "invitation" while booted
in Safe Mode. It said whatever service it needed, wasn't running.

2) Delete registry keys that set resolution. Since you've tested a different
graphics interface and seen similar fail results, I don't hold much hope for this.
(There is an example here, involving "BitsPerPel" and friends, but when I
checked my laptop, there were a whole pile of those.) Perhaps you could do
some off-line editing of the existing registry file in question, and
make those changes ? Apparently, you can take a registry file to another
machine and work on it. I've never succeeded in doing that.

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/...-2d17f186a8d2/

Registry keys could also be mass-removed, by installing an empty set
of registry files. These would be the files created when the system was
first installed, and would not have any user preferences in them. But
a side effect of using such a file, is it disables System Restore.

In this example, they copy a set of registry files, out of a Restore Point
folder manually. That would be the equivalent of using a Restore Point,
only not restoring the entire machine state. Just using a registry set
from a few days previous. This is for WinXP, and I don't know if they prepared
similar instructions for Windows 7 or not. You would be doing "Part Two"
and "Part Three", copy and rename some registry files, then move them to the
working folder. In the process of doing this, you may discover the machine
has no Restore Points in the first place. I discovered to my shock, the first
time I looked, that the disk space assigned for Windows 7 System Restore was
too small, and the single Restore Point directory was essentially empty and
useless.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307545

And really, at this point, can we be sure the out-of-range is the result
of previously recorded info, or a problem with reading EDID on the current
monitor and doing something stupid with the information ? You could go to a
lot of trouble to change the registry, only to find no difference in symptoms.

You can override EDID, by using a little "EDID memory box" which can be set
up to make a copy of EDID from some other, working monitor. That is useful
for cases, where the display device has no EDID (like a wall projector).
It won't help if the OS is quite insistent it won't pay attention to
the EDID - I have a monitor here that doesn't "Plug and Play" worth a
damn, and there's got to be something about the EDID contents it doesn't
like. The EDID looks fine in Moninfo program.

Programs like Powerstrip and Moninfo, make it possible to work on
display problems, but again, I don't see a way given your restricted
environment, of getting any value from these. Powerstrip is available
for an evaluation period, which might be enough in some cases to
get some work done on a system.

http://www.entechtaiwan.com/util/ps.shtm

http://www.entechtaiwan.com/util/moninfo.shtm

There have been cases, where the EDID chip on the monitor is writable,
and the EDID gets overwritten and needs some TLC to set it right again.
That's a whole other topic.

I'm just surprised there isn't a magic key combo to "force" the
graphics system into using sensible settings that all monitors support.
And 640x480 should do that. On my laptop, alt-F5 allows me to step
through some multi-monitor configurations, but I don't know if any of
those would suit the "force to 640" thing or not. And my desktop
doesn't seem to support that. F5 does nothing on the desktop machine.

Paul
Old September 25th 11, 12:32 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
John McGaw

On 9/24/2011 12:42 AM, 123Jim wrote:
Windows 7 home premium 32 bit
Display adapter: ATI Radeon HD 4550

I've connected my usual CRT monitor in order to fix a few problems on this
computer but I can't access safe mode as I get the message

'Out of range - H: 75.0K V: 59.9'

75.0K is flashing in red
59.9 is blue.

This computer would normally be connected to a large LCD screen.

It seems like the graphics adapter is refusing to run in the correct mode
to run safe mode with this monitor .. It has the most up to date drivers.

I've fixed most of the problems on this computer but I just want to get
into safe mode to run system restore (it didn't work in normal mode)

any ideas?

If all else fails, use the MB manufacturer's approved procedure to clear CMOS

So what is it about Safe Mode... Nick4000 Asus Motherboards 5 November 8th 06 07:38 AM
safe mode Ned Protter Compaq Computers 4 November 20th 04 10:40 PM
Safe temp range for OC'ing 2600+ Barton? David Simmons Overclocking AMD Processors 5 October 8th 04 10:06 PM
out of range error in safe mode only Bruce A. Evans Ati Videocards 2 September 1st 04 05:11 PM
safe mode! leza Homebuilt PC's 1 July 17th 03 05:05 AM