Expro universal power adapter doesn't do 18.5V

Old September 15th 10, 02:37 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware,alt.engineering.electrical
123Jim

Default Expro universal power adapter doesn't do 18.5V

Hi all,
My second laptop power cable began to get flaky .. intermittently failing to
power/charge the laptop/battery.
I decided to get a replacement for it in the shape of an 'Expro Universal
Laptop AC Adapter'

My previous power brick is rated at 18.5V for 3.5A .. but this universal
power brick only does voltages in whole numbers: 12V, 15V, 16V 18V, 19V @
4.5A and 20V, 24V @ 3.75 Amps.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B...ef=oss_product
Although .. it says: "covers between volatages also" on the above linked
page...

Which voltage should I choose, 18V or 19V?
What might be the problem for the Laptop since I can't choose 18.5V?
It seems to be working fine on 18V at the moment in initial testing.

Old September 15th 10, 06:12 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware,alt.engineering.electrical
I AM PROTEUS

On Sep 15, 9:37*am, "123Jim" wrote:
Hi all,
My second laptop power cable began to get flaky .. intermittently failing to
power/charge the laptop/battery.
I decided to get a replacement for it in the shape of an 'Expro Universal
Laptop AC Adapter'

My previous power brick is rated at 18.5V for 3.5A .. but this universal
power brick only does voltages in whole numbers: 12V, 15V, 16V 18V, 19V @
4.5A *and 20V, 24V @ 3.75 Amps.http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B...ef=oss_product
Although .. it says: "covers between volatages also" on the above linked
page...

Which voltage should I choose, 18V or 19V?
What might be the problem for the Laptop since I can't choose 18.5V?
It seems to be working fine on 18V at the moment in initial testing.

I DO NOT SEE A PROBLEM

I AM PROTEUS
Old September 15th 10, 06:50 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware,alt.engineering.electrical
Salmon Egg

In article ,
"123Jim" wrote:

Hi all,
My second laptop power cable began to get flaky .. intermittently failing to
power/charge the laptop/battery.
I decided to get a replacement for it in the shape of an 'Expro Universal
Laptop AC Adapter'

My previous power brick is rated at 18.5V for 3.5A .. but this universal
power brick only does voltages in whole numbers: 12V, 15V, 16V 18V, 19V @
4.5A and 20V, 24V @ 3.75 Amps.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B...ef=oss_product
Although .. it says: "covers between volatages also" on the above linked
page...

Which voltage should I choose, 18V or 19V?
What might be the problem for the Laptop since I can't choose 18.5V?
It seems to be working fine on 18V at the moment in initial testing.

I am not familiar with this brick. Almost all of them put out voltages
greater than indicated. Most items don'e care. Only if you need
filtered output would that even be a possibility. When charging
batteries you need excess voltage anyway.

If you can, look at the output with a scope.It is likely to be merely
rectified ac. Only during the peaks will current flow to charge the
battery. I would just use the 18V setting.

If you burn your stuff up, I said nothing. This advice is worth less
than you paid for it.

Bill

--
An old man would be better off never having been born.
Old September 15th 10, 08:12 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware,alt.engineering.electrical
Paul

123Jim wrote:
Hi all,
My second laptop power cable began to get flaky .. intermittently failing to
power/charge the laptop/battery.
I decided to get a replacement for it in the shape of an 'Expro Universal
Laptop AC Adapter'

My previous power brick is rated at 18.5V for 3.5A .. but this universal
power brick only does voltages in whole numbers: 12V, 15V, 16V 18V, 19V @
4.5A and 20V, 24V @ 3.75 Amps.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B...ef=oss_product
Although .. it says: "covers between volatages also" on the above linked
page...

Which voltage should I choose, 18V or 19V?
What might be the problem for the Laptop since I can't choose 18.5V?
It seems to be working fine on 18V at the moment in initial testing.

Based purely on user experience (try and find a spec), laptops
*are* sensitive to the voltage delivered by the adapter. One
person had a failure after 30 days of using a "universal" adapter,
so some care must be used. If you feel more heat, coming from the
laptop power management area, that would be a sign you're feeding
it too much voltage. Or, if too little voltage, you might find the
battery never has a full charge on it.

If all systems are functional at 18V, and you're getting a full charge
on the battery, no further experiments are necessary. The allowed range
is down around +/- 1V or so, so you should do your level best, to match
the original spec if possible. The difference between 18.5 and 18.0 is
likely fine.

As one other poster indicated, verifying the voltage is a good idea,
since the new adapter will have a tolerance on the stated numbers,
and a setting of 18.0, may not be delivering 18.0 after all.

If you want to verify the voltage, that'll be harder to arrange. An
auto mechanic, would probably use sewing needles clamped to multimeter
probes, as a way to pierce the insulation on the wires and take a
reading. An engineer would likely prefer to use an adapter cable,
with perhaps a male and female barrel connector, so you'd get a
voltage sample safely. If the meter probes short together, while
you're taking your voltage reading, that could damage something.
(The adapter probably has overcurrent protection, but you never know.)

As far as I know, the laptop adapters are switching power supplies,
as a transformer/bridge rectifier/cap solution would be too heavy for
portable usage. Switching power supplies are much lighter by
comparison. A switching supply will deliver pure DC, and a
garden variety multimeter set to DC volts, is all you need
to check the output. There are two possible measurements
you can make - open circuit voltage from the adapter, or
check the voltage while the adapter is in usage.

The adapter regulates to the voltage "it can see" - if the adapter
had remote sensing (two sense wires that snake down to the load end),
it can compensate for the voltage drop in the cable under load. (ATX
power supplies use that method, but only typically on the 3.3V rail.)
If the adapter only checks the voltage as created inside the adapter,
then the adapter will have poor load regulation, and you'd see some
variation (no load vs full load), down at the connector end. The
voltage drop in the cable, gets subtracted from the regulated
voltage inside the adapter.

If you don't want to even think about the multimeter thing, no problem,
just continue to use the 18.0 setting.

Paul
Old September 15th 10, 09:05 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware,alt.engineering.electrical
Baron[_3_]

123Jim Inscribed thus:

Hi all,
My second laptop power cable began to get flaky .. intermittently
failing to power/charge the laptop/battery.
I decided to get a replacement for it in the shape of an 'Expro
Universal Laptop AC Adapter'

My previous power brick is rated at 18.5V for 3.5A .. but this
universal power brick only does voltages in whole numbers: 12V, 15V,
16V 18V, 19V @
4.5A and 20V, 24V @ 3.75 Amps.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B...ef=oss_product
Although .. it says: "covers between volatages also" on the above
linked page...

Which voltage should I choose, 18V or 19V?
What might be the problem for the Laptop since I can't choose 18.5V?
It seems to be working fine on 18V at the moment in initial testing.

The 18 volt setting will be fine. Most bricks are only a nominal voltage
+-5%. The only laptops that will care are the ones that look for the
ident from the power brick.

--
Best Regards:
Baron.
Old September 16th 10, 02:59 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
I AM PROTEUS

On Sep 15, 4:05*pm, Baron wrote:
[...]

I ALREADY TOLD HIM THAT

ARE YOU THE BARON OF STUPID

WHEN DID THEY INVENT LAPTOPS THAT CARE

I AM PROTEUS
Old September 16th 10, 04:53 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware,alt.engineering.electrical
I AM PROTEUS[_2_]

"Paul" wrote in message
123Jim wrote:
[...]

The only problem os MY FACE IS SMELLY....

BECAUSE I AM A PUSSYFACE.

I AM PROTEUS

Old September 16th 10, 04:49 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware,alt.engineering.electrical
Herbert John \Jackie\ Gleason

Default [email protected] NOTORIOUS NET ABUSER ABOUT TO TAKE A FALL

On Wed, 15 Sep 2010 23:14:41 -0700 (PDT), I AM PROTEUS
wrote:

snip

ASSWIPE YOU NEED A BULLET IN YOUR HEAD
OR A DEERS HORN UP YOUR ANUS

LEAVE STOP HARASSING ME AND THIS GROUP

IAP

snipped retarded stupid group abusing horse****

THREAT ABUSE COMPLAINT! ABSOLUTELY ILLEGAL!

complaint forwarded to:

Start looking over your shoulder, Roy.
Old September 16th 10, 04:51 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware,alt.engineering.electrical
123Jim

"123Jim" wrote in message
Hi all,
My second laptop power cable began to get flaky .. intermittently failing
to power/charge the laptop/battery.
I decided to get a replacement for it in the shape of an 'Expro Universal
Laptop AC Adapter'

My previous power brick is rated at 18.5V for 3.5A .. but this universal
power brick only does voltages in whole numbers: 12V, 15V, 16V 18V, 19V @
4.5A and 20V, 24V @ 3.75 Amps.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B...ef=oss_product
Although .. it says: "covers between volatages also" on the above linked
page...

Which voltage should I choose, 18V or 19V?
What might be the problem for the Laptop since I can't choose 18.5V?
It seems to be working fine on 18V at the moment in initial testing.

Thanks go to those who replied on topic
I used a multi-meter (and some soldering wire I happened to have handy)
...... it tells me the adapter is producing 18.51V ... so that'll do nicely!

Old September 16th 10, 05:47 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware,alt.engineering.electrical
I AM PROTEUS

On Sep 16, 11:51*am, "123Jim"
wrote:
"123Jim" wrote in message

[...]

YOU ARE WELCOME BUT
TOLD YOU SO
YOUR MORE THAN LUCKY
THE TOPIC CRUSHING OFFENSIVE TROLLS ABOUND HERE

I HAD TO MECHANIZE MYSELF TO GET BY THIS FAR

A FRIEND
I AM PROTEUS