Can't turn off wireless.

Old September 21st 09, 11:34 PM posted to comp.sys.laptops,alt.sys.pc-clone.acer
Paul H

Default Can't turn off wireless.

I have a new laptop - an ACER 5810TZ-4274 - but I cannot turn off the
wireless. Every other laptop had a switch, but I cannot find one in the
documentation. Since I use Ethernet at home, I don't want wireless
competing unless this causes no negative effects. TIA, Paul

Old September 21st 09, 11:59 PM posted to comp.sys.laptops,alt.sys.pc-clone.acer
Happy Oyster

On Mon, 21 Sep 2009 17:34:00 -0500, "Paul H"
wrote:

I have a new laptop - an ACER 5810TZ-4274 - but I cannot turn off the
wireless. Every other laptop had a switch, but I cannot find one in the
documentation. Since I use Ethernet at home, I don't want wireless
competing unless this causes no negative effects. TIA, Paul

You see the lamp for the "WLAN active"? What if you try

[notebook-functions]+F1
to [notebook-functions]+F12

Perhaps one of these combinations will work. Another item is how to switch of
the "idiot rubber", i.e. the rectangle input. Or do you have a trackball?
--
Gott läßt Israeliten 12000 Bewohner von Ai umbringen
(Das Buch Josua, Kap. 8) *** http://www.reimbibel.de ***
Old September 22nd 09, 12:16 AM posted to comp.sys.laptops,alt.sys.pc-clone.acer
Adrian C

Paul H wrote:
I have a new laptop - an ACER 5810TZ-4274 - but I cannot turn off the
wireless. Every other laptop had a switch, but I cannot find one in the
documentation. Since I use Ethernet at home, I don't want wireless
competing unless this causes no negative effects. TIA, Paul

See item #10 on page 5 of the quickstart quide. It's the leftmost button
out of the four between the speakers above the keyboard.

--
Adrian C

Old September 22nd 09, 12:44 AM posted to comp.sys.laptops,alt.sys.pc-clone.acer
Billsey

Paul H wrote:

I have a new laptop - an ACER 5810TZ-4274 - but I cannot turn off the
wireless. Every other laptop had a switch, but I cannot find one in the
documentation. Since I use Ethernet at home, I don't want wireless
competing unless this causes no negative effects. TIA, Paul

There shouldn't be any problem. If you have a wireless access point (such as
a router that has an antenna), then the laptop can be configured to connect
to your network wirelessly, in which case it would be just like any other
computer on the LAN. If you don't have a wireless access on your home
network then the laptop can't connect to your network that way anyway.
http://www.lulu.com/billsey

Old September 22nd 09, 03:03 PM posted to comp.sys.laptops,alt.sys.pc-clone.acer
Paul H

I just want an on-off switch, not disable it. I will only turn it off when
I am at home and plugged into Ethernet - else leave it on in the back yard
or at an internet cafe.

"BillW50" wrote in message
In ,
Paul H typed on Mon, 21 Sep 2009 22:21:21 -0500:
My entire home is wired for Ethernet, so when I'm home, this laptop
is plugged in, unless I decide to wander somewhere in the house or
yard, in which case my encrypted wireless supports me, slower but
acceptable.

Yes I would turn it off. Most BIOS you can turn it off there. Next if that
fails, I would disable it under the Device Manager. Although I don't know
if they will kill the power to the wireless, I've never tried it. Maybe I
will try that later. It does work for the built in webcam. vbg

--
Bill
Asus EEE PC 702G8 ~ 2GB RAM ~ 16GB-SDHC

Old September 22nd 09, 03:26 PM posted to comp.sys.laptops,alt.sys.pc-clone.acer
BillW50

In ,
Paul H typed on Tue, 22 Sep 2009 09:03:46 -0500:
I just want an on-off switch, not disable it. I will only turn it
off when I am at home and plugged into Ethernet - else leave it on in
the back yard or at an internet cafe.

Yes I understand that. But on the assumption there is no switch, then
what do you want to do? Just leave it on all of the time? Or do you want
to toggle it on and off through software?

Old September 25th 09, 07:05 PM posted to comp.sys.laptops,alt.sys.pc-clone.acer
Paul H

I found it. The indicator light above the function keys, while not
appearing to depress, somehow knows when one runs a finger over it, and
toggles the wireless off or on.

Old September 25th 09, 07:41 PM posted to comp.sys.laptops,alt.sys.pc-clone.acer
BillW50

In ,
Paul H typed on Fri, 25 Sep 2009 13:05:25 -0500:
I found it. The indicator light above the function keys, while not
appearing to depress, somehow knows when one runs a finger over it,
and toggles the wireless off or on.

Great deal Paul! Great to hear it. vbg

--
Bill
Windows 2000 SP4 (5.00.2195)

Old September 26th 09, 01:49 AM posted to comp.sys.laptops,alt.sys.pc-clone.acer
~misfit~[_13_]

Somewhere on teh intarwebs Paul H wrote:
I found it. The indicator light above the function keys, while not
appearing to depress, somehow knows when one runs a finger over it,
and toggles the wireless off or on.

*You* found it?

I assume that you'll be re-replying to Adrian C and apologising for getting
it wrong and thanking him for telling you where the switch was?
--
Shaun.

If there is a 'd' missing anywhere in my post it's likely due to my laptop's
keyboard 'd' key currently needing to be hit harder than the other keys.