SATA HDD not cooperating with ATAPI CD drive

Old July 10th 08, 02:12 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
[email protected]

Default SATA HDD not cooperating with ATAPI CD drive

Hi,

I have a following problem.

Just bought a new HDD drive for my notebook (Toshiba L30-115):
Samsung 250GB SATA (HM250JI).

The hard drive is well recognized and works fine (boots to a "plain"
system - command line only), but only, if the CD/DVD drive in my
notebook is not connected. Whenever I connect the optical drive -
computer freezes and hangs. Both drives work very well, when connected
separately.
Hard disk is on SATA connector, while the optical drive is on IDE/
ATAPI controller. There shouldn't be any incompatibility issues
between these two.

My question is: how to install an operating system?

- I will not be using CD/DVD drive again, because I want to install
Windows Home Server on it - all the rest operations will be performed
by network after installation.
- There is no USB booting possibility option on this machine (BIOS
doesn't support it)
- There is no possibility to install the system on the old drive (that
works fine with the CD), because it is too small to install WHS on it,
so I cannot make a ghost copy later
- There is absolutely no option in computer's BIOS (Phoenix), that
relates to SATA or IDE controller
- Yes, I have the latest BIOS updates installed

If you ever encountered this problem or have suggesion how to solve it
- please let me know.

Thanks in advance
LadyRoot
Old July 11th 08, 10:01 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
darklight

if you can hook the new hard drive up to another pc as an external hard
drive and partition it then create a folder then copy the os from the cd to
the folder.

Then put that hard drive back into the laptop boot up then navigate to the
folder that contains the os then just type setup then the os should install
from there.
Old July 11th 08, 10:59 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
GT[_4_]

wrote in message
Hi,

I have a following problem.

Just bought a new HDD drive for my notebook (Toshiba L30-115):
Samsung 250GB SATA (HM250JI).

The hard drive is well recognized and works fine (boots to a "plain"
system - command line only), but only, if the CD/DVD drive in my
notebook is not connected. Whenever I connect the optical drive -
computer freezes and hangs. Both drives work very well, when connected
separately.
Hard disk is on SATA connector, while the optical drive is on IDE/
ATAPI controller. There shouldn't be any incompatibility issues
between these two.

My question is: how to install an operating system?

What jumper options do you have on the IDE device? Perhaps it needs to be
set to master or cable select - try switching between the two. I don't know
how your system is setup, but perhaps the SATA device is not connected to a
true SATA controller, but an adapter into an IDE controler.

Old July 11th 08, 11:13 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
[email protected]

What jumper options do you have on the IDE device? Perhaps it needs to be
set to master or cable select - try switching between the two. I don't know
how your system is setup, but perhaps the SATA device is not connected to a
true SATA controller, but an adapter into an IDE controler.

there's no jumper on ATAPI slim device. Same as on SATA HDD.

Old July 11th 08, 11:15 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
[email protected]

On Jul 11, 11:01*am, darklight wrote:
if you can hook the new hard drive up to another pc as an external hard
drive and partition it then create a folder then copy the os from the cd to
the folder.

I'm afraid Windows Home Server installation doesn't allow to be run
from HDD. It clears entire hard disk during the installation process
(and there's no option to avoid it).

However, I was able to boot from USB floppy disk yesterdady, so
perhaps I'll get an external CD will be a solution.
Old July 11th 08, 12:38 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Big_Al

wrote:
[...]

Very interesting, do you still have support with Toshiba enough to ask
them if the SATA drive would be compatible? Since its a laptop, I
agree that this is brainless, the CD plugs in a slot, no jumpers, the HD
plugs in its slot, no jumpers. What more is there!
Old July 11th 08, 05:19 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
LadyRoot

Very interesting, do you still have support with Toshiba enough to ask
them if the SATA drive would be compatible? * * Since its a laptop, I
agree that this is brainless, the CD plugs in a slot, no jumpers, the HD
plugs in its slot, no jumpers. * What more is there

No, the laptop is too old to get support (2 years).
Also, I tried to boot from USB CD drive, but no result (BIOS doesn't
recognize it) - and installing system from floppy disks is not
possible anymore :/